DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

This is pretty much inspired by the PS+/PSN Store thread over in the video games forum. Figure it be easier/more productive to have posts about sales posted in a single thread instead of mixed in with discussion of news and commentary.

The biggest one at the moment seems to be the 750 issue Batman Sale but there's an also smaller Essential Batman Collections Sale which at $2.99 for each collection would be cheaper than buying the issues(if they're available) in the single issue sale. Figure I'll have no excuse not to have read The Long Halloween now.

Image is having a SDCC Sale which I don't really find too notable since all of it seems to go on sale pretty frequently.

There's a pretty big Viz manga sale which I believe is simply everything is $2 off the normal prices. Not really sure how interested any of the parties here would be of that.

And lastly from Comixology there's a Cartoon Network Sale with issues from the IDW releases series.

The Image sale seems to run till 11 PM EST tonight and the Batman Sale is to the 29th. Not sure about the rest.

Marvel is offering a month of Marvel Unlimited for 99 cents in honor of SDCC with code: SDCC14.

And lastly DC is offering a digital copy of  Batman: Eternal #1 for free on Amazon with code BATMAN75. Slickdeals link with details.

• Like 1

Great idea to keep a regular tally or notice of this for folks:

- That Batman sale is crazy. Just way too much to sift through everything. That said, you can get Year One for less than four bucks. Do that!

- With the Saga sale, you can get every single issue ('cept today's issue) for $18.81. To get the three trades, which does not include issue 19 & 20, it's $19.97. I know what I would do. Confused why the trades aren't sale priced accordingly

The biggest factor in my renewing my comic fandom is comixology and their various sales.  I'm reading a shit load of comics these days(and spending way too much money) and every week they put something on sale that make me think that looks interesting, I'll give it a shot for 99 cents.  Almost everything I read these days started with me buying the first issue for a buck, or buying the first trade for five.  An iPad, a Marvel Unlimited subcription, and a comixology account is basically a comic lover's dream.

Might as well repost this from the Non Big Two omnibus thread.

I don't know, if this is of interest to any of you guys, since noone replied the last two times I've advertised this, but just wanted to let you know that Humble Bundle has another great comic book deal online.

For $15 you can currently get the first five trades of Walking Dead and the first trades of Invincible, Super Dinosaur, Thief of Thieves, Ghosted and Witch Doctor.

I already have most of the books in this bundle but it's still worth it for the few I don't own yet and the money goes to a good cause.

https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

• Like 1

Great idea to keep a regular tally or notice of this for folks:

- That Batman sale is crazy. Just way too much to sift through everything. That said, you can get Year One for less than four bucks. Do that!

- With the Saga sale, you can get every single issue ('cept today's issue) for $18.81. To get the three trades, which does not include issue 19 & 20, it's $19.97. I know what I would do. Confused why the trades aren't sale priced accordingly

If only there was a comics podcast that discussed digital sales every week.

• Like 1

Yeah, I got the the first two volumes of Saga back in December for $4.99 each from Amazon. In fact, I'd imagine that the Comixology sale prices for Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 are probably close to the normal prices for them on Amazon.

The biggest factor in my renewing my comic fandom is comixology and their various sales.  I'm reading a shit load of comics these days(and spending way too much money) and every week they put something on sale that make me think that looks interesting, I'll give it a shot for 99 cents.  Almost everything I read these days started with me buying the first issue for a buck, or buying the first trade for five.  An iPad, a Marvel Unlimited subcription, and a comixology account is basically a comic lover's dream.

It's really helped me to try things outside of Marvel and DC. 

Also, Dark Horse is apparently having a SDCC sale also. It's not on Comixology but it's available on Amazon and Google Play Store looks to have price matched it but they don't have a dedicated sale page so you just have to search for the titles. Probably the most notable inclusions I saw were Vol. 1-7 of Sin City.  I will say that if given a choice I go with the Google Play Store over Amazon simply because the Android Kindle app doesn't support landscape mode while Google Play Books does.

I am surprised that Knightfall isn't a part of the Essential Batman sale.

I was looking at that, and the individual issues are on sale.  The problem is the collections are cheaper than buying every single issue with the discount. 

Humble Bundle is actually running TWO comics specials right now. In addition to the TWD bundle mentioned above, today they started a Transformers deal. Basic "at least $1" package is the first 4 years of the 1980s Marvel series. Green 'beat the average price (currently around $8.50) gets you All Hail Megatron, Autocracy and five Spotlight one-shots. The blue tier is $15 and gets you the first two TPBs each of the two current ongoings. More stuff, probably green tier, will be added next Wed. I'll probably jump on at green, since I already have everything in the blue tier and $15 is a lot to spend this month for double-dipping.

• Like 1

Humble Bundle is actually running TWO comics specials right now. In addition to the TWD bundle mentioned above, today they started a Transformers deal. Basic "at least $1" package is the first 4 years of the 1980s Marvel series. Green 'beat the average price (currently around $8.50) gets you All Hail Megatron, Autocracy and five Spotlight one-shots. The blue tier is $15 and gets you the first two TPBs each of the two current ongoings. More stuff, probably green tier, will be added next Wed. I'll probably jump on at green, since I already have everything in the blue tier and $15 is a lot to spend this month for double-dipping.

The Walking Dead Bundle sounds interesting because I've wanted to check out Invincible.

I am surprised that Knightfall isn't a part of the Essential Batman sale.

I was looking at that, and the individual issues are on sale.  The problem is the collections are cheaper than buying every single issue with the discount. 

The worst thing about DC sales is that they tend to never put the collections on sale with the single issues. Still their sales have improved a lot from how they used to be. They used to offer up the most random issues under whatever theme they had for the sale.

Is any of the Transformers stuff any good?

I've never been a huge Transforrmers fan, but I can't say no to  a good deal.

"More Than Meets the Eye" in the $15 tier is one of the best space-opera comics in years. I'm not honestly a huge fan of the stuff in the green tier; the Marvel stuff is enjoyable but nothing special with a few exceptions (some of which are not in the bundle).

Holy shit, maybe it's finally time to get a tablet and really jump onto the digital bandwagon.

Comixology have just announced they're offering DRM-free downloads as CBZ and PDF from now one.

Now if only Marvel were to get on board, I would buy a tablet immediately.

For anyone who's still on the fence about the Walking Dead bundle, they've just added the second TPBs of Super Dinosaur and Invincible and the first TPBs of Clone and Manifest Destiny.

Everyone who already bought the bundle can download them as well.