DVDVR Message Board

Digital Comics Sales and Discussion Thread

blitzkrieg

On 3/13/2018 at 2:51 AM, piranesi said:

So when I downloaded the Comixology app to read my cheesy horror comics it I guess signed me up for a trial of Comixology Unlimted.

Is it worth it to keep it for awhile?  Or is it just a teaser thing where it lets you read one or two issues and then you have to buy the rest?

It's got a rotating collection of stuff (as was pointed out above, mostly but not entirely volume 1s) but it also gets you a 10% discount on most non-DC publishers and a 15% discount with Marvel.  Mine pays for itself more months than not, but we'll see if that continues after Fresh Start and whatever the fuck IDW is doing with the Hasbro stuff.

Comixology has a Captain Marvel/Shazam sale going on. The Jeff Smith Monster Society mini is $6, the entire Ordway Power of Shazam is marked down to a buck (shame they don't have TPBs to buy, it's still almost $50 for the full set) and they have First Thunder and Cap's JSA stint marked down too, as well as other stuff.  Weirdly, they only have the second TPB of the all-ages Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, but it's still a great comic and doesn't really require you to have read issues 1-6.

• 3 months later...

On Amazon or Comixology through Monday you can get the Deluxe digital edition of Scott Snyder's entire Swamp Thing run (including the zero issue, the annual and the two Animal Man issues if crossed over with) for six bucks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Comixology has a Death of Superman sale. Getting the entire 90s saga would cost you about $30, but among the non-fatal TPBs you can get All-Star Superman for $6.  The first volume of each Rebirth Superman book is in there too. There are other things in the sale but they are objectively not as good as ASS and many of them are not as good as the least-good part of the Death and Return of Superman.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Flash sale on Comixology right now is pretty good.  I just picked up the four Waid TPBs (going from Born to Run thru #105) for $6 each, and am thinking about filling in the gap between where I fell off the Rebirth series (Rogues arc) and where I picked it back up (the Annual that set up the Grodd and Flash War stories).

On 8/31/2018 at 9:37 AM, supremebve said:

There is a buy one get one sale on Marvel comics on Comixology.  Pretty good deal if you've fallen behind and want to catch up.

Heads up, this sale is still going on...and includes the new releases for this week.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Heads up, this sale is still going on...and includes the new releases for this week.

The whole sale was apparently pulled because of this glitch (it was actually giving you this weeks books for free apparently)

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The whole sale was apparently pulled because of this glitch (it was actually giving you this weeks books for free apparently)

Really? my app seems to still has a tab for the sale, even though it is moved back.  I haven't tried to buy anything else, but they haven't given me any indication that they are going to charge me for the comics I received for free.

• 3 weeks later...

I am assuming since it has a digital component that discussion on the DC Universe App can go in here right?  Has anyone downloaded it and is subscribed to it.  I bit the bullet as an early adopter about a week ago and have been steadily using it over time.  I mainly was interested in it with the Digital Comics library  ( hoping it would be akin to the Marvel Unlimited App, that I love to pieces).  The Comics section is sparse but I did binge read some Kamandi that I wanted to read before tackling the notion of getting the immense HC that just came out.  I was incredibly surprised by the animated library.  Anyone else have any experiences or thoughts?

6 hours ago, Justin877 said:

I am assuming since it has a digital component that discussion on the DC Universe App can go in here right?  Has anyone downloaded it and is subscribed to it.  I bit the bullet as an early adopter about a week ago and have been steadily using it over time.  I mainly was interested in it with the Digital Comics library  ( hoping it would be akin to the Marvel Unlimited App, that I love to pieces).  The Comics section is sparse but I did binge read some Kamandi that I wanted to read before tackling the notion of getting the immense HC that just came out.  I was incredibly surprised by the animated library.  Anyone else have any experiences or thoughts?

I really love the reader, wish there were more comics worth reading.  The choices they've made utterly astound me--complete run of 90s Aquaman, but not even Kingdom Come #1?--and I've had a hard time finding stuff I really want to hunker down with, but when you actually find something you want to read, the experience of reading is sooo much better than Marvel Unlimited.  

I've been noodling with the TV/movie archive more.  I hadn't realized just how many of the direct-to-video movies I'd missed; the total lack of Filmation content is hugely disappointing.  Those shows are terrible and I know they're terrible, but they're the reason I knew who Captain Marvel, the Atom and Kid Flash were a decade before I ever bought a comic that had any of them in it.I know a lot of people will be disappointed at the absence of Batman 66, but getting that out on Blu-Ray was such a colossal rights clusterfuck that I never for a second expected it to be here.

22 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I really love the reader, wish there were more comics worth reading.  The choices they've made utterly astound me--complete run of 90s Aquaman, but not even Kingdom Come #1?--and I've had a hard time finding stuff I really want to hunker down with, but when you actually find something you want to read, the experience of reading is sooo much better than Marvel Unlimited.  

I've been noodling with the TV/movie archive more.  I hadn't realized just how many of the direct-to-video movies I'd missed.

I do like the reader it is much smoother than the Marvel Unlimited one, I do wish they would add more content.  In due time I reckon.  I want more Silver and Bronze Age!!

I mainly watch the TV and Movies through my ROKu which is linked to the DC Universe App.  I am looking forward into rewatching Batman: Brave and The Bold

• 3 months later...

DC finally buckled and became the last major publisher to contribute to Comixology Unlimited.  Looking at their initial offering, (a) it's better than what they're putting on Universe and fuck them for that, (b) it's still not that exciting, and the 15 percent discount will end up meaning more to me than the lending library (though I did start Wild Storm v1 out of boredom today).

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:10 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

DC finally buckled and became the last major publisher to contribute to Comixology Unlimited.  Looking at their initial offering, (a) it's better than what they're putting on Universe and fuck them for that, (b) it's still not that exciting, and the 15 percent discount will end up meaning more to me than the lending library (though I did start Wild Storm v1 out of boredom today).

I signed up for Universe about 3 days before this was announced, and couldn't believe how much more they gave Comixology than they gave themselves.  The Universe selection is a joke.  

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like DC realized what a tactical mistake they made and added a shit ton more to Universe. Still doesn't rise to the level of MU but I don't think it was ever intended to. They're treating it as added value to the video selection, not a reason to subscribe on it's own, and that's a mistake

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...