DVDVR Message Board

WholeFnMachine

How many Very Special Episodes did Facts Of Life have? I seem to recall them piling on the message pretty heavily early on (the girl who beats Blair in the student elections commits suicide; Blair fakes a school newspaper story about a girl at Eastland having an abortion, then finds out there was a girl who had one; etc. etc. etc.).

Family Ties had this one early on where a family friend tries to molest Mallory. Way too early in the shows run to pull that shit. 

Worst part is it did not seem like that sort of episode, just did it out of nowhere. I prefer the Different Strokes method. ANNOUNCE that shit so I can prepare myself. I felt kinda violated by the show,. 

Pretty sure that "Different Strokes" still gets the award for "Most Fucked Up Very Special Episode Ever" with the Dudley gets diddled by Gordon Jump episode.

And all in with Six's hawtness.

Also, we cannot discuss "Very special" episodes and not talk about Roseanne. They had that shit on lock. Roseanne is so fucking good and I don't even love the lead.

Roseanne is a show I never watched when t was on originally but caught in reruns and was stunned at how good it was. For most of its run, it was the most realistic sitcom of all-time and was flat out funny as hell.

Do not watch the last season.

Me and a friend watched an episode of "Roseanne" where Dan proclaimed himself the "Drywall Master of the Universe," and to this very day that's still our code phrase for constipation.

Also, we cannot discuss "Very special" episodes and not talk about Roseanne. They had that shit on lock. Roseanne is so fucking good and I don't even love the lead.

Roseanne is a show I never watched when t was on originally but caught in reruns and was stunned at how good it was. For most of its run, it was the most realistic sitcom of all-time and was flat out funny as hell.
Do not watch the last season.
Hey, I did say "most" :)

Mr. Belvedere had a few VS episodes.  One was similar to the Dudley/Gordon Jump ep of Diff'rent Strokes, where Wesley was molested by a camp counselor.  The other big show dealt with Wesley's friend having to leave school because he had contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion and everyone turning their back on the poor kid.

I think the VS Roseanne episodes don't feel like that's what they are, because the show had such a grounded realism that, say, Jackie's asshole boyfriend beating her up wasn't out of place to feel "special."  It was just a horrible part of real life.

Mr. Belevedere had the duper creepy one where the oldest son got seduced by divorcee while delivering pizza.

Geez, is there such a thing as a VSE that doesn't revolve around creepy subject matter?

Heck the first like 3 seasons of Beverly Hills 90210 were just hour long VSE but never advertised as such

James

I think the VS Roseanne episodes don't feel like that's what they are, because the show had such a grounded realism that, say, Jackie's asshole boyfriend beating her up wasn't out of place to feel "special."  It was just a horrible part of real life.

Fowler and I don't always agree but when it comes to Spring Stampede and Roseanne we're best buds..

• Like 2