DVDVR Message Board

WholeFnMachine

The Hub network is showing reruns of Blossom every night,my wife and I don't miss an episode. This has led us to realize the following occurs in every episode:

1. Someone mentions Tony's past drug/alcohol addiction
2. Someone mentions how dumb Joey is

3. VESTS

Anyone else watching this 90s treasure trove?

Have they gotten to any of the "Very Special" episodes yet? Because I'm pretty sure that no series had more "Very Special" episodes than Blossom did.

I'm pretty sure 7th Heaven is the king of "Very Special Episodes". 

• Like 1

Have they gotten to any of the "Very Special" episodes yet? Because I'm pretty sure that no series had more "Very Special" episodes than Blossom did.

I'm pretty sure 7th Heaven is the king of "Very Special Episodes". 

Good point. . .forgot all about that one.

I don't know that any sitcom can top the Fresh Prince Very Special Episode trifecta of "Carlton finds out about racist cops", "Will gets shot", and "Will's dad is an asshole".

"I hit Alex."

OK between that and "WHY AM I ALIVE?" Family Ties has some potent Very Special cachet as well...

Agreed on Six and Fresh Prince will forever be in my top 5. Y'all forgot the "Will had drugs in his locker and Carlton took them" episode. But it didn't hit as hard as the "Why don't he want me MAN?!"  I still get choked up over that one.

Also, we cannot discuss "Very special" episodes and not talk about Roseanne. They had that shit on lock. Roseanne is so fucking good and I don't even love the lead.

"Will's dad" was one of those few (maybe only) "very special" episodes that actually managed to move past the cornyness and become something pretty dramatic and real. Like, you can see it coming a mile off but Will's reaction is just so heartbreaking it unexpectedly gets to you. Also, Uncle Phil tearing the racist cops a new one.

Compare that with Jesse from Saved by the Bell getting hooked on caffeine pills.

I have to say, once you get past Tiffani Amber being the IT girl of the times there isn't much to Saved By the Bell. I watched it as a kid but it's pretty terrible. Fresh Prince is arguably a classic sitcom. Fuck it, it's classic.

Zack is fucking awful. And a very good argument can be made for him being a psychopath. 

There was the extra creepy "Six has an affair with married guy/warrior poet/not a parody of Joey Buttafucco" Very Special Episode, which might be the creepiest "Ripped From The Headlines" thing NBC had ever done! 

James

• Like 2

Also, we cannot discuss "Very special" episodes and not talk about Roseanne. They had that shit on lock. Roseanne is so fucking good and I don't even love the lead.

Roseanne is a show I never watched when t was on originally but caught in reruns and was stunned at how good it was. For most of its run, it was the most realistic sitcom of all-time and was flat out funny as hell.