DVDVR Message Board

BEST OF 90s - Last Chance Pimping, Discussion, etc...

RIPPA

I am not creating all the pimping threads again so just use this for any last minute discussion, etc..

I also remind folks of things like documentaries and TV movies and such

If you have any questions about eligibility, let me know.

What did you decide to reset the date to submit?

I could turn in a '90s list, but I have not watched much in preparation (I have not watched much film at all the last year or so), and I know my list would be drastically different if I watched stuff that I've missed.

It's Sunday, August 4

Obviously there is a little flex time around that since obviously I have to enter ballots, do corrections, etc... and I always give people who say they are working on it to finish.

But we are talking days... not moving back another month

I'll be sending a ballot. Right now I'm trying to organize my list. Why the hell doesn't Flickchart let you filter movies using more than one category? I really need "movies from the 90s" AND "movies I have seen" at the same time, but you can only pick one or the other. FC's stupid algorithm always gives you waaaay more unseen movies to rate than seen ones, so even narrowing it down to Just Nineties it still means that I spend most of my time clicking "haven't seen it" over and over again on newly-uploaded obscure crap rather than reorganizing the stuff I've already got on my list.

Yeah - I used Flickchart to provide me a list of what I had seen already.

And just doing a straight up/down vote on if I would vote for something or not - I still had like 170 movies left.

I would highly recommend people check out Nobody's Fool and Trees Lounge. I know Trees Lounge is on Netflix Instant. 

Also Maniac Cop 2 is one of the best action movies in a decade filled with good action movies.

Hoping Batman: Mask of the Phantasm places higher than last time.

It will be decently high on mine but who knows if and where it will end up. I tend to look at it one of those movies that people would forget is eligible (same thing with something like the Showtime remake of 12 Angry Men).

Also - I am pretty sure that some folks who voted for it last time aren't voting this time (Ray and Slotman are two who spring to mind.)

Phil

TOKYO FIST.

:(But don't worry, I got this one, it'll at least make the list. I LOVE that movie, it's easily my favorite from Tsukamoto, marrying his insane style to a story and characters I finally gave a damn about.

Bah, there's just no way I'll have time to watch it. I've had the damn thing for years, too. A SNAKE OF JUNE is my favourite, but both of those mentioned look good.

Y'all better back me up on THE STORY OF RICKY.

Haven't seen Tokyo Fist in many years and had too many films to get through to give it a re-watch, but it left a strong enough impression to get a vote anyway.  Somehow I have never seen Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

A few films that didn't make the cut the last time around, that hopefully show up here: Fresh, Les visiteurs, Peace Hotel, The Nasty Girl, Swallowtail Butterfly, I Hired A Contract Killer, Muriel's Wedding.

Anyone seen Freeway with Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland? Because it's worth hitting up. Really great performances from both of them and it's a fun take on the Red Riding Hood story.Also I really hope other people love Ravenous the way I do. Which is more than Shawshank Redemption.

I was kinda turned off by Freeway.  The material had an unnecessarily dark edge, and Witherspoon's character is such a mean dimwitted bitch that sometimes it's hard to sympathize her; what did the prison guard do to deserve being strangled to death?  Why is Sean Young's suicide played as such a thrown-under-the-bus joke?  Why did the grandma need to endure that fate?  Everyone is so cruel and awful, it's one of those movies that seems to just hate all of its own characters.  

Ravenous was great the first time I saw it.  However, it's one of those movies which has a bunch of really big plot holes that become frustratingly apparent upon a rewatch.  Still very stylish, however; and unlike Freeway it gets a lot of fun mileage out of the idiosyncratic ensemble cast.  

...I still haven't seen Hoop Dreams.  I know, I know.  It's on The Big List, which has over a thousand titles on it, and I'm not much of a documentary guy.  

I just saw Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare and it will NOT be making the list.  New Nightmare might, it's okay, but I'm still not completely wowed by anything Craven did after the 70s.  Escape From L.A. is surprisingly better than I remember it, but it's still not close to making the list.  (See, I AM doing some last-minute cramming, not just stalling and procrastinating.)

I also liked Escape From L.A. a lot more than I remembered. The plastic surgery stuff in New Beverly Hills is hilarious and horrifying.

And I know someone else here has Freeway prominently ranked on their 100.

Haven't seen Tokyo Fist in many years and had too many films to get through to give it a re-watch, but it left a strong enough impression to get a vote anyway. Somehow I have never seen Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.A few films that didn't make the cut the last time around, that hopefully show up here: Fresh, Les visiteurs, Peace Hotel, The Nasty Girl, Swallowtail Butterfly, I Hired A Contract Killer, Muriel's Wedding.

Well those are a bunch of interesting films I sure wont get around to seeing...Gonna try, however, to get in TOKYO FIST and RED SQUIRREL in the next couple of days

I hit up Trees Lounge on Netflix because of the pimping here. Really good movie. Not sure if I'll find room for it on the list, but it's one to consider for sure. 90 minutes of Steve Buscemi being a shitty loser is the selling point. Chloe Sevigny has some amazing close-up shots that have subtle face movements that express so many different feelings. You know exactly what's going on in her head nearly every second. Just a great small performance that makes me wish she was in more things.

If you got the time, try and fit it in.

I've got Atom Egoyan's Exotica, Riki-oh, and maaaybe one more before I feel I okay with calling it a day. So feel free to pimp one more movie that you absolutely hope someone else watches.

I've got Atom Egoyan's Exotica, Riki-oh, and maaaybe one more before I feel I okay with calling it a day. So feel free to pimp one more movie that you absolutely hope someone else watches.

Good last minute under the radar ones are Nobody's Fool, One False Move, The Spanish Prisoner, Another Day in Paradise or Felicia's Journey

I saw Another Day in Paradise when it hit video way back when. Between that, Kids and Bully, I thought Larry Clark was going to have a pretty decent career, but I don't know what the hell that guy has done since then. 

Finished Riki-Oh today. I don't think it'll make it on. Maybe. It's just about perfect, though. I wish I had seen it with my friends in college because it would have been an experience that would give it that nostalgia edge.

Ran into copies of Double Life of Veronique and Vanya on 42nd St. at the Library. So it looks like I'm all locked up now.

I reeeeeeally wish I got Nobody's Fool in. Won't have time to get it in from the Netflix. But I will say I'm pretty pleased with the list I've got right now. I would have liked to rewatch some of them, like Quiz Show and Schindler's List, but just couldn't get around to it.