DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MARC MERO

RIPPA

Mero is/was a good dude. I'll always remember him going on RSPW back in the mid-90s to solicit ideas for his character and even giving us a shout-out that made TV before one of his TBS matches.

• Like 2

Mero is a guy who Mick Foley seemed to want to talk smack about because he managed to land a good contract?  Johnny turned into a legitimate good wrestler by the time he got to the television title.  His knee injury in WWE really slowed him down though.

Mero seems to get shat on by a lot of guys, not just Foley, based on how much he was paid.  I think at his best Mero was pretty good, and before he hurt his knee he was an exceptional heavyweight high flyer.  He got paid more than Foley and Austin before Foley and Austin became two of the three most beloved guys in their most profitable run, and they have never forgave him for it.  Did they expect him to take a pay cut, or turn down the money?

Oh, come on now.  the Little Richard boxing hybrid gimmick of Johnny B. Badd was great wrasslin and Mero morphed into a good worker inspite of himself and the gimmick.

OH NOW YOU JUST HUSH, TEDDY~!

• Like 3

I feel like I need to go back and watch some Wildman/Badd matches. I never once liked Mero, in either gimmick. To be blunt, I thought he sucked. You guys seem to like him an awful lot, but there is something about good workers having shitty gimmicks that make me just not like the wrestler at all.

I will say that I really hate the Badd Day as a finisher.

The Kiss That Don't Miss left hook was damn pretty and was the best and Johnny putting the little velcro lips on your cheek was just like a Russian Flag Burial or the Beautiful Ones putting a paper bag over a chicks head after she got beat down.

I'm a mark for King Kong Bundy five count shit like that.

I will say that I really hate the Badd Day as a finisher.

The Kiss That Don't Miss left hook was damn pretty and was the best and Johnny putting the little velcro lips on your cheek was just like a Russian Flag Burial☆or the Beautiful Ones putting a paper bag over a chicks head after she got beat down.

I'm a mark for King Kong Bundy five count shit like that.

☆ still available. Only $5.00

When he first started in WCW I couldn't stand him.  I don't remember which happened first, the gimmick getting toned way down or him getting good, but once both things happened he was great.   Ultimately I think he would've been better off staying in WCW, and how many guys can you say that about?

Mero is/was a good dude. I'll always remember him going on RSPW back in the mid-90s to solicit ideas for his character and even giving us a shout-out that made TV before one of his TBS matches.

Wow. A million billion stars to anyone who can remember any of the suggestions people offered him, esp. any he actually adopted.

Mero was a good hand. The Pillman match at Fall Brawl '95 is a fucking great match and it wasn't all Pillman. Dude knew how to go.

I watched that last month and was impressed with Mero. It goes a little long and has some sloppy bits but overall a really fun match that highlights Mero's strengths.

Wow. A million billion stars to anyone who can remember any of the suggestions people offered him, esp. any he actually adopted.

Mero RSPW posts

Thread titled "Bullshit B Badd" (12/26/95): "I have proven time & time again that I am Johnny B. Badd

I have talked to many of you on the phone, sent autographed

pictures, e-mail, ect. ect.  I can understand why people are

skeptical. There's a lot of people who say they are Flair, Hogan

and so on. Since I am with these guys I would be the first to 

know who is online. James Finch is in charge of the wrestling

folders in Wrestling rap he goes by MadDogJMF he can verify

who I am. Untill then "Have a Badd-Day"

JBB"

(12/29/95): "Some of us wrestlers actually do care what the fans think.

I happen to be one of them. I respect your opinions and 

appreciate your comments. If it was'nt for you people

watching I would'nt have a job..I thank you!!

JBB"

Lou Pickney said this on 2/10/96: "Did anyone else catch the RSPW reference on tonight's (2/10/1996) 

WCW Saturday Night program by Johnny B. Badd?  Before his squash match he 

pulled a frisbie out and held it up to the camera.  Suddenly, Badd 

flipped the frisbie, and written on the inside was R S P W.  Was I just 

imagining this or did anyone else catch this?  I know that JBB reads RSPW 

from time to time, does anyone have any insight on this?"

Johnny B. Badd to R.S.P.W. (3/12/96): "As most of you know here on R.S.P.W. I have left WCW

and I am heading to the WWF. My contract ended on 2/28 with WCW. I want to

take this time to thank everyone here for your support. I have been

reading your posts for many months now and can't tell you how much

entertainment all of you have provided for me! I have no hard feelings

towards anyone at WCW. This was a decision that my family and I feel it's

the best career move. I will be traveling a lot more with the WWF and

won't be at my computer as much, but rest assured I won't forget RSPW and

the greatest fans in the world!

God Bless,

JBB"

Marc Mero to RSPW (3/28/96): "I thought I would tell everyone on RSPW that I will be at Wrestlemania!

I will be called "WildThing" Marc Mero. I probably won't wrestle until the

TV taping the next day. I can't wait to get out there!!!!"

Marc Mero's New Screenname (4/4/96): "To keep in touch with my felloew RSPWers I thought I would let everyone

know I will not be using Badd123 anymore. My new screen name is WildManMM.

That will start today 4/4.  So long JBB you gave me 5 good years!  

Long Live the WildMan!!

Marc Mero"

He was the first person I saw who busted out the ssp. I'm gonna say Summerslam 96 against goldust, iirc.

My tiny little mind at the time couldn't comprehend how he did it. Still an amazing feat to this day.

I never got the hate for Mero, solid wrestler, great signature spots and a great entertainer. My only problem was his top rope sunset flip finisher AFTER he'd hit them with his KO punch.

If he hadn't messed his knee up and had to adapt his style/been overshadowed by Sable he'd have been a main eventer IMO. I didn't mind his boxer-esque gimmick when he came back from injury but the lack of energy/high flying moves really took the shine away. And Sable's boobs.

FWIW, "I'm so pretty I should've been born a girl" is the best/worst catchphrase ever. Now let's bitch about his contract some more...

• Like 1

Badd was the first guy I saw get a good match out of Dallas Page back when Page was just a jobber to the stars and didn't even have the diamond cutter yet.  The dude could be a bit awkward in his execution but totally a guy like DDP who worked on his craft and got better over time.  Watching his first couple of matches were he was 275 pounds and ended matches as fast as possible and where he ended up as a really good hand was inspiring.

Which finisher was the Badd Day?

Mero is one of those guys that had consistantly good to great matches for a good long time, and was not lazy at house shows.

The first house show I ever went to, waaay back in the early 90's, when my dad came with me because he didn't think I should be going to the old Townshuip Theater alone, he tried to go for one of his high flying moves and nearly got tangled in the lights that were way too close to the ring. He adjusted, and it still was a damn good match.

Badd was the first guy I saw get a good match out of Dallas Page back when Page was just a jobber to the stars and didn't even have the diamond cutter yet.  The dude could be a bit awkward in his execution but totally a guy like DDP who worked on his craft and got better over time.  Watching his first couple of matches were he was 275 pounds and ended matches as fast as possible and where he ended up as a really good hand was inspiring.

Which finisher was the Badd Day?

It's the thing he does at 4:40 here.