DVDVR Message Board

RIP James Garner (1928-2014)

odessasteps

My Fellow Americans is still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's very depressing that they're both gone now.

"Someone please inform the vice president that these people come from the Nether LANDS and not the Nether REGIONS"

• Like 1

Some of my earliest memories are of my dad watching the Rockford Files.

I remember my grandpa messing with me by telling me that Barnaby Jones was Rockford's dad.  I was super pissed because I was pretty sure it wasn't true but there was no way to prove it.

Some of my earliest memories are of my dad watching the Rockford Files.

I remember my grandpa messing with me by telling me that Barnaby Jones was Rockford's dad.  I was super pissed because I was pretty sure it wasn't true but there was no way to prove it.

You could have just watched the Rockford Files, since his father was a regular character.

Marlowe is a criminally underrated movie. Rockford Files is possibly the best PI show ever made (I think only Magnum comes close).

Hell I even liked Garner in Space Cowboys!

James

The Bruce Lee part alone makes Marlowe  a must-see. Also a fan of Rockford and Support Your Local Gunfighter. Haven't seen them in years, but I really liked Tank and Murphy's Romance when they came out. Pretty much all of his 60's work is worth the time invested in viewing.

Yeah.  But that guy looked a lot like Buddy Ebsen.  Just enough to throw me off.  It didn't help that in that picture of him sitting on the table during the opening credits, he was dressed like Jed Clampett.

I suppose if you squinted really hard and assumed Buddy shrank dramatically with age, you might confuse the two. Well, until Noah started to speak, anyway.

I was 8.  I was also pretty sure the two dudes from EMERGENCY! were reformed, later-in-life versions of the DUKES OF HAZARD

Exhibit A:

The_Rockford_Files_title_screen.jpg

If you were 8 and your Gramps told you that was Barnaby Jones, you'd have some sleepless nights trying to map the universe, buddy.

Remember that in the pre-internet era Grampa was the closest thing we had to IMDB.

• Like 2

GvPu0R7h.jpg

Garner's statue in his hometown of Norman, OK. In other news, James Garner was from Norman, OK and had an awesomely jaunty statue cast in his honor.

• Like 1

I was 8.  I was also pretty sure the two dudes from EMERGENCY! were reformed, later-in-life versions of the DUKES OF HAZARD

Exhibit A:

The_Rockford_Files_title_screen.jpg

If you were 8 and your Gramps told you that was Barnaby Jones, you'd have some sleepless nights trying to map the universe, buddy.

Remember that in the pre-internet era Grampa was the closest thing we had to IMDB.

That's Ernest Borgnine's younger brother.

Turner Classic Movies Pays Tribute to James Garner on Monday, July 28 with the following festival of films. This program will replace the previously scheduled movies for that day so please take note.

The new schedule for Monday, July 28 will be:

6:00 AM Toward the Unknown

8:00 AM Shoot-out at Medicine Bend

9:30 AM Grand Prix

12:30 PM Cash McCall

2:15 PM The Wheeler Dealers

4:00 PM Darby's Rangers

6:15 PM Mister Buddwing

8:00 PM The Thrill of it All

10:00 PM The Americanization of Emily

12:00 AM The Children's Hour

2:00 AM Victor/Victoria