DVDVR Message Board

Some Rick Rude questions?

Anybody know the story behind Rude quitting Jim Crockett in 1987 despite holding the tag titles, and then quitting WWF in 1990 in the middle of a feud with the Big Boss Man (I'm assuming the latter was being pissed at going from feuding for the World Title and headlining SummerSlam to feuding with a prison guard over "your momma" jokes)?

Also, has Meltzer or anyone ever discussed the odds of Rude getting into the WWE HOF or getting a DVD release?  I assume Vince is still mad due to quitting WWE/ECW and jumping to Nitro.

Oh I hadn't heard about the Warrior payday bit. That's some horseshit. Everyone and their mother knew Rude was putting in some king sized work for that match. 

According to the Meltzer obit, Rude got injured in the fall of 1990, but was continued to be advertised for house shows that he wasn't going to be at.  Rude thought since they were promoting him for shows, he should be paid something for them.  McMahon disagreed, so Rude walked.  And they still advertised Rude for matches (including Survivor Series) despite him having already quit.

Rude probably doesn't have any vocal advocates in WWE as far as a DVD and the HOF goes. 

Maybe Steamboat, or Austin?  I dunno.

Also, as far as jumping from JCP to WWF, that's just how Vince did things.  He offers you a job, you take it, and fuck giving notice.

Yup.  It was supposed to be Vader challenging Rude for the International Title at Slamboree '94, but Rude's back gave out right about the time he took the belt back from Sting in Japan.

The plus side, we did get another Sting/Vader classic as a fill-in.

Does anyone know of any shoot interviews with Rude? I've always wanted to hear some out of character stuff from him and the most I could find was him on Arsenio Hall and that was him being, well, Rude. Loved that guy.

He went face in Memphis for awhile and (I think) had a blink-and-you-miss-it spell in Florida as a face. I think that's it, not counting his enhancement days as Ricky Rood.

I know it isn't what you're looking for, but Rude was a babyface in ECW from when he came in attacking Shane Douglas, to when he teased an in-ring return only to attack Dreamer/Sandman and not get back in the ring. 

When he came out with Sandman & Dreamer for that cagematch, the Arena was just molten for him to get back in the ring. 

I had to go back and watch the May 4 1994  Sting © vs. Rick Rude -WCW International Championship from the Fukuoka Dome match.  I always enjoyed Rick Rude as that dude who was literally cut from granite but  had that certain "I'm going to steal your girlfriend and your going to like it" kind of vibe.  I enjoy this and the Bash At The Beach match he had with Sting

There was that weird indy fed he wrestled in about 1991 where he had a three way feud with the Honky Tonk Man and I *think* Greg Valentine over who was the best IC champ of all time and subsequently the best neck breaker? Rude was the de facto face in it all too.

• Like 1

"DAMN IT STEVE IT'S AN UPPER BODY BUSINESS!"

Rude was great in ECW, really makes me wish that he could've been an active wrestler during the Attitude/Monday Night Wars era.

I'll always remember him slamming Hogan and Bischoff on Hardcore TV "Hogan's balls and Bischoff's chin" "what's hanging and where they're banging"

It's a shame he couldn't physically get in the ring and wrestle, I would've liked to see him and Douglas actually wrestle each other.

I think his proposed WCW face turn against Vader would have been all kinds of fun, and I think the fanbase would have lost their shit cheering for him, like when Piper turned face in the WWF.

Most of what i remember from Rude in ECW are all the double entendres about Francine.

Pretty much all I remember is that he spanked Francine.  Which... um...  probably says more about me than it does about Rude in ECW.

• Like 1

I liked when Rude would bust out a double knee drop from the top rope and get the pin in WCW.  Rude was awesome.  Did he ever have a real face run in one of the big companies/territories?

Him defending Madusa over Paul E. Dangerously made him a face for a short moment until he went to wrestle with her to his side.