DVDVR Message Board

Some Rick Rude questions?

I'd imagine that a guy like Vince has a respect for Ride for being a guy who told him"Fuck you" twice.

I like to think that if he hadn't died so damn young he would have taken the color spot from Smackdown or even replaced Lawler on RAW, goddamn could he talk. In another time line maybe he doesn't get hurt and jumps back to Vince at somepoint and has five star matches with Bret and Shawn. He has a legends figure and was in at least one video game, so he probably wouldn't have been on that bad of terms with vince. I think he didn't have a contract or a easily breakable once, as he left after Montreal; probably there are not alot of fans who would by a DVD which is a damn shame. . .

Was WCW building up to a Rude/Bret match if Rick did make his comeback? There's a Bret/Curt match on a ppv in 98 where  Bret wins by DQ and Rude comes into the ring and nails him with a vicious Rude Awakening.

It sucks that Rude would have been just another flunky in the NWO, but that would have been a fun feud for the couple of weeks it probably would have lasted in WCW.

I think his proposed WCW face turn against Vader would have been all kinds of fun, and I think the fanbase would have lost their shit cheering for him, like when Piper turned face in the WWF.

Absolutely agree with this. I think babyface Rude could've been huge.

• 7 months later...

Was WCW building up to a Rude/Bret match if Rick did make his comeback? There's a Bret/Curt match on a ppv in 98 where  Bret wins by DQ and Rude comes into the ring and nails him with a vicious Rude Awakening.

It sucks that Rude would have been just another flunky in the NWO, but that would have been a fun feud for the couple of weeks it probably would have lasted in WCW.

Supposedly Rude was training for a return to the ring when he died, so it's possible.

Supposedly Rude was training for a return to the ring when he died, so it's possible.

The match in question was at Uncensored 98, and Rude didn't die until over a year later, so I doubt there were any plans.

And it was for a return to the WWF to supposedly feud with Austin, if the rumors are true.

And it was for a return to the WWF to supposedly feud with Austin, if the rumors are true.

Sounds like a question for the mailbag at the Steve Austin show.  

• 2 weeks later...

"I tell ya, that cat was so talented, he would have made it work without a doubt! Even in 1999, he'd still always talk about how he had one of the best upper bodies in an upper body business."

• Like 1

Anybody know the story behind Rude quitting Jim Crockett in 1987 despite holding the tag titles, and then quitting WWF in 1990 in the middle of a feud with the Big Boss Man (I'm assuming the latter was being pissed at going from feuding for the World Title and headlining SummerSlam to feuding with a prison guard over "your momma" jokes)?

Also, has Meltzer or anyone ever discussed the odds of Rude getting into the WWE HOF or getting a DVD release?  I assume Vince is still mad due to quitting WWE/ECW and jumping to Nitro.

In general, you need to listen to the Raging Bull shoot since he covers this in detail. i'm trying to remember the deal. I think it was that Rude found out he was pulling in less than Manny or something.

There's a story-- which may or may not be a fish tale-- about Rude's days as a bouncer in Minneapolis where he had one arm in a sling from a dislocated elbow, showed up to work anyway, and took down a troublemaking bodybuilder with a single headslap.

Now, Rude's pimp-hand prowress is a legend unto itself, so it's possible that story is embellished but I wouldn't dismiss it either.

There's a story-- which may or may not be a fish tale-- about Rude's days as a bouncer in Minneapolis where he had one arm in a sling from a dislocated elbow, showed up to work anyway, and took down a troublemaking bodybuilder with a single headslap.

Now, Rude's pimp-hand prowress is a legend unto itself, so it's possible that story is embellished but I wouldn't dismiss it either.

My favorite is when PN News couldn't beat Rude in arm wrestling using both arms, one thing led to another and Rick knocked him out cold with the aforementioned bitchslap of doom.

Still remember my mom walking into the room when this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s46Ljyt4ec

Wow!  That one deserves a Holy Shit chant!

That makes the Steve Austin "Rick Rude was a religious man" story from the last podcast even funnier.

FOR FUCKS SAKE STEVE!  STOP TAKING THE LORD'S NAME IN VAIN.  I'VE GOT MY LIPS ON A GIRL'S ASS!

Anybody know the story behind Rude quitting Jim Crockett in 1987 despite holding the tag titles, and then quitting WWF in 1990 in the middle of a feud with the Big Boss Man (I'm assuming the latter was being pissed at going from feuding for the World Title and headlining SummerSlam to feuding with a prison guard over "your momma" jokes)?

Also, has Meltzer or anyone ever discussed the odds of Rude getting into the WWE HOF or getting a DVD release?  I assume Vince is still mad due to quitting WWE/ECW and jumping to Nitro.

In general, you need to listen to the Raging Bull shoot since he covers this in detail. i'm trying to remember the deal. I think it was that Rude found out he was pulling in less than Manny or something.

Crockett was probably just a case of the WWF making Rude a much better offer and promising him a singles push.  Manny did say in a shoot that Rude found out he (Manny) was making more than Rude, so maybe that made it easier to listen to the WWF.

There's was also a rumor that Rude showed up drunk to a few tapings and thought Crockett was going to fire him.

The WWF departure was rumored to be over Rude wanting to have kids with his wife.  Supposedly, he didn't wanted to get off the drugs (steroids) in order to get her pregnant and was basically told that the decision wasn't up to him.  He was also feuding with the company over money, asking to be paid for some shows he didn't work since the WWF had continued to promote him for said shows (thus, using him as a draw to increase the gate).

Crockett was probably just a case of the WWF making Rude a much better offer and promising him a singles push.  Manny did say in a shoot that Rude found out he (Manny) was making more than Rude, so maybe that made it easier to listen to the WWF.

There's was also a rumor that Rude showed up drunk to a few tapings and thought Crockett was going to fire him.

The WWF departure was rumored to be over Rude wanting to have kids with his wife.  Supposedly, he didn't wanted to get off the drugs (steroids) in order to get her pregnant and was basically told that the decision wasn't up to him.  He was also feuding with the company over money, asking to be paid for some shows he didn't work since the WWF had continued to promote him for said shows (thus, using him as a draw to increase the gate).

I had always heard that Rude left after finding out what Warrior made for SummerSlam 91 and felt really underpaid since he had to carry Warrior through the match.

Also, has Meltzer or anyone ever discussed the odds of Rude getting into the WWE HOF or getting a DVD release? I assume Vince is still mad due to quitting WWE/ECW and jumping to Nitro.

Crockett was probably just a case of the WWF making Rude a much better offer and promising him a singles push. Manny did say in a shoot that Rude found out he (Manny) was making more than Rude, so maybe that made it easier to listen to the WWF.

The WWF departure was rumored to be over Rude wanting to have kids with his wife. Supposedly, he didn't wanted to get off the drugs (steroids) in order to get her pregnant and was basically told that the decision wasn't up to him. He was also feuding with the company over money, asking to be paid for some shows he didn't work since the WWF had continued to promote him for said shows (thus, using him as a draw to increase the gate).

I had always heard that Rude left after finding out what Warrior made for SummerSlam 91 and felt really underpaid since he had to carry Warrior through the match.

That would have been SummerSlam '90, not '91.

• Like 1