DVDVR Message Board

Appreciating New Jack Swing

Thomas Bugg

• 2 weeks later...

Gossip-y tidbit:  Aaron Hall was involved with hip hop model Gloria Velez.  They had a child, and Aaron's been sketchy on his child support.  The romance was quite rocky--rumors of abuse, Gloria getting a way-too-specifc tattoo for Aaron.

I liked it better when I was a naive teenager and thought most of these talented folks were nice people, too.

• Like 2

Gossip-y tidbit:  Aaron Hall was involved with hip hop model Gloria Velez.  They had a child, and Aaron's been sketchy on his child support.  The romance was quite rocky--rumors of abuse, Gloria getting a way-too-specifc tattoo for Aaron.

I liked it better when I was a naive teenager and thought most of these talented folks were nice people, too.

I am goting to exercise my Constitutional right to remain oblivious to this.

Yeah.  Russell Neal recently stabbed his wife with their kids in the house, and lead singer Tony Thompson was found dead next to an air conditioning unit in 2007.  An original member, Toriano Easley, was imprisoned because he shot an undercover officer who came into Easley's apartment--something about thinking Easley was a drug dealer.  Another member, Roderick Clark, was paralyzed after a car accident.  Several years ago, Treston Irby was shot five times at a club.  He survived with no major injuries.

The group had an Unsung episode (urban version of Behind the Music) recently on TVOne.  I didn't watch it, but I'm sure it was sad viewing.

Unsung is so depressing and it always makes me want to throw myself off of a cliff, but my girlfriend insists we watch it.

I had to leave the room during the Angela Bofill episode.

• Like 1

Just a few New Jack Swing tracks:

Teddy Riley was a huge part of the New Jack Swing sound with Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, Guy, Blackstreet, working with MJ among others. I think you could overlook 'Remember the Time' as a New Jack Swing track but it definitely has that sound. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...