DVDVR Message Board

Appreciating New Jack Swing

Thomas Bugg

I really feel that this era in R&B history does not get the love that it deserves. Teddy Riley, Bernard Belle, Guy, LeVert, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Al B. Sure, Bobby Brown, Bell Biv Devoe, Babyface, Today, Troop, Full Force, Soul II Soul, Club Noveau, Johnny Gill- these cats helped to define a generation, and in large part inspired what we hear today.

One of the first cassette tapes I bought as a kid was Don't Be Cruel by Bobby Brown, and here's a Sonic The Hedgehog mashup of one of his biggest hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYmkH_bkHY

I went to school at Hampton University.  Teddy Riley had his studio in Virginia Beach and used to show up at college parties in Hampton and Norfolk. 

New Jack Swing was in full effect and life was so good you could taste it in your spit.  Party music you could dance to that had no lyrics about killing anybody,  Seemed like such a unique concept at the time.

In college, I used to date this girl named Taylor who Teddy hired to be an extra in the Rumpshaker video.

She's one of the girls in the pool and you can briefly see her sitting next to Teddy in the boat @ the 3:16 mark of the video.

The kid brother of one of the guys in Today! was one of my best friends in college!  I think that guy is an entertainment lawyer now.

The Redhead Kingpin is the lost golden child of the New Jack Swing era.

• Like 1

The kid brother of one of the guys in Today! was one of my best friends in college!  I think that guy is an entertainment lawyer now.

The Redhead Kingpin is the lost golden child of the New Jack Swing era.

I always thought Today themselves did that song. I'm educated now. :)

I fucking hated Christopher Williams when I was lad, but I'm Dreamin was a necessary evil addition to your mixtape if you knew you were going to have a honey in your ride.

• Like 2

I really feel that this era in R&B history does not get the love that it deserves. Teddy Riley, Bernard Belle, Guy, LeVert, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Al B. Sure, Bobby Brown, Bell Biv Devoe, Babyface, Today, Troop, Full Force, Soul II Soul, Club Noveau, Johnny Gill- these cats helped to define a generation, and in large part inspired what we hear today.

One of the first cassette tapes I bought as a kid was Don't Be Cruel by Bobby Brown, and here's a Sonic The Hedgehog mashup of one of his biggest hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYmkH_bkHY

I want to like this but I can't. The video game music is killing it for me. 

• 2 weeks later...