DVDVR Message Board

Best wrestlers/performances after 40?

Ramsey

Lots of awesome feats here, but I've got to stick with Thesz as the greatest. Won the NWA title in January 1963, three months shy of his 47th birthday, and held it until January 1966, three months shy of his 50th. I was going to try and impress everyone with the number of defenses he made, but was too lazy to count them. Suffice to say that he won the belt on January 24 and had defended it 38 times by the end of March, in several states and Canada. Keeping that brutal NWA traveling champion's schedule at his age is mind boggling to me.

• Like 1

I agree with Cornette, Bockwinkel the best after 50, he was a top-line performer at that age, his abilities and career peaked well into his 40s. Lawler the best after 60, while certainly not the worker he was in his 20s or 30s. Lawler basically figured out a routine in his early 40s that he can still do pretty much the same to this day, in his 70s. After 40 I think the answer is Flair, who had arguably his best year at age 40 in 1989,  and didnt' really start to seriously decline until his early 50s.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I recently saw the Flair/Goldberg match from the main event of Nitro in 98 or 99. It was probably booked on the fly and what does Flair do but go yeah I can carry a dangerous, ungrateful sack of crap to a good main event match for the company that hates me but needs me to do this every week. That sequence where he took all those shoulder blocks then got up to do it again right after was stuff that many better workers probably couldn’t do. And how old was he by then? Jeeze. 

On 7/17/2014 at 10:49 PM, Jingus said:

Of course Tenryu and Hansen are shoe-ins, I figure that's why nobody's really talked about them much just because they're too damn obvious.  Ditto for Flair, Funk, Lawler, et al.  If one considers just doing the same shit they always did as being the best, then Dusty could go on the list too, I saw him and Lawler have one hell of a fun little match in 2002 (and it's weird how easy it is to forget that the American Dream actually wrestled in ECW).  

Good Lord! Tenryu had entire YEARS post-50 where he didn't have anything less than *** matches. Then of course, our favorite Alabama Junior Heavyweight Champion, Mike Jackson is still pretty spry at 72.

Edited by OSJ