DVDVR Message Board

Your Top 10 Albums/Singles of the Half-Year

caley

01. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories: Just a stunning album, really.  A friend of my brother's thinks it's a concept album about a robot attempting to become human, and some of it seems to support his theory.  Really, though ,it's just endlessly listenable.  'Giorgio' is a stunner, basically being an encapsulation of music from the 60s to 90s, then working in some Daft Punk goodness to point it toward the sound of the future.

02. Kanye West - Yeezus: The lyrics might be a little wonky in parts, but the production on this thing is incredible.  I love the random stops that break into soaring melodies, or the way songs change completely from beginning to end.

03. Yo La Tengo - Fade: I first heard this and thought "Ah, that was a nice listenable little album" and then I just kind of kept coming back to it over and over and it's just a great album.
04. m83 - Oblivion: A soaring, epic m83 score of a really good film that nobody seemed to see.
05. Iron & Wine - Ghost on Ghost: I love I&W now that they've left the whisper-folk behind.  They just sound like a good late 70s/early 80s AM radio band now.
06. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience: A great pop album.  I love the way every song is basically two songs in one.
07. Phoenix - Bankrupt!: Maybe a step down from their breakthrough album, but the back half of this album just sails.

08. Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle - Perils From the Sea: A little too long with a couple boring/morose songs but the best songs are terrific.  'You Missed My Heart' is amazing, sounding at first like a beautiful love song, until you listen to the lyrics and realize it's about a psychopath murdering his ex-girlfriend.

09. Jon Hopkins - Immunity: I'm not big into this whole house music/IDM revival, but this album is pretty terrific, veering from dance music to some gorgeous ambient stuff.

10. Jimmy Eat World - Damage: Was not expecting a 2013 Jimmy Eat World album to be as good as this was.  It's nothing transcendent, just a good solid power-pop album.

SINGLES

01. Phoenix - Entertainment: The album might have been a bit of a letwodn, but this song just soars, from the Asian-riff to the singing chorus that comes in toward the end of the song.  Production on this is amazing.

02. The Killers - Flesh and Bone: My 2nd favourite song from my favourite album of 2012.  This is just pure Killers anthemic arena rock at its best.
03. m83 - Oblivion: This is like a mix of earlier 'Before the Dawn Heals Us' m83 and newer 'Hurry Up We're Dreaming' m83 with the Kate Bush-esque vocals.  Really amazing.
04. Ellie Goulding - Explosions: I came to Ellie late but this song is just an amazing power ballad.

05. Justin Timberlake - Tunnel Vision

06. Justin Timberlake - Suit and Tie: I love the 20/20 Experience and these two are just amazing pop songs.

07. Sigur Ros - Brennisteinn: Wasn't expecting Sigur Ros to put out another album this year, and I REALLY wasn't expecting it to be a melange of Sigur Ros atmospherics and big crashing electric guitars.

08. Yo La Tengo - Ohm: My favourite song off one of my favourite albums.  A 6+ minute song about appreciating life as we go with lots of guitar heroics.

09. Kanye West - New Slaves: Staggering machine-gun beat and genuine anger helps to offset some of the lyrical missteps.

10. Iron & Wine - Grace for Saints and Ramblers: Just a solid AM radio song.

Whatchu got?

I've got a few more to figure out, but I had to say something:

10. Jimmy Eat World - Damage: Was not expecting a 2013 Jimmy Eat World album to be as good as this was.  It's nothing transcendent, just a good solid power-pop album.

I've listened to this album just once, but wasn't impressed. I LOVE Jimmy Eat World and their last album, Invented, was insanely underrated and full of remarkable songs from a band people had written off a half-decade earlier. I'll have to listen to Damages some more.

Also, I have maybe 5 more albums to listen to, but Twistification by The Last Royals is my number one album BY FAR this year. Only thing I think might come close is Arcade Fire's senior album.

Edit:

TOTALLY agree on the Phoenix song. Might not be my number one, but that song is an instant classic in my opinion and perhaps their best ever.

Will be back in with my picks, but IMO Jimmy Eat World seems to have tried writing Bleed American over since 2001, and Damage is their worst effort yet.

ETA: I do love 2005's Stay On My Side Tonight EP, which was a little different.

Albums I've loved this year:

Smith Westerns - Soft Will: Retro-ish band drops most of earlier garage sound to make a more classic sounding album influenced by Pink Floyd and The Kinks.

Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork: Homme sounds bluesy and sinister, and wisely doesn't try to recapture Songs For The Deaf.

Wavves - Afraid Of Heights: Catchy slacker-rock that could be right out of the early-mid 90's.

California X - California X: Non stop rock possible. Sounds like Dinosaur Jr. circa You're Living All Over Me.

Pity Sex - Feast Of Love: Dueling male/female vocals over music somewhere between classic Weezer and late-era Jawbreaker.

The National - Trouble Will Find Me: Sad, slow affair after Boxer and High Violet seemed more upbeat, but just as good as either of those albums.

FIDLAR - FIDLAR: Drug and alcohol fueled energetic punk-rock.

Some songs I've dug outside of those records:

Caitlin Rose - "Waitin'" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHdsJAGBscE

Toro Y Moi - "So Many Details" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDntT7SFKmg

Austra - "Forgive Me" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lop5rTEzm9E

Empire Of The Sun - "Alive" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPKAwJKGSDc

The Strokes - "One Way Trigger" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV9JWDd3Kp8

The National - Trouble Will Find Me: Sad, slow affair after Boxer and High Violet seemed more upbeat, but just as good as either of those albums.

I got kinda into them after the song at the end of the movie 'Warrior' (I tend to stay away from bands that are really hyped up lately) and loved 'High Violet' but this one did nothing for me.  I liked 'Demons' but the whole rest drifted by and I didn't remember any of it.  My brother says it's awesome so I'm gonna give it another chance, though.

My favorites so far:

1) Fitz & The Tantrums - More Than Just a Dream

I discovered this band last year when I was on a big soul kick. This new album combines the past album's blue-eyed soul with 80s new wave. At the beginning, I was tentative, but since then I've loved the entire thing. Plus, they do a GREAT live show.

2) Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

I've already said enough about this album elsewhere.

3) Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart

Turner's another artist I discovered last year based on recommendations by former VJ Dave Holmes. He's a former hardcore frontman that verged into a more folk-punk. 

4) J.C. Brooks & The Uptown Sound - Howl

Another soul band I discovered last year when I heard their Wilco cover. This album is quite a bit more solid than their last one, in my opinion.

5) Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me

The soundtrack of the documentary that was released this summer. Ardent Records still has all the recordings that Big Star did there, along with Chris Bell's solo material. So they released some never-heard before takes along with some Bell and Chilton material.

Singles:

1) Janelle Monáe - Q.U.E.E.N. (feat. Erykah Badu) Dance Apocalyptic

Both of these tracks are off her new album coming out later this year. Both are fun as hell.

2) Prince & 3rdEyeGirl - Fixurlifeup Screwdriver

I'm really digging the singles Prince has been putting out with his new band as well. I'd have seen them on tour, but it was too damn expensive.

I started thinking about this, and realized how little new music I've actually gotten around to listening to so far this.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer is, of course, fucking incredible, and keeps them right in the conversation for best band on the planet.

Black Sabbath - 13 is about as good as you could possibly ask a new Black Sabbath record to be in 2013.

Jay Z  - Magna Carta Holy Grail is, pretentious title aside, perfectly acceptable.  I've always been fairly lukewarm to Hova, and I'm fairly lukewarm to this, although Somewhereinamerica is a fucking great track.

Will be back in with my picks, but IMO Jimmy Eat World seems to have tried writing Bleed American over since 2001, and Damage is their worst effort yet.

Very much disagree with this (though Stay On My Side Tonight is very overlooked).  Futures could be considered that, but was also a lot harder over-all than Bleed American. I thought Chase This Light was a direct continuation of that as well and probably the least of the three albums following Bleed American to try and sound like Bleed American. Invented, I think you could make a case for trying to copy Bleed American, but in my opinion again, a lot harder and more diverse.

Bleed American, to me, is a great power pop album with two or three hard alt-rock songs (Sweetness, Bleed American, and perchance Get It Faster). Futures, Chase This Light, and Invented are all very much alt-rock/90s emo/whatever albums that may have one or two power pop songs on them (Work, Coffee & Cigarettes, etc). There is no song that has come close to The Middle in terms of writing and I don't think they have tried writing another one. I do think they have tried writing a new "Hear You Me" like four times though.

Very much disagree with this (though Stay On My Side Tonight is very overlooked).  Futures could be considered that, but was also a lot harder over-all than Bleed American. I thought Chase This Light was a direct continuation of that as well and probably the least of the three albums following Bleed American to try and sound like Bleed American. Invented, I think you could make a case for trying to copy Bleed American, but in my opinion again, a lot harder and more diverse.

Bleed American, to me, is a great power pop album with two or three hard alt-rock songs (Sweetness, Bleed American, and perchance Get It Faster). Futures, Chase This Light, and Invented are all very much alt-rock/90s emo/whatever albums that may have one or two power pop songs on them (Work, Coffee & Cigarettes, etc). There is no song that has come close to The Middle in terms of writing and I don't think they have tried writing another one. I do think they have tried writing a new "Hear You Me" like four times though.

I probably like Futures more than Bleed American. "23" is just a really good attempt at an epic from the band. I also adore "Stay on my Side Tonight." "Disintegration" might be my favorite Jimmy Eat World song.

I have not been huge fans of their last few albums and have genuinely ignored "Damage." The only song that I really cared for off Invented was "Coffee and Cigarettes" and the acoustic bonus version was the stronger effort for that. I also really liked the cover of "You and I" that came as a bonus track.

I go back and forth on Futures and Bleed American. They're similar, but also both very different. Disintegration is that strong of a song, but I adore Closer. Can't even describe it.

They also have an amazing cover of Firestarter by The Prodigy out there which everyone must hear at some time or another.

I really liked Invented. The Heart Is Hard To Find in particular isreally good to me as is My Best Theory. My wife loves Coffee And Cigarettes and puts it on any mix she makes ever. I don't think I ever heard of any of the bonus  stuff. "You And I" being the Wilco song, right?

SUNBATHER by Deafheaven is my #1 Album and "Dream House" is my #1 song.  So much awesomeness.  Perfect mix of black metal, shoegaze, post rock all wrapped up in a nice bow.  Hipster metal?  Probably.  Don't care.

I really like the new Ocean, Pelagial.  It's cool.  The "it's all one song" aesthetic I think fails, what with all the fade outs in between songs, but I get the general concept, and musically, it's pretty cool.

Ultraviolet, the new Kylesa, is good too, but not on the level of Spiral Shadow, which I thought was magnificent.  "Low Tide" is a highlight. 

The World is a Beautiful Place and Now I'm Not Afraid To Die's Whenever, If Ever is indie pop genius.  Really enjoying it right now.

And, it shouldn't have taken this long, but MBV.  Return to form that puts to shame years of shoegaze that came between Loveless and MBV.  That first cascade of feedback feels like an old friend hugging for the first time in 20 years. 

There's probably tons more I'm forgetting right now, but none of them are Jimmy Eat World.  Really?

I got kinda into them after the song at the end of the movie 'Warrior' (I tend to stay away from bands that are really hyped up lately) and loved 'High Violet' but this one did nothing for me.  I liked 'Demons' but the whole rest drifted by and I didn't remember any of it.  My brother says it's awesome so I'm gonna give it another chance, though.

"NOW I KNOW WHY WHITE PEOPLE KILL THEMSELVES AT ALARMING RATES B. CUZ THEY LISTEN TO SHIT LIKE THIS. THIS SHIT IS SO DEPRESSING IT COULD MAKE YOU KILL YOURSELF OVER SOME BULLSHIT."

from the Vice review.

Jay-Z MCHG is a fun album and Yeezus is amazing in parts, Kevin Gates Itunes album Stranget Then Fiction is really good not as good as The Luci Brasi Story other then that I havent really been listening to much that has came out this year. I did enjoy Master P's Al Capone mixtape from earlier this year pretty good but i'm a big Master P fan to begin with.

And, it shouldn't have taken this long, but MBV.  Return to form that puts to shame years of shoegaze that came between Loveless and MBV.  That first cascade of feedback feels like an old friend hugging for the first time in 20 years. 

I was into this the weekend it was released then totally cooled on it.  In fact, I think I've skipped every track every time it's come on since then.  I'll have to give it another go eventually but it sounds a little tired to me now.

I am choosing to engage in sharing instead of screaming in despair.

ALBUMS & MIXTAPES

10. "Cavalcade" by Milo - For anyone who points to this being a "weak year" for rap, I try to point them to the the three releases Milo has put out. The two EPs "things that happen at day" and "things that happen at night" are interesting companion pieces, but Cavalcade is just straight devestating and singular in a way closer to his debut album "I wish my brother rob was here." 

9. "Void" by (the motherfucking) Destruction Unit - Yep. I still tend to just put this album on repeat for hours at a time, and let it fill the rest of my life.

8. "In Dark Denim" by Antwon - Antwon is your master of ceremonies sort of MC. "In Dark Denim" is enormous and colorful, celebrating the joy and frustrations of margin life with big beat after big beat. We'll get back to Antwon.

7. "The Stand-In" by Caitlin Rose - Probably the purest "album" on my list, in that "The Stand-In" feels like a dozen pages in a growing, impressive songbook, which is everything it aspires to be.

6. "Summer Knights" by Joey Bada$$ - Milo's the heady sort of rapper, Antwon is the big party rapper, and Joey's right in between there. The difference between this tape and 1999 (aside from his voice breaking) is that the lyricism is now on the same level with his heavy swerving flow. 

5. "I See Seaweed" by The Drones - These next two records go out to anyone who's still only about rock music in 2013, because I haven't seen either posted here. The Drones move in this epic, self-destructive blues sound, with some truly ingenious composition mixed in with a desperate lyricist and singer. All you really need to do is just hear the title track, and you'll understand.

4. "Silence Yourself" by Savages -  This record's gotten a pretty good amount of press attention, so it's paradoxically one of the most well-known albums on my top ten. For good fuckin' reason, tho: Savages are the wide-eyed badasses rock's been pretending to be for years, from such an exacting angle it feels like they've been a part of the canon forever. More valuably, they're a prominent and loud voice emerging right as conversations about sexism have re-ignited throughout culture.

3. "DRKLNG" by Zebra Katz - I am trying to think of a way to pitch this album other than "it's what yeezus wants to be."

So the other rap I've mentioned has been about flow and lyrical skill and things like this. Zebra Katz instead trades in establishing atmosphere and aesthetic. Minimal, dark, lurid club/runway bangers. The difference is that Zebra Katz, who's come from the NYC Ballroom scene, weaves his way around the fucking embarrassing "tough guy" shit rap obsesses over, making a mockery of it with grace and a smirk.

2. "The Terror" by The Flaming Lips - This is my favorite album of the year so far, but not the best album of the year so far. I've never done more with a Flaming Lips record than "respect from afar," because their sound and outlook is, well, from an older generation than me. I'm a little under half Wayne Coyne's age. On "The Terror," Flaming Lips finally bridge the gap between their island and my life, like this- I was raised christian, and I'm not anymore. This album sounds like my fight with the existence of god. It's powered with the same words and hollow hope, teary eyes watching over the impossible beauty of everything I will never see again. It even ends with a frenzied gulp and an honest attempt to say "okay" and have that word sit in place of the walls torn down by the introspection. I could go on about this record for hours.

1. "Innocence is Kinky" by Jenny Hval - As mentioned, I think this is the unrivaled album of the year. I don't listen to it as much as the others, because it commands attention to make sense and I don't always have time for that. HOWEVER. What it gives back in return for attention is an album unlike anything else being made. Here, I'll just linkdump and let her explain.

On touring 2011's "Viscera" (basically folk music singing a body horror movie script) and her first sound installation work of 2012

Her second sound installation of 2012, which establishes major thematic pieces of the album

Reflecting on her installations and talking directly about the record

The full album on youtube

SONGS

10. "The Sound Of Law" by Daughn Gibson - This is kind of the perfect transition piece from All Hell to this current moment: "Me Moan" is all together bigger, and so the first song/single is this enormous machine. 

9. "Kingston" by Mesita - Mesita has been putting out a lot of wild electronic music this year, and I think Kingston is the strongest song from those. It's kind of insane that the guy behind my favorite guitar pop music last year has totally shed all of that and is still utterly brilliant.

8. "Dream House" by Deafheaven - For all of the black metal stuff that gets thrown onto Deafheaven, this song feels more to me like the middle ground between the giant krautrock phase of Boredoms and Converge. 

7. "Electric" by The Men - I am kind of a fan of The Men, and Electric is pretty close to being the thesis of everything they're doing.

6. "Y I DO" by Zebra Katz - Zebra Katz taking three minutes to slay every hook rapper.

5. "Retrograde" by James Blake - This song was stuck in my head from February to June. I still slip into singing it every now and then, just to see what it sounds like in the room I'm in.

4. "post hoc ergo procter hoc (for Schopenhauer)" by Milo - 1) This fucking beat 2) Milo striking a perfect balance between his nerdy and philosophical sides 3) THIS FUCKING BEAT

3. "I See Seaweed" by The Drones - Like I said above, just check out this song if you want to know what this record is.

2. "3rd World Grrl" by Antwon - In the days of some wack ass love raps, 3rd World Grrl is the light in my sky breaking through the stormclouds. 2:25 of joy.

1. "Hair Receding" by Xenia Rubinos - Overdriven hypergorgeous titanic balladry. I want to open my mouth and have songs like this come out.

• Like 1

I started thinking about this, and realized how little new music I've actually gotten around to listening to so far this..

Yeah, I had the same experience.Of the new stuff I have listened to, the only thing I feel certain about is that Wakin On a Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile is the best album I've listened to.

The World is a Beautiful Place and Now I'm Not Afraid To Die's Whenever, If Ever is indie pop genius.  Really enjoying it right now.

7. "The Stand-In" by Caitlin Rose - Probably the purest "album" on my list, in that "The Stand-In" feels like a dozen pages in a growing, impressive songbook, which is everything it aspires to be.

Of the new stuff I have listened to, the only thing I feel certain about is that Wakin On a Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile is the best album I've listened to.

All of these seconded. Great stuff.

Couldn't narrow down the singles/songs so I'm just going to throw the first 10 albums that come to mind from this year:

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Inc. - No World

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control

Run the Jewels - S/T

Jim James - Regions of Light and Sound

Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin

William Tyler - The Impossible Truth

Laura Marling - Once, I was an eagle

Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety

Peace - In Love

Definitely going to get on those soul recommendations above, been hankering for some good soul releases from this year.

Here are some albums I like, in no particular order:

"Push the Sky Away" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (just for you, BL88--this is probably the Nick Cave-iest Nick Cave album yet)

"We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic" by Foxygen (If I were to describe this band, I'd be describing a band I don't like. However, I do like this band. Favourite track: "On Blue Mountain")

"Wondrous Bughouse" by Youth Lagoon (favourite track: Dropla)

"I See Seaweed" by The Drones (my favourite track of the year might be "Why Write a Letter You'll Never Send")

"Silence Yourself" by Savages (cannot choose just one song)

"New Moon" by The Men (favourite track: "The Brass")

"The Terror" by The Flaming Lips (best opening track this year. Well either this or the Daughn Gibson album [bL links to the song])

"...Like Clockwork" by Queens of the Stone Age

"Innocence is Kinky" by Jenny Hval

"Kveikur" by Sigur Ros

"Untogether" by Blue Hawaii (I believe my favourite song is called "In Two")

I'll try to add some thoughts, so that ain't just list-o-mania.

I will mention that Sigur Ros and The Flaming Lips are two bands who I've known about for ages, but whose music has never caught my attention until these two albums. Conversely, I'd never listened to MBV before, and I find this new album dull.

• Like 1

A lot of love for The Men's record. Not expecting that. I loved it. Up until Kurt Vile hit, I think that was my top album for this year. I love music that operates at the intersection of southern rock and post-punk.

Post DVDVR-decades projects I can get back into the current scene so I'm behind. Still polishing off 2011 and 12 and hope to be caught up on 13 by the end of the year. But anyway I just got around to The Men - Leave Home from 2011 and I'm really excited to hear what the follow ups were like now.

I mean, I have no reason to believe anything else they will ever do will be better, but still. They'd have to fall off pretty badly from there to sour me on them now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I probably like Futures more than Bleed American. "23" is just a really good attempt at an epic from the band. I also adore "Stay on my Side Tonight." "Disintegration" might be my favorite Jimmy Eat World song.

I have not been huge fans of their last few albums and have genuinely ignored "Damage." The only song that I really cared for off Invented was "Coffee and Cigarettes" and the acoustic bonus version was the stronger effort for that. I also really liked the cover of "You and I" that came as a bonus track.

Got to interview Jimmy Eat World for RVA Magazine. Here's the link, but I had to show you this snippet, Chaos.

"Sounds great for you guys. Now, for you personally, what are some of your favorite songs that you guys have done over the years?Well, I love "Blister" [from Clairty] and "Evidence" [from Invented], but other than that, it's hard to pick. I really like to play "Disintegration" from the Futures era. That's something we haven't played for a while since it wasn't on the album itself. It’s definitely a super fun tune to play. I also like "Get It Faster" [from Bleed American] which is just an amazing rock song to play."

Digging new Queens of the Stone Age. Disappointed by Earth Rocker by Clutch. Eager to hear more of the new Pearl Jam, and it might be my most anticipated new album. Listened to BE by Beady Eye (Liam Gallagher's post-Oasis outfit).... still sounds like he's trying too hard to be in Oasis. Maybe the rumours of them reuniting to celebrate the 20th anniversary of BE HERE NOW with some shows will come true.

And as much as I hate hate HATE to say it, "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke will be song of the year. It's an earworm of the highest sort.