DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MASAYOSHI MOTEGI

RIPPA

I’ve got lots of free time now that I don’t have Kawada leaning over my shoulder telling me I have another 40 minute match to go through.  So, why not do reviews of the WOTD?  Figure it may go in some interesting directions since I have no earthly idea who they are 25% of the time.  

Motegi is in that 25%.

Motegi vs. Gedo

Is this a battle of chubby dudes in belly shirts on purpose?  Is Motegi mocking Dusty Rhodes’ favorite wrestler by mirroring his outfit?  I gots no idea!  Is that a thing?  It has to be a thing.  Man, of all the people to go to the trouble of mocking, you go with Gedo?

Reviewing  a ten minute match is actually harder than a 40 because the pauses in the action are usually shorter and there is less story to talk about during the match.  So this will probably be shorter than some stuff.  

The story of this match is that Motegi has everything going his own way for the whole match but makes a couple of mistakes in a row to allow Gedo to get a submission on for the win.  Its a simple tale told rather poorly as Motegi’s stuff doesn’t look that good while still including a rolling German suplex and a tombstone piledriver.  Nothing here is especially compelling as far as I am concerned and while the timing isn’t bad, per say it doesn’t ever get out second gear.

The highlight was a nifty rolling key lock from Motegi that is a bit like Charlotte Flair’s rolling head scissors for comparison’s sake.  The lowlight was Motegi’s lame use of a championship belt on the outside of the ring on Gedo’s shoulder.

Motegi vs. Sasuke

Motegi is rocking the mullet here and its a better look for him than Dark Gedo.  Motegi seems to have some execution issues because some of his stuff doesn’t look like it could break an egg.  He’s especially bad at brawling outside of the ring and using props like the belt in the Gedo match and a chair in this one.  It’s just not his strong suit.

He is decent at giving you one or two things a match that I would classify as ‘neat’.  In this instance, using a bite to get out of a cross armbreaker during one of Sasuke’s brief rallies.  

This is similar to the Gedo match in that Motegi takes 85-90% of the match and its not really effective.  Sasuke did not have his selling ballerina shoes on and it becomes when he transitions to offense (poorly, transitions are weak here) he only sells the leg work after doing cartwheel elbows and dives to the outside.  The ending spot with a blocked avalanche gutwrench suplex is also ugly as sin.  This match is just barely kind of average.

Motegi vs. Murdoch

Much better match than the previous as Motegi works spry youngster to the much more seasoned Murdoch.  Motegi does a really good job staying focused on the arm work from both an offensive and defensive standpoint.  But really Murdoch is (to absolutely no one’s surprise) the glue that holds it all together with some really good transition exchanges like blocking the rolling keylock with a knee to the face and countering an over-the-shoulder arm breaker with a bionic elbow.  Dick’s selling was also appropriate and on point in that he sold everything going on without going overboard.  His selling in the aforementioned key lock is pretty awesome as he constantly slaps his own fingers to keep the circulation going.  

Murdoch eventually goes roughhouse which suits his status as the wily tough guy and Motegi can’t really cope with it without going back to the arm.  But it makes him somewhat predictable (in a good, story-line way) and makes it possible for Murdoch to counter second attempts at moves a bunch.  I’ve not seen a great deal of Murdoch coming in (with his run with Dick Slater in The Hardliners as the exception) but this was a great performance and totally lives up to his billing.

Post match stuff is there but I’m going to ignore it other than to say I did not realize The Headhunters were so short and that was some of the best bad theme music ever.  Plus I got to see the Murdoch calf branding which is always a treat.

• Like 1

I feel like we made the Motegi in ever tournament joke more than just once but this is the only one Google is finding

Chappinger/Shadow Winger vs. Shunme Matsuzaki/Jun Kasai: 

Hey! That guy Chappinger who was so mediocre in the Michinoku Pro Mask Tourney 99 is actually.... wait for it.... MOTEGI!!!!!!!!!!!  YES!  The Motegi In Every Junior Heavyweight Tournament On The Island Of Japan LAW is STILL in full effect!!   KICK ASS!   This is kinda a squash- as Matsuzaki and Kasai seem to be Motegi trainees- but Winger and Motegi are actually a good little crappy indie tag team as they hit some nice midgrade double team moves so this wasn't horrible or anything.  Kasai or Matsuzuki take a classic Stupid Japanese Indie Bump but doesn't land on his shoulder wrong- so he doesn't actually get the full Guiccione Indie Sleazeworld Award- but keep trying.  HEY! Shadow Winger with a totally presentable Dragon Suplex With a Bridge.  The boy keeps trying.  Quite fine in the whole spectrum of things considering..... 

• 4 weeks later...