DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 7-14-14

MGFanJay

The best thing about that WWE 2K15 promo video is that it really gave me confidence that if they ever actually bring Sting on TV, that they will use him correctly. They hit the nail 100% on the head with that video. That is the best version of Sting - the dark, creepy, mysterious Crow character. Not surfer Sting, not Joker ripoff Sting, not surfer Sting who still dresses like The Crow. The choice to go with his original Crow theme over some Metallica ripoff was really the icing on the cake. There's a lot of stuff WWE creative is fucking up lately, but they really "get it" with Sting's character.

• Like 1

The best thing about that WWE 2K15 promo video is that it really gave me confidence that if they ever actually bring Sting on TV, that they will use him correctly. They hit the nail 100% on the head with that video. That is the best version of Sting - the dark, creepy, mysterious Crow character. Not surfer Sting, not Joker ripoff Sting, not surfer Sting who still dresses like The Crow. The choice to go with his original Crow theme over some Metallica ripoff was really the icing on the cake. There's a lot of stuff WWE creative is fucking up lately, but they really "get it" with Sting's character.

Unfortunately, ACTUAL Sting is 6 years older than Taker. He might not have quite so many miles on him, but there's nothing much left, in-ring wise. So, really, I'd rather they used the wrong version of Sting to promote their video game and stopped fucking up the booking of their usable talent rather than vice-versa.

I think you could use Sting a bunch for preamble stuff like lurking in the rafters and coming out to Deathdrop a guy, but the payoff having to be a match?  That's going to be a problem but they could probably hide him in a trios or tag match.  No singles matches unless he's wiping out Heath Slater in 60 seconds and that would kind of be a waste.

To each their own, of course, but Surfer Sting will always be the iconic Sting character to me.  i actually think the first year of Crow Sting was brillantly booked (sans Starrcade, of course), but Sting was past his prime as a worker even then,  And the character really doesn't make sense long-term (as someone else said recently, Starrcade should have probably seen Sting end the Crow persona and either become Surfer Sting again or a new variation of the character.  

Personally, I'd like to see Surfer Sting vs. John Cena, but only if Vince has a time machine or de-aging ray in his basement.

I like the idea that the point of Crow Sting is that he is obsessed with seeing justice done and helping the good guys get an even fight when overwhelmed by the numbers of the heels. I wouldn't want to see him very often, but I admit that I do love the idea of Ambrose in the ring about to get jumped yet again by the Authority when Sting shows up, hands Ambrose a bat, and they clean house. 

It should be noted that I have an irrational love for Sting, so this might well be a terrible idea that only Sting fans will like.

• Like 3

I keep wanting my fantasy booked idea of Sting being the Board of Directors appointed VP of Wrestling Operations because the rampant abuse of power from the Authority has hurt the stock, so they got an impartial guy with experience to run shit, who doesn't really have any loyality to anyone that's on-air (except Goldust, actually)

Kinda like how JJ was *supposed* to be able to override Bischoff because of his abuse of power in all things nWo related (but never really happened)

I like the idea that the point of Crow Sting is that he is obsessed with seeing justice done and helping the good guys get an even fight when overwhelmed by the numbers of the heels. I wouldn't want to see him very often, but I admit that I do love the idea of Ambrose in the ring about to get jumped yet again by the Authority when Sting shows up, hands Ambrose a bat, and they clean house. 

It should be noted that I have an irrational love for Sting, so this might well be a terrible idea that only Sting fans will like.

I think this would be a great way to use Sting. He doesn't even have to wrestle. And hell, I don't even know that any of his fans want to see him wrestle. They just want to see him do what you just mentioned. He could show up once a month or so and do that until say, WrestleMania when he goes into the HOF and/or finally wrestles one match.

I think they(WWE) sometimes have problems navigating good guys between being unstoppable and being a chump.  That's why I appreciated the Ambrose beatdown.  He was getting completely mauled and stomped out.  However, there was still a moment where he blurted out "Is that all you got?" which stuck out.  It made him look tough without taking away from the beatdown.  Tough; not invincible or weak, which I think is an important distinction.  The Stone Cold character is seen as a badass now, but the crowd did not completely embrace the character until Bret made him bleed and pass out.  Same with Foley during Hell in the Cell.  Both of those guys got their ass whooped in those matches, yet these are defining moments in each of those guy's careers. 

It was a nice moment for Ambrose.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1

I'd hold him out for if Daniel Bryan comes back and have him be the guy who ensures DB gets his fair rematch.

No, WWE Creative doesn't "get it" regarding Sting's character. 2K and the wrestling fans making 2K15 "get it." It's weird to see so many people think this was a working of WWE. It's 2K's excellent marketing and advertising department.

Maybe it's because I've backslided into the garden-variety "Vince is the Antichrist" smark mindset circa 1999, but I'm actually a little disappointed that Sting finally decided to take the WWE's money, even if it's just for video game rights/a Legends deal.  Part of his appeal to me post-WCW was that he was the only main eventer who didn't ever jump out to Stamford and not burn his bridges (Jarrett) or being caught up in some bad happenings (Luger).  I always thought he was going to be the one holdout who would retire without doing anything for the 'E.  It truly feels like the end of an era.

Maybe it's because I've backslided into the garden-variety "Vince is the Antichrist" smark mindset circa 1999, but I'm actually a little disappointed that Sting finally decided to take the WWE's money, even if it's just for video game rights/a Legends deal.  Part of his appeal to me post-WCW was that he was the only main eventer who didn't ever jump out to Stamford and not burn his bridges (Jarrett) or being caught up in some bad happenings (Luger).  I always thought he was going to be the one holdout who would retire without doing anything for the 'E.  It truly feels like the end of an era.

WWE bought every asset WCW had at the time of the sale (other than the contracts of a few workers they turned down.) They could probably use Sting's WCW-era likeness(es) without his say-so. If that's correct, he had the choice of being paid some amount of money and not appearing in a commercial, or being paid some greater amount of money and appearing in a commercial.

He can probably buy another house to flip with the cash from that commercial.

Well, at least this happened!

tumblr_n8qazo30ct1trnp1xo1_500.png

Summer of Dolph is finally here, people!

Hello? Anyone...?

Dolph totally comes across as a menage-a-trois kind of guy.

I pegged him as more of a guy-guy-girl kind of guy than a guy-girl-girl kind of guy.  Or maybe someone else is pegging him.

Well, at least this happened!

tumblr_n8qazo30ct1trnp1xo1_500.png

Summer of Dolph is finally here, people!

Hello? Anyone...?

Dolph totally comes across as a menage-a-trois kind of guy.

I pegged him as more of a guy-guy-girl kind of guy than a guy-girl-girl kind of guy. Or maybe someone else is pegging him.

So, you're saying Dolph is more George, dating a girl with a male roommate rather than Jerry dating a girl with a female roommate?

I get why he's doing it. I think he knows he's at the end of the road and wants to remain involved in wrestling, at least to some loose extent. WWE is the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. There's pro football, and then there's the NFL. There's pro wrestling, and then there's WWE. Being involved in the "WWE Family" in your retirement seems like a pretty lucrative and smart thing to do business-wise, and also a logical thing if you want to have any sort of input or involvement on the future of mainstream wrestling.