DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Total Divas Thread

rzombie1988

I was just thinking about how great a feminist character would be in the Divas division. She could do a "shoot" on how every diva is f'''king top guys to get 2 minutes of tv. She needs to be attractive...

Though unintentional I'm sure, this segment of your post reveals some critical flaws with your idea. "Needs to be attractive" is bad enough, but a "feminist" character whose primary motivation is slut-shaming? Uh...

• Like 1

I was just thinking about how great a feminist character would be in the Divas division. She could do a "shoot" on how every diva is f'''king top guys to get 2 minutes of tv. She needs to be attractive...

Though unintentional I'm sure, this segment of your post reveals some critical flaws with your idea. "Needs to be attractive" is bad enough, but a "feminist" character whose primary motivation is slut-shaming? Uh...

The character needs to be attractive because otherwise it would turn into gimmicky parody of a feminist. You wouldn't give Kane the role of a cool anti-system rebel. And the issue isn't slut-shaming: the wrestlers kiss the ass of Vince and the bookers to get pushed, the divas sleep with them. There's a subtle difference between this and slut-shaming I think.

I could've won so much money placing a bet on "casting against stereotype" appearing in your follow up post. Why do you assume someone like Kharma couldn't pull the gimmick off as you described (not that I'd want her to have to try)? Someone who could win fans over with her ability and really send the message that there's more to being a diva than looking like a model?

the wrestlers kiss the ass of Vince and the bookers to get pushed, the divas sleep with them. There's a subtle difference between this and slut-shaming I think.

One that reveals even more troubling underlying assumptions. Not that it would be too much better, but why wouldn't a feminist character suggest that the male-dominated power structure encourages/forces divas to sleep with them by blackmailing them with tv time?

I was just thinking about how great a feminist character would be in the Divas division. She could do a "shoot" on how every diva is f'''king top guys to get 2 minutes of tv. She needs to be attractive, but never wrestle with panties or anything sexy, although knowing WWE they 'd get over the top. She needs to be right about the morals, like Punk, to work. She could be booked as a heel at first, but eventually the crowd would love her and WWE could do their PC ads about how a great influence she is on young girls.

Sounds kinda awful.  Then again I'm just turned off by the "Whine about backstage politics" stuff in general.

I could've won so much money placing a bet on "casting against stereotype" appearing in your follow up post. Why do you assume someone like Kharma couldn't pull the gimmick off as you described (not that I'd want her to have to try)? Someone who could win fans over with her ability and really send the message that there's more to being a diva than looking like a model?

Of course you're kind of revealing your own prejudices by assuming Kharma can't be considered attractive.

Of course you're kind of revealing your own prejudices by assuming Kharma can't be considered attractive.

That's why I said "looking like a model" instead of "being hot" or something like that. 

• Like 1

I reviewed episode 2 of Total Divas here(pics and gifs to come ASAP):
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/wwe-total-divas-episode-2-review.html

Overall thoughts: I enjoyed this one actually. Sandra was awesome and it was fun to see Eva Marie get owned on national television. The tour of Cena's and DB's houses were cool too.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

I feel like its a bad idea showing a good guy living in a mansion and flying on jets. You assume they are super rich, but I feel it is best not to show it. It creates a disconnect with the audience. At least Austin had a militia hunting compound. That time they visited in 97. 

I feel like its a bad idea showing a good guy living in a mansion and flying on jets. You assume they are super rich, but I feel it is best not to show it. It creates a disconnect with the audience. At least Austin had a militia hunting compound. That time they visited in 97. 

I dunno I grew up thinking every guy who wrestled on TV was rich with Million Dollar Man obviously being the wealthiest.

No the camera is usually fixated on all the lady parts so no issue there. I didn't love this episode but I feel like there's always going to be something I want to see. This week it was the tour of Daniel Bryan's house. Cool stuff. I didn't care for the Cena stuff... his house was great but I've seen plenty of MTV Crib episodes, they are all the same.

The Eva Marie stuff appeared to be mostly work but I still liked the part with Steph scolding her. There were real tears so maybe there is some legit heat? I don't believe they were acting tears.

Naomi is EXTREMLY likable. I like the Uso she's dating as well. He seems cool as hell.

Likability Ranking (from most likable to least)

1. Natalya

2. Naomi

3. JoJo

4. Brie

5. Eva

6. Cameron

7. Nikki

I dunno I grew up thinking every guy who wrestled on TV was rich with Million Dollar Man obviously being the wealthiest.

I did too. I just think its better not to show it. In the case of your top face who wrestles in jean shorts and a tee shirt. I feel like it makes him less relateable. 

I did too. I just think its better not to show it. In the case of your top face who wrestles in jean shorts and a tee shirt. I feel like it makes him less relateable. 

Unless it's supposed to be foreshadowing Cena as the corporate champion.

Dusty Rhodes was driving a convertible Benz when the Horseman rolled him in the parking lot.

Well it was the mid 80's. He was living the American Dream.

But yeah this episode tonight was a complete 180 from last week's surprisingly good debut episode. It was way too Eva Maria heavy. She must really be the new chosen one because in consecutive weeks she's defied a VP and made the same VP look like an idiot when she said "hey yeah, I can dance".

The funniest part of the show was them bluring out Naomi's toe action. Haven't they worn those green outfits on tv? Maybe everything is really blurring all together.