DVDVR Message Board

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Gonzo

That song will sadly be meme-tastic, but I don't think many people will get that it's actually making fun of sports fans.  It's going to be played so damn much during football though.

I got the album and after hearing it it's so goddamn outstanding.  Yeah, it'll be about the main ones like "Tacky" and "Word Crimes", but the other songs are amazing.  Songs in the style of Pixies or Foo Fighters are ones I love so much.  Got a huge kick out his song in the style of "Sparrow".  Yeah, the last track won't get the laughs the others do, but I appreciate him making fun of love songs like that.  It's weird, but hopefully is appreciated by many.  I was so happy to pay $10, I'd have gladly paid a little more if need be.

Also - apparently Mandatory Fun is neck and neck with Jason Mraz's new album for #1 on the Billboard charts

According to Billboard, industry forecasters are predicting both albums will sell roughly 70,000 to 75,000 copies by Sunday.

Weird Al has never "topped the charts" if you will so there is a chance that it could finally happen.

Man, is that really all it takes to top the charts these days?

My brain is still stuck in the 90's where people sold 750,000 albums in the first week.

I don't believe that number counts digital copy's so if you figure that in it likely is still around that figure

I'd assume that's for singles and not albums?  Kinda like a modern form of the airplay chart?

And, yeah, I knew album sales had tanked, but I guess I didn't realize it was quite that bad.

(Except for Adele, she went over 15 million copies like it weren't no thing...)

Yea Billboard factors in  Streaming for the Hot lists but it doesn't impact the sales numbers for singles or albums since technically nothing was sold.  But they are trying to take into account the way people listen to music these days anyway.

I realized today that I had never actually heard/seen the Weird Al Lady Gaga parody that caused all the uproar a couple of years ago.

Holy Shit is it amazing

Also - apparently Mandatory Fun is neck and neck with Jason Mraz's new album for #1 on the Billboard charts

According to Billboard, industry forecasters are predicting both albums will sell roughly 70,000 to 75,000 copies by Sunday.

Weird Al has never "topped the charts" if you will so there is a chance that it could finally happen.

And a winner is Al!

Also, tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of the release of UHF.

• Like 1

Man, is that really all it takes to top the charts these days?

My brain is still stuck in the 90's where people sold 750,000 albums in the first week.

As a minor comparison point, here in Australia, this weeks no 1 album sold 4646 copies (Ed Sheeran).  I guess times have changed.

I'm kind of sad that we didn't get another Bill Plympton video (probably "My Own Eyes" if there had been one) this album. I can't blame either guy for deciding that twice was enough, but I got heavily into both guys at around the same age and I was hoping they'd keep working together.