DVDVR Message Board

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Gonzo

Forget that Let It Go (which is the song from Frozen) is a Disney song, or amazingly popular, or what have you.

You should hear it because it's Idina Menzel, one of the greatest vocalists alive today, absolutely cutting loose on a huge fucking number.

Oh, and...  Weird Al rules!  YEAH!

• Like 1

I got to see Weird Al live last year. He puts on an INCREDIBLE show, and he loads up clips from AlTV between songs. I can't wait until he starts doing Word Crimes live. If he does it just like the Robin Thicke video but with conservatively dressed school marms, I'll spit.

Liking Weird Al just might be the one thing that all people with common sense have in common.

Being consistently funny for 30 + years is tough thing to do.

Making quality music for 30 + years is a tough thing to do.

To be consistently great at both at the same time?  It should be impossible but somehow he has pulled it off. 

• Like 2

See I was about to ask if it was because you didn't like "Blurred Lines" because I have run into that issue before where if the song Al is parodying is one I hate - it is really hard for me to like the parody

I swear I have never heard it. Somehow. Or "Happy" or that other one. I'm an old man out of touch with today's young people.

Some irony here, in that Robin Thicke (the "singer" of "Blurred Lines") is very middle-aged himself.  

The Normal Al video was back when MTV actually had a sense of humor about itself. That seems so long ago. 

And then there was the 30 Rock episode where Al kept parodying Jenna until she went incoherently weird, and then Al parodied THAT:

No joke, when I first heard "Fancy" I thought it was a Gwen Stefani song.  I later found out it was an Iggy Azelea song, THEN when I watched the video I discovered the Gwen-a-like was Charli XCX and found a new artist to follow.

• Like 1

No joke, when I first heard "Fancy" I thought it was a Gwen Stefani song.  I later found out it was an Iggy Azelea song, THEN when I watched the video I discovered the Gwen-a-like was Charli XCX and found a new artist to follow.

Good, so it wasn't just me.

I swear I have never heard it. Somehow. Or "Happy" or that other one. I'm an old man out of touch with today's young people.

Man, you gotta be really, really, really out of touch to not have heard "Happy".  That song's only been...everywhere...for several months.

And that's coming from a guy that never listens to the radio.

• Like 1

Man, you gotta be really, really, really out of touch to not have heard "Happy".  That song's only been...everywhere...for several months.

And that's coming from a guy that never listens to the radio.

Swear to God, not one note of it. I never listen to the radio or watch TV. I know the guy wears a hat.