DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

You missed a golden opportunity to toss the cd and mention "They must've taken it."

This is how I've been married thirty years, I'm a sneaky bastard.

• Like 1

You missed a golden opportunity to toss the cd and mention "They must've taken it."

This is how I've been married thirty years, I'm a sneaky bastard.

See, this is the kind of wisdom for the ages that I just haven't acquired yet.  Sensei, you have much to teach me.

I've spent the day at the hospital. My mom is in for a couple days.....nothing terribly serious, otherwise I wouldn't be doing light hearted posting. But we've watched the first 3 Rambo movies on AMC while I've been here today. And when you watch 6 hours of AMC, you see a lot of commercials for The Walking Dead. A lot. A whole lot.

• Like 1

This evens out.

I spent a lot of my life living with a very cynical, negative mindset. I got out of that in my mid-20s. I learned to really let things go, and to try and not hold grudges, and to just have as much fun as possible. I'm also a firm believer in constantly trying new things and giving myself new goals -- if I don't, I get stuck in a rut, which leads to my depressive tendencies popping up.

This is steering me towards law school. I currently write about the law and my job will pay for a substantial amount of the tuition. It's affordable and will help me professionally, so why not? It's a huge time commitment (four years part-time) but I've already done a master's program and commuted from Philly-NYC for three years. I can do it.

I can't go for two years, though, since we're tied up financially right now and I didn't have time to really prepare and study for the LSATs. Law school's no joke.

And as you also may know, I'm a part-time comedian. I can't do that anymore if I go to law school. So, I've given myself until September 2016 to get as much creative stuff done as possible.

All good so far.

However, part of the motivation isn't just time. I've developed a lot of issues with people in the local comedy scene over the years (for a lot of different reasons) and I do have a major, major grudge against a lot of people. I stopped performing as much as I was just so I wouldn't have to deal with these morons. Anytime I find myself slacking off, I just think of some petty slight and snap right into doing work.

I hate, hate, hate having to tap into that part of me to stay motivated. It's not that easy for me to snap out of that and into my general frame of mind. I can make myself really miserable for way too long.

So that's bad.

This evens out to "just stuff."

Watched the luton ladies earn a tough 4-all draw at the weekend with bedford hockey team. All good there.

One hairy moment was when baby c was playing in the dugout. The bedford defender, in an effort to clear the ball decided to hump it out to the sidelines. Where C was playing. Quick as a shot I got there, lifted her up and decided to hoof the ball away and back into play.

I toe poked the ball, rather than sidefoot it.

Ibuprofen is awesome.

• Like 1

So I get a call from my jobs' General Counsel telling me that starting next month, that they will only be paying me for 20 hours a week, AND they are expecting me to still be in the office for 40 hours a week.  I'm in a weird position in that the owner of my agency also owns the insurance company that I sell for.  I usually get the screws put to me by getting all the extra work from the insurance company, but none of the benefits(actual benefits, elegibility for company contests, etc.).  I have to work on Saturdays, in which I was told that "Saturdays, you work for commission only"...even though I run the office. I told the lawyer, "well if that's the case, then I'm only gonna be in the office FOR ONLY 20 HOURS.  The rest of the time, I'll work outside, selling".  He told me that he "expects me to work in the office for the full 43 hours.

I'm confused about the legality of it all.  On one hand, I'm an hourly employee, and on the other hand, I'm a commissioned agent. I"m definitely getting screwed here.  He's knows I'm a convicted felon and how hard it is to get a hired job out here(i'm contemplating starting my own independent agency), and he has made comments reminding me so.  Bottom line is:  is this legal?

Not to be all in your private business, MADCAP, and maybe you've looked into this already--but can you clear your record?  It takes some manuvering, but it can be done if it wasn't a 'serious' felony. (sometimes)

There are some decent online sources out there:  felon-jobs.org or felonyfriendly.org could help.

• Like 1

This evens out.

I spent a lot of my life living with a very cynical, negative mindset. I got out of that in my mid-20s. I learned to really let things go, and to try and not hold grudges, and to just have as much fun as possible. I'm also a firm believer in constantly trying new things and giving myself new goals -- if I don't, I get stuck in a rut, which leads to my depressive tendencies popping up.

This is steering me towards law school. I currently write about the law and my job will pay for a substantial amount of the tuition. It's affordable and will help me professionally, so why not? It's a huge time commitment (four years part-time) but I've already done a master's program and commuted from Philly-NYC for three years. I can do it.

I can't go for two years, though, since we're tied up financially right now and I didn't have time to really prepare and study for the LSATs. Law school's no joke.

Don't go to law school. There's no jobs unless you're going to hang your shingle. Don't go and think you're going to make the big bucks at the big firms. Median income for lawyers is $63,000 and that's skewed by the guys making obscene amounts of money.

On the other hand, trial us nothing more than improv, so the comedy thing might help.

Median income for lawyers is $63,000 and that's skewed by the guys making obscene amounts of money.

Guys making obscene amounts of money won't skew the median.  That's now how "median" works.  A median of $63,000 means half the lawyers are making more than $63,000, half are making less.  The top guys making eleventy billion dollars instead of just a billion wouldn't move the median one penny.

• Like 1

So my dad has been a mess physically for a long time.  He had nerve and pain issues that forced him to retire early 7 years ago and was diagnosed with Parkinson's somewhere in there as well.  Four years ago, he had a heart attack and damn near died.  The doctors are still trying to figure out how he didn't.  After that, his health dropped significantly.  This year, he got diagnosed with kidney cancer.  He went in for surgery a couple months ago and had a long recovery.  He's been in a rehab facility for a couple weeks.

In the meantime, my mom has been his sole caretaker except for the few weeks my brother & I were in town (while she was having cancer surgery).  It's basically been four years of no sleep for her since Dad gets up every couple hours during the night.

Anyway, his time in rehab has convinced her she can't take care of him.  And she's definitely right about that.  So she's basically made the decision dad needs to go in a home, something my brother &I both agree with. 

So why is this in "stuff" and not "son of a"?

She went to the rehab place this morning to talk to him about it - something that's tricky since he's only lucid for periods after his Parkinson's meds are taken.  She was expecting him to be upset and combative.  He wasn't.  Somewhere along the line he'd figured out he was going to be impossible to care for and he was basically just waiting for mom to tell him he was going in a home.  He was cool with it and that's a really good thing.  I'm sure on some level he's depressed about not going home.  But this really is the best thing for both of them.  For one thing, it means my dad will get good care.  For another, it means my mom will be able to continue having some of the freedom she's had the last few weeks not having to care for Dad 24/7.  She may even visit us in Spokane and see our house, which she's never seen.

So, yeah, "stuff".  Not good, not bad, just life.

Median income for lawyers is $63,000 and that's skewed by the guys making obscene amounts of money.

Guys making obscene amounts of money won't skew the median.  That's now how "median" works.  A median of $63,000 means half the lawyers are making more than $63,000, half are making less.  The top guys making eleventy billion dollars instead of just a billion wouldn't move the median one penny.

The thing about law school: 1) I don't have to worry about the debt because my job will pay for a lot of school 2) At the very least, it will help me get a promotion at my job (which is writing about environmental and energy law). 3) I make below that median income.

• Like 1

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/03/29/features/index.html

Since today is today, here is a reminder from an old newspaper article that Lord James Blears (AKA "that old dude that read proclamations at All Japan title matches forever" to a lot of people), was a World War II veteran, and a badass.

• Like 1

So I decided to put up the Christmas lights yesterday.  Haven't put up lights in quite a long time - over a decade.  Bought a bunch of icicle lights and commenced to hanging them up.  After numerous hiccups (like starting with the first string going to the wrong direction, putting the plug at the wrong end, and having 30+ of the clips I bought bust when I tried to use them), I managed to finish getting them put up (10 minutes) before my wife came home from her weekend getaway.  Whew.  Nice surprise for her!  She says "oooh, can't wait to see them when it's dark!"  We go outside and.......

THERE"S A 4-FOOT STRETCH IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE STRAND NOT WORKING.  

They were all working 3 hours earlier.  WTF.

Fortunately, I bought more strings than I needed so I can just swap it out but still.  

Trial reports:

1. Was in trial last week.  Defendant was found in the passenger seat of a stolen car about 20 min after it was reported stolen.  Driver admitted he stole it with our guy.  Our guy had a set of bump keys on his person which he said he uses to steal cars, but not this one.  He was an innocent bystander that was just getting a ride from his friend.  Also, a month before trial, he picked up a new theft charge where he was selling a flute on craigslist that was burglarized from a house about 4 hours before, then sold it to an undercover cop.  We tried the car theft in guilt/innocence and the flute theft in punishment.  We kept the jury out for a day, but they convicted him the next day.  The State's offer was 18 months in state jail, but we got probation from the jury.  He got out that very day. 

2.  Was supposed to be in trial this week, and I was ready to tear the racist cop's ass up on the stand (he had been suspended for crazy racist rants to other cops, then accused them of racism for calling him a racist), but they went ahead and dismissed it.  Cop had already been fired from one agency, hopefully this'll get him fired from the next. 

Both clients were very happy, which is the most important thing. 

I'm going through an interview process with a company, and they have asked me to put together a five minute video on various topics to introduce myself to the current employees. I know how I want to answer the questions, but I've never put a video together. Any tips or things I should avoid if I don't want to look like an idiot?

I'm going through an interview process with a company, and they have asked me to put together a five minute video on various topics to introduce myself to the current employees. I know how I want to answer the questions, but I've never put a video together. Any tips or things I should avoid if I don't want to look like an idiot?

Include lots of Randy Savage "Ohhhhhhhh yeah" moments.

• Like 2

1. Don't discuss politics

2. Leave the Cleveland Browns Dawg Pound hoodie in the closet

3. Follow Tabe's advice. Don't forget to include Macho's "No More Questions!" response and spin-around move to finish off your video.

• Like 1