DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Job interview officiated by two officers in the Air National Guard?  Piece o' cake.

(But seriously with the questions about if I've worked with engineering scales and property systems like sprinklers though THE REQUIREMENT FOR THIS JOB WAS A BACHELOR'S DEGREE AND A DRIVER'S LICENSE IF I KNEW I WAS EXPECTED TO KNOW ALL THIS I'D HAVE ASKED MY DAD FOR POINTERS)

Frugal laundry detergent?  LA Awesome's liquid detergent in the orange (stain lifter) or blue (oxygen-based) bottle.  32 loads for $1.00 at your finer Dollar Tree/Dollar General stores.  The other versions are good, but I prefer the orange and blue.  Grab some fake Oxiclean--also $1.00 and if you're lucky, Dollar Tree has the bonus 32 oz. containers that day.  Add a scoop of Dollar Oxy along with the detergent.

But making detergent is cool.  I've been meaning to try it.  Here's a super simple recipe:

Hot water

1 bar (4.5 oz) Ivory Soap – grated

1 cup Washing Soda

• In a large saucepan add grated soap and enough hot water to cover. Heat over medium-low heat and stir until melted.
  • Fill a large pail with 2.5 gallons of hot water, add hot mixture. Stir until well mixed.
  • Then add the washing soda, again stirring until well mixed.
  • Set aside to cool.
  • Use 1/2 cup per full load, stirring well before each use

That sounds like the recipe from The Simple Dollar.  You wouldn't be a reader of that blog, would you?

My wife just went a full 12 Rounds with Toys R Us, but we finally got our four year old the Disney Frozen Backpack she's been telling us she wants for school.

Toys R Us had a sale where you buy the backpack and get a free lunch box. Score, right? Wrong! She buys it online, since that stuff flies off the store shelves, but they don't give her the lunch box. So, she just prints off her confirmation and drives to the local store to get one. Easy right?

Wrong! She has to have the backpack IN HAND to get the lunch box. And, they just got the shipment in that day, so it'll most likely be sold out by the next day. So, she can go without, or she can purchase a backpack from the store and get the lunch box. And then cancel her online order. NOPE! Her order has started processing, so it might be too late. If it's too late, then we just have to tell the mailman, or the UPS driver we don't want the package. But, if they just leave it on the doorstep, then we're stuck with it.

Well, she took the risk and bought it at the store, because of how much the kid wants it. Then, on her way to the car, she noticed that they also charged her $15 for the lunch box . . . . . . 

On Sunday I accidentally touched a 700 year old painting.  Ever since, I'm constantly struck by the fleeting impermanence of modern life.  99.999% of things created within our lifetimes will likely cease to exist within that lifetime.  The move to digital media is just hastening the degradation of our civilization's legacy.

So I'm home in Michigan taking care of my Dad while Mom recovers from her breast cancer surgery.  Dad's health is bad and he has declined a lot since a heart attack in 2010.  Parkinson's and so on.  He's 68 but looks 85 and needs help about half the time with life's most basic functions.  Anyway...

As a lot of you know, I'm a Detroit and University of Michgian sports fan through-and-through.

So I'm helping him getting ready for bed the other night and he's going to be wearing a Michigan State shorts and shirt to sleep.  We struggled getting him ready.  Then he says to me "Green and white......great colors, aren't they?"  I told him his shirt was ugly and he says "Yeah, well who won the Rose Bowl last year?"  Next morning, he gets up and he's looking for a shirt to wear and selects a New York Mets one.   He goes to put it on and I say "New York Mets???"  and he just says "Yeah".  I tell him "I don't even know who the heck you are!"  and he laughed.  Then I see a Chicago Blackhawks jersey in his closet, the ultimate betrayal.  When I questioned him, he said "I like the colors!"

Later that day, he was struggling to do something and I gave him some instructions and he says to me "Yes Mom" in the most sarcastic way possible.  I cracked up and told him "I've been waiting for that.  I'm impressed you held out for 3 days before saying it" and he laughed.

My old man struggles with the most mundane of tasks but he's still got the spunk to sit there and troll me.  God bless his mischievous old self.

This doesn't really rise to the level of RAWR ANGER or anything, but it's something I legitimately wonder about and more of an annoyance than anything.

Why do people follow people, things, or entities on social media that they quite clearly don't like?

This doesn't really rise to the level of RAWR ANGER or anything, but it's something I legitimately wonder about and more of an annoyance than anything.

Why do people follow people, things, or entities on social media that they quite clearly don't like?

Is this because I said I followed Bryan Mills on twitter?

Is this because I said I followed Bryan Mills on twitter?

Nah, it's not you. Just some of the stuff I see on Facebook and what not.

Bought a can of Coke last night and got a 1929 nickel in my change.  Looked it up and it's not worth anything significant, especially since it's not in very good condition.  Still, that's the oldest coin I've ever had.

• Like 1

1. Near the end of June I had a meltdown while working due to not having more than one day off a week for a few months in a row. Took the next day off of work and applied at a new company.

2. Did a few interviews and a whiz quiz. During the last interview I was told that they would like to hire me but they had a weird case where an ex-employee came back at the same time they were ready to hire me. They said they'd keep me in mind if anything opened up.

3. A week or so later I get a voice mail from them. I return the call and am told that no one called me. Then I realize that I got the stupid voice mail a week after they had called to arrange the second interview. I felt like a real tool.

4. Up until last week I was working at the other job and doing six days/sixty hours a week and was happy with that. Then last Wednesday I got another voice mail from the prospective employer. I returned the call the next morning and was waiting for a return call. If they called back and said that they hadn't called me I was ready to start questioning my own sanity.

5. They returned the call and they actually did call me. So I'm not (too) crazy after all. Turns out they had a driver quit and wanted to know if I wanted the job. I told her yes, I called my boss a half hour or so later and gave my notice. I told him that Friday was my last day(this was Thursday). When I got back to the terminal that night I turned all of my stuff in and told the night manager that I wouldn't be in on Friday.

6. I started the new job this past Monday riding with another driver learning some of the routes. I've had a few of the other drivers talk to me and ask me how I like it. When I tell them that I love that the place is organized they look at me like I'm crazy. It might not seem organized to them, but coming from my point of view, considering where I have been for the last year, it seems very organized and professional.

Bought a can of Coke last night and got a 1929 nickel in my change.  Looked it up and it's not worth anything significant, especially since it's not in very good condition.  Still, that's the oldest coin I've ever had.

I don't know how Canadian currency was minted back then, but if it's got a high silver content, the silver alone should make it worth at least a few bucks.

There is no reason to think that a piece of US currency minted in 1929 would bring anything other than the best of luck!

• Like 2

I don't know how Canadian currency was minted back then, but if it's got a high silver content, the silver alone should make it worth at least a few bucks.

Silver was no longer used in Canadian nickels starting in 1922. A 1929 nickel would in fact be almost pure nickel, the base metal value of which would be roughly 8 cents.

Yeah, I noticed that a 1921 nickel would've been worth thousands of dollars, but didn't bother checking why.  The silver is probably a factor there.

(edit to clarify: not the silver in and of itself, but the fact that nickels earlier than 1922 contained silver probably led to them being taken out of circulation, which made them rare, which made them worth a lot of money.)

To be more specific, I consulted a Canadian coin book I have. I briefly was interested in such things.

In May 1921, legislation was passed to change the 5c coin to a larger coin made of nickel. The mint melted practically all 3 million 1921 coins. It's believed that only 400 coins survived, in collector sets and sold to visitors to the mint in the first half of 1921, but no coins made it into circulation. A coin in VG-8 condition has a book value of $3,500 while a coin in SP-65 condition could fetch $75,000 (at least back in 2006)

In the US, we used silver for dimes and quarters until 1964. These coins are often called "junk silver" because they don't have collector value, but because those coins were 90% silver. Any combination of $1.40 in those coins equals one Troy ounce of silver, which is presently worth around $20.

Went to my 20 year High School Reunion.  It was just like High School: I sat with my wife in a booth away from all the people I couldn't wait to be away from 20 years ago.  Even with the free drinks I think we barely lasted an hour.  I kept in touch with all my friends from high school.  None of them came.