DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

This will probably end up in the Son of A thread eventually, but I came in to work to find out my employer has been acquired by a German firm.  I have no idea how this will impact my job, or if I'll still have a job soon.  Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

So he's gonna win the whole thing, right?

He'd better, or I'm going Elvis on my TV.

My non-news news:  I've been stuck behind a train three times over six days.

Driving across town the a couple weeks ago I got stuck behind the same train 3 times in three different spots.  It was more than a little maddening.

Our younger cat, Dash, is quite a character.  He loves to pull books off of shelves and paw through them, for example.  Last night, I'm in the bathroom getting ready for bed and I hear him out in the living room meowing at the top of his lungs.  He does that sometimes - just to get attention, to tell me to go to bed (yes, he actually does that), or whatever.  Anyway, I'm in there and he comes flying into the bathroom at 1000mph, goes behind the door, knocks a bottle off the edge of the tub, and then goes flying back out of the room, again at 1000mph.  All in one fluid motion, no stopping, no nothing.  It was so freaking hilarious.  Like my cat just decided out in the living room "I'm gonna run in there and knock over a bottle so he'll go to bed" or something.  

BySJbqwCYAAmHRP.jpg

That bizarre moment when you realize Bill O'Reilly's plan to stop ISIS is basically The Expendables, only, like, for real.

You know Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and I believe John Oliver were all over that bit.

Conversely to yesterday, today can do one. Feel it in my bones.

have to write a deviation (possibly two) about staff not being trained properly and therefore not following process about patient data.

Plus - I was up at 330 with the screaming ab-dabs. not a good wake up call when you have to run from the knees downwards...

So my cousin texts me today, and to make is short, he and I have different ideologies.  He's a minister, and I'm an atheist.  He's done this before, where he tells me he's praying for me and so on, and I normally just let it slide because he's family, even though I feel insulted by it.  Today he tells me that he hopes I find god and knows I will one day.  I love him like a brother, always have, but I feel like he's being very condescending, because I've never once called him into question for what he believes in.  Has anyone else had a situation like this?  Am I wrong for feeling insulted?

Guest The Magnificent 7

So my cousin texts me today, and to make is short, he and I have different ideologies.  He's a minister, and I'm an atheist.  He's done this before, where he tells me he's praying for me and so on, and I normally just let it slide because he's family, even though I feel insulted by it.  Today he tells me that he hopes I find god and knows I will one day.  I love him like a brother, always have, but I feel like he's being very condescending, because I've never once called him into question for what he believes in.  Has anyone else had a situation like this?  Am I wrong for feeling insulted?

Can't tell you how to feel, but my brother is an atheist.  I don't call him up and expressly tell him I'm praying for him, but I do pray for him.  I pray for lots of people, some who I don't even know their religious persuasion.  He's also married to a Polish Catholic, so I imagine his old lady prays for him, too.  Mostly I pray for their health and success.  For instance if I get in a car with a bunch of people I say a quick one to St. Christopher to travel with us and protect us.  I don't say, "Hey Chris, protect me and Jim, but that dude Random Act is on his own in the passenger's seat."  Would that offend you if someone prayed for your protection or safety, for example? 

I don't know. 

He's never felt insulted, just like I don't feel insulted when he writes death metal songs about Beast Nero and the like. 

More than likely your cousin just cares for you.  If it's a constant thing it would get irritating, but I don't think insulting unless he's implying you're a dummy or something and vice versa. 

Don't be one of those minority of a whiny bitch atheists ;) basically. 

It's not like he's saying he's going to baptize you after you die.  Just maybe deflect it like you've probably had to do from time to time. 

Atheists and religious folk can talk quite easily and respectfully with each other.  Especially if you're related.  Just my perspective.

I don't think you're entirely addressing what RandomAct actually said. I don't think most atheists have anything against religious people praying for them, or even telling them that they're praying for them. I'm an atheist, and when religious friends or acquaintances say they're praying for me, I treat it the same as when non-religious people say they're thinking about me, or sending good vibes, or whatever. Basically it just means they care and they're trying to be nice.

But there is a difference between that and saying something like "I know one day you'll find God," which I agree is a bit patronizing and condescending. Just like me telling a religious person "I know one day you'll realize that you're wrong and that all this religion stuff is silly" would be condescending. Even though I do think they're wrong, and I do think that religion can be silly - I still realize that it's up to them to make their own decisions and that they have their own, often complicated, reasons for believing what they do.

For RandomAct, I guess I would just try to keep in mind that, even though your cousin is being condescending - and you're not wrong to feel insulted by that - it is coming from a place of love and caring. It must be hard for your cousin to see someone he cares about who has the "wrong" beliefs on what is (to him, at least) such an important, life-changing matter which, depending on his particular beliefs, might even have eternal repercussions. If that's the case, it would be pretty uncaring of him to not try to do or say something to convince you.

So unless he's being really in-your-face about it, I would just try to let it go. That said, if he keeps saying things like that, I also don't think there's anything wrong with explaining to him how you feel. If he's a minister who mostly deals with religious people, he may not even have considered that what he's saying could be condescending to an atheist.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I don't think you're entirely addressing what RandomAct actually said. I don't think most atheists have anything against religious people praying for them, or even telling them that they're praying for them. I'm an atheist, and when religious friends or acquaintances say they're praying for me, I treat it the same as when non-religious people say they're thinking about me, or sending good vibes, or whatever. Basically it just means they care and they're trying to be nice.

But there is a difference between that and saying something like "I know one day you'll find God," which I agree is a bit patronizing and condescending. Just like me telling a religious person "I know one day you'll realize that you're wrong and that all this religion stuff is silly" would be condescending. Even though I do think they're wrong, and I do think that religion can be silly - I still realize that it's up to them to make their own decisions and that they have their own, often complicated, reasons for believing what they do.

For RandomAct, I guess I would just try to keep in mind that, even though your cousin is being condescending - and you're not wrong to feel insulted by that - it is coming from a place of love and caring. It must be hard for your cousin to see someone he cares about who has the "wrong" beliefs on what is (to him, at least) such an important, life-changing matter which, depending on his particular beliefs, might even have eternal repercussions. If that's the case, it would be pretty uncaring of him to not try to do or say something to convince you.

So unless he's being really in-your-face about it, I would just try to let it go. That said, if he keeps saying things like that, I also don't think there's anything wrong with explaining to him how you feel. If he's a minister who mostly deals with religious people, he may not even have considered that what he's saying could be condescending to an atheist.

Yeah I don't have any issues with what you are saying.  I just think maybe insulted is too strong of a word is all.

Don't feel insulted by prayer.  It comes with good intentions, and means that someone cares enough about you to ask for your well being.  In many ways, it's a compliment.

As for 'finding God one day'--I can see where that would bother you.  Most religious people simply believe in leading 'lost souls' back to the Good Shepherd.  But who says you see yourself as a lamb to be corraled?

Ultimately your cousin, while testing your patience, is trying to save you from what he sees as impending damnation in his mind.  Just tell him that while you realize he's coming from a good place, you're an adult with fully formed opinions that you hope he would respect.  If your cousin cares, he'll try to understand.

Yeah, the praying for me part I can live with.  I feel like his heart is in the right place there.  He's not super in my face about it, but it's something that comes up once in a while.  I told him that I just don't know how to respond, but I'm touched by his concern.  It's like Jumbo said, I'd never tell him that his way is wrong, and I feel like sometimes there is a lack of respect for my beliefs.  I'm not one of those atheists that are just as zealous as the Christians they are railing on against.  I guess that's where me being insulted comes in, I just feel somewhat disrespected.

I would tell him just that--that you're an adult who can make up your own mind and wouldn't try to change his beliefs even though you don't agree with him.  It's not about who believes what.  It's about respecting that everyone takes this journey called life in their own way.  It's already hard enough without those who love us trying to push us around.

If that doesn't work, I'm available--for a small fee--to cuss out your cousin for you. :lol:

I have a cousin who's a crazy, Born Again/ Ex Drugged out Hippie turned Jesus Freak in the Mid-Seventies, guy. He's a lot older than me and lived in Kentucky so we were never close. We'd see each other on Christmas when I was a kid and he was in his early twenties. I'd hear stories from relatives about how "he's nuts!", but I never thought about it. One day when I was around 22 I came home from work and there was this thick letter in the mail from him. I hadn't seen him in years. I open it up and it starts real nice, all "How are you? I hear your doing well at work" then it started getting Bible quotey. Then REALLY Bible Quotey. Then nothing but scripture about how I was going to hell if I didn't give myself to Christ, written in what I remember was red ink. I got about 5 pages into this terror that was about 22 pages long two sided. It freaked me the fuck out. I called my Dad and told him I got this fucked up letter from my cousin. He laughed and said, "Ah, you finally got YOUR Crazy Brian letter!" and laughed louder.

So, I'd just take that stuff and just accept the good part, put aside the weird stuff. It's not THAT bad.  :lol:

• Like 2

Just send him a similar message: "Dear cuz, thanks for your message. You are in my thoughts as well. Please know that I hope you will acknowledge the utter falsity of your religion, and know you will one day."

• Like 2

A couple weeks ago, I got home from work, hopped on the elliptical and did a nice 45-minute workout.  My dog was giving me that "dude, I need to go outside" look so I took him outside - still sweaty and stuff from the workout.  It was chilly outside and naturally an hour later, I'm feeling the effects of a cold.  That was 15 days ago and the damn cold still won't go away.  I feel generally OK but the half box of kleenex I'm going through every day sure says otherwise...