DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

On the work front we're two people short thanks to some recent changes.  The one had a 6 month probationary period and was objectively awful at his job.  Nice guy but didn't know what he was doing and was super slow.  They let him go the Friday before the period ended.  The other person was good at her job and helped a ton but mentally checked out after a couple weeks of working here.  She lasted at most three months before putting her one week resignation (she claimed she couldn't do two)  To top if off her last day was on a Friday but she just left her stuff on the desk Thursday and never showed up.  I get why she seeked elsewhere but it's not worth burning a bridge over.

So I basically went from having backup on the phones to now mainly just me taking calls.  On top of that the email system went down for two departments and we've been slammed dealing with all of this.  Hoping they get two competent people that care about their work but until then it's gonna be tough going until that happens.  Fun times.  At least I have Fall and Halloween to look forward to.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Edited to respect Betsy's wish in the post below.

Y'all, I am VERY protective of these (good/baseline/bad) threads because they in the past have let me deal with various terrible things.  So let's not escalate this in the thread.  I've already DM'ed Player One, so let us move along.

Let us speak of warm and fuzzy things like kittens... Like the feral kitten that showed up here three days ago and seems to have taken up residence under the bed. I would have thought that the gang of ten, being the territorial creatures that they are would have chased it away, but no, they are all taking turns rubbing on it, showing it where the food dishes are and being as welcoming as all get out. I think our pets have a pet. The only problem with this is that we really don't want an eleventh cat, particularly not one that is terrified of humans and runs whenever it sees one of us. I'm not sure what the hell to do, I don't want to call animal control on the poor thing, but I don't really want to adopt a feral cat either. I guess we'll just see where this goes...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Let us speak of warm and fuzzy things like kittens... Like the feral kitten that showed up here three days ago and seems to have taken up residence under the bed. I would have thought that the gang of ten, being the territorial creatures that they are would have chased it away, but no, they are all taking turns rubbing on it, showing it where the food dishes are and being as welcoming as all get out. I think our pets have a pet. The only problem with this is that we really don't want an eleventh cat, particularly not one that is terrified of humans and runs whenever it sees one of us. I'm not sure what the hell to do, I don't want to call animal control on the poor thing, but I don't really want to adopt a feral cat either. I guess we'll just see where this goes...

Congratulations on your eleventh cat, John.

I've been having recurrent stomach/intestinal issues and I'm finally going to the doc to see what's going on.  Can't wait to see what fresh hell my body can spring on me.

Coworker: Hey, where's the paper cutter.

Me: Under my desk, but be careful because the finger guard broke so don't go putting your finger in it.

*10 seconds pass*

Coworker: OW, FUCK, MY FINGER.

This dude is an engineer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Coworker: Hey, where's the paper cutter.

Me: Under my desk, but be careful because the finger guard broke so don't go putting your finger in it.

*10 seconds pass*

Coworker: OW, FUCK, MY FINGER.

This dude is an engineer.

The father of my friend (he does art for me too) was an engineer. He designed missiles and what have you. According to my friend he has trouble working the dish washer. Maybe its a thing with smart people. 

On 9/10/2018 at 4:20 PM, Victator said:

The father of my friend (he does art for me too) was an engineer. He designed missiles and what have you. According to my friend he has trouble working the dish washer. Maybe its a thing with smart people. 

I was on a train today with a goddamn nuclear engineer for the gub'mint, if what he said could be believed, and I swear to fuck the guy cut his own hair.  Or he's dumb enough to have someone with Parkinson's do it for him. Either way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I was on a train today with a goddamn nuclear engineer for the gub'mint, if what he said could be believed, and I swear to fuck the guy cut his own hair.  Or he's dumb enough to have someone with Parkinson's do it for him. Either way. 

Maybe he used this

Spoiler

Let me point out that the candidate I sent to an interview who showed up in full plate armor explaining that he was in SCA and had a tournament right after lunch was an engineer (among other things), on paper easily one of the best candidates I ever worked with. Unfortunately, not so much in the common sense dept.

• Haha 1

It makes me think about some interviews and commentaries from Scrubs talking about how doctors compare surgeons to frat boys. Just because you are brilliant at one specific thing doesn't make you brilliant at anything else.

Oh yeah. I have a friend currently in med school to become a neurosurgeon (who coincidentally also did enough lab work that he could have had a PhD by now) who's the quintessential lovable idiot.

During the Freddie Gray riots, we were watching people come out of the North Street CVS with whatever. He turns to us and says, "So...are they just, like, going in there and taking whatever they want?"

The other four people just gawked at him. Only I was able to speak. "Yes, Jason, that's the dictionary definition of looting."

Surgery is basically eye/hand co-ordination. Not to be political, but a recent candidate for POTUS was one of the best neurosurgeons in the world and the man is a complete idiot.  

When our cat Spike had cancer our vet said that he was a competent surgeon, his partner was a good surgeon, but he knew a "gifted surgeon" that we could fly in for the operation. We did so and the guy did his best, but missed some cells, so the tumors came back. Anyway, talking to him it was like he was autistic or something, just not aware of the world around him at all. Nice enough fellow, but definitely an odd bird.  When they showed us what he had to do in surgery, I was amazed at the complexity of the operation. This is on a cat mind you, imagine the work done on humans by these guys.  

Kitten update: 

She now comes and sits on the bedroom throw rug while I'm on the computer. We were able to catch her long enough to ascertain, that yes, she's a she and damned if I don't think she might be a Maine Coon. Or at least partly, the bushiness is right, the coloring is right, I don't know. Anyway, she's adapting a bit more each day, she''s been christened "Bushi" which is of course a bad pun and wrestling reference all in one. Looks like yes, we have cat #11.  We just keep talking to her, calling her by name and making sure that she knows where the food and warm milk is coming from. I think she'll be fine, she hasn't used the litter box that I'm aware of, instead she'll scoot outside to do her business. We do need to get her familiar with the litter box before winter hits. The door stays open 24/7 during the summer, during winter, not so much.

• Like 1

The job hunt is still ongoing. The ones that I've really wanted, haven't panned out. I just put in for one that I don't especially want, although it's the highest paying one I've seen yet. 

There's some drama going on with my daughter's flag football game yesterday. They had a game yesterday that ended in a tie, because the coach whistled a play dead, thinking the kid's flag was grabbed when it wasn't and, it would have been the game winner for the team. The other team was really good, so we were taking that the same way Clevland fans probably took the end of the Steelers game. Well, apparently the other coach is infamous for cheating (yes, during flag football games for six and seven year old kids), the other coach actually called him out for several plays that weren't legal. So, the coach's wife wants him to talk to the head of the league and see if they'll turn the tie into a win.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said I started college two weeks ago. Combination online and in person classes. Only difficulty has been the website is not very intuitive. So I have nearly missed assignments because of this. But because I am a super genius, I don't have internet right now. I am using my phone as a hot spot atm, which is a bad idea usually. 

I qualify for a program that will allow me to get very cheap internet thru AT&T. I had tried to get it in January, but I had a contract with Earthlink and they are a AT&T vendor. So I would need to pay Earthlink 200 bucks so they could pay AT&T, all so I could get accepted into a program to help poor people get affordable internet from AT&T. 

So last month my contract was ending. I contacted Earthlink to cancel my service, so I could get started with the new program. Since AT&T told me my application would be in the system for a year. So my internet ends and I contact AT&T, who inform me I would need to reapply, because they now throw out applications after fifteen days. 

I'm a genius because I did not start this at the start of September. But I put my application in again and hopefully, I will be in my new home with cheaper internet. I am working on building my credit so I am never in a situation like I was this summer again. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was given a new assignment at work, it's a more demanding task although it's a lot less stressful on me. And all I had to do was blow my top to one of the managers.

Short version, I was helping out a different department because they were short handed, and nobody could ever seem to tell me before work what I was supposed to be doing. So, one night I decided to text the operations manager and ask if I'm needed the next day. She texts back that she'll let me know. I never hear back, and I get an email from my dept manager with what I need to focus on. My phone rings 15 minutes later, I need to work in the other dept. I was annoyed, but stayed cool. Then, a couple of hours later, another manager calls and informs me that I ought not be texting the ops manager at night. She's out of the office and shouldn't be disturbed. To say I lost my shit would be an understatement. It was pretty much my best Jim Cornette cosplay, intertwined with apologies to the person listening to it, because she shouldn't have been the one who had to hear it.

The next day, I'm expecting an ass chewing. I'm asked to take part in a conference call with the manager that I blew up on, and the ops manager. The call consisted of the ops manager saying, "You've done such a good job helping out, that we want you to do it permanently." - I was fucking gobsmacked. And all the only time it came up was when the other manager said "After the talk you and I have last night, we decided that this was the best thing." which I replied with "That's a generous way to put it"

I found out later from the assistant manager, who I'm really good friends with, that they're keeping my little episode on the down-low. Because a lot of people are fed up with the ops manager for many reasons, and they're worried that other people might hear what I did, and what the fallout was, and get ideas.

• Like 1

See Black Friday, that's supposed to be the day after Thanksgiving, right? And Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November, yeah? Like a week today. So why in the bloody hell am I seeing adverts in the paper saying Black Friday sale starts November 16th?

Stupid imported holidays, there's no need for it. Did anyone in America set off Fireworks on Bonfire night? Did they bollocks like.

• Like 1