DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

I have new frames, which I love, but they're causing an indent on the bridge of my nose, which my old pairs never did. I don't know if I should return to the optometrist for an adjustment or if this is just the price I must pay for heavier frames.

1 hour ago, Control said:

I have new frames, which I love, but they're causing an indent on the bridge of my nose, which my old pairs never did. I don't know if I should return to the optometrist for an adjustment or if this is just the price I must pay for heavier frames.

If it's bugging you, go back and get them adjusted.  I recently got a new pair of glasses that were leaving marks on the tops of my ears and actually hurt to wear by the end of each day.  They tried adjusting them, didn't help, and they ended up letting me pick a new pair.  Some frames just don't work with some heads.

• Like 4

Well, it finally did it. My desktop died. I powered it down after the umpteenth of its annoying crashes, and then it just didn't come back. All signs from poking around point to the PSU, which has a 10 year warranty (not even on year 4). RMAing this one, already bought a new one. I considered a whole new rig, since EVGA has some deals, but I can't justify it, when the next "finally died" is likely to be my 15 year old car. 

But, I finally beat a game of 2048 last night. 

I decided recently I am going to try my hand at stand up comedy. I have been writing jokes for years but was too chicken shit to try. Apparently Huntsville is lousy with open mic nights. I'm nervous but think it could be good for me. At the very least toughen up my anxiety. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Victator said:

I decided recently I am going to try my hand at stand up comedy. I have been writing jokes for years but was too chicken shit to try. Apparently Huntsville is lousy with open mic nights. I'm nervous but think it could be good for me. At the very least toughen up my anxiety. 

I know a guy from high school that tried his hand at comedy.   I don't know what he has online, but if you want to see what not to do as a comedian he would be a good example.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 3:47 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

If it's bugging you, go back and get them adjusted.  I recently got a new pair of glasses that were leaving marks on the tops of my ears and actually hurt to wear by the end of each day.  They tried adjusting them, didn't help, and they ended up letting me pick a new pair.  Some frames just don't work with some heads.

Got an adjustment that made them more comfortable but put even deeper dents in my nose so IDK. They're so fetching, I may just have to suffer for fashion, like an idiot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Control said:

Got an adjustment that made them more comfortable but put even deeper dents in my nose so IDK. They're so fetching, I may just have to suffer for fashion, like an idiot.

That sounds my first pair of Doc Martens in 1993.  I took an 11.5 and Docs are only sold in full sizes.  I bought an 11 figuring I'd "break them in."  Instead, they broke my feet in.  I bought 12s after that, until their quality went to shit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

"Toughen up your anxiety" sounds about as pleasant as "toughen up your shins by kicking a tree until the tree breaks."

Only, instead of your shins, it's your wiener. Nooooo thank you.

You would be surprised at how well immersion therapy works. I had a severe rat phobia since childhood. Last summer my building was invested and I could not go a day without one trying to get on me. 

I finally had enough and killed my first one then my second and so on. So my phobia is gone. Not that I enjoyed killing them, I tried everything I could to get them out. 

I actually have been writing comedy for years. But it was on a list of things I was too chicken shit to try.  So I want to overcome my anxiety and own my fear. 

On 5/8/2018 at 5:05 AM, JLSigman said:

Seems there was an earthquake on the west coast around 4:45am Pacific time. Y'all OK out there?

Apparently was a 4.5. I don't generally notice until they're a 5.  The biggest damage one'll get out here from a 4.5 is something might fall off a shelf, but only if it was on the edge teetering.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Apparently was a 4.5. I don't generally notice until they're a 5.  The biggest damage one'll get out here from a 4.5 is something might fall off a shelf, but only if it was on the edge teetering.

Aren't we all just objects teetering on a shelf somewhere in the West Coast, waiting for a 4.5 earthquake, though?

The American township of Santa Fe has today been reminded of just how lucky they are to live in the greatest country in the world.

During first period class at Santa Fe High School, there were reports of an active shooting. Students and faculty evacuated the building when a fire alarm was activated. According to CBS News, there are at least ten (10) fatalities and one suspect in custody, who is believed to have raided his dad’s gun collection because he has poor interpersonal skills and has been afforded the God-given right to have access to these kinds of weapons.

While emergency staff and grieving parents rush around the campus in a traumatic hysteria, the star-spangled banner can be heard playing through the school’s PA system, as each and every person there is reminded just how amazing their country is.

The 17-year-old student dressed in a trenchcoat and armed with a shotgun and a revolver barged inside a classroom at a southeast Texas high school on Friday and opened fire, killing at least 10 people and terrorizing hundreds more, just like every other nutcase who feels the need to go down in a blaze of glory, killing innocent young people.

Nine students and one teacher were killed in the shooting at Santa Fe High School, according to several law enforcement sources who cautioned that the number could change.

The murder suspect was identified as a local goth kid and police were seeking to gain access to his cellphone and computer, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the shooter, a former member of the high school football team, is being held at the Galveston County Jail on capital murder charges. Bail was denied.

The shooter had no criminal record and Abbott said the only warning sign of danger was a photo of a T-shirt emblazoned with the words “Born to Kill” that investigators found on his Facebook page.

“Sometimes we get a little too free” said the Governor.

“My God it’s good to be American, but it can sometimes be too good”

• Sad 4

Can we still blame Doom and Marilyn Manson or are my references too dated?

But seriously, it's been 19 FUCKING YEARS since Columbine and we still can't figure out how to solve this shit.  More like "we still lack the will to solve this shit," I know.

"Your dead kids don't trump my constitutional rights," indeed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Can we still blame Doom and Marilyn Manson or are my references too dated?

Hey, the one spewing that shit this time is Oliver North, so everything in our culture makes a comeback. 

• Haha 2

I'm going to get political as hell and if I get banned so be it. No one in this country that isn't in a high risk job like law enforcement needs a gun. I've made it to almost sixty-one years old with never firing one and I've worked in and hung out in some places that even the cops wouldn't go, I've had guns pulled on me twice and both times talked the guy down from doing something stupid. Unless you're a subsistence hunter (I have no use for trophy hunters, fuck them and the horse they rode in on), you simply have no need of a rifle of any kind. Semi-automatic weapons? Let's get real, the only reason they exist is to kill large numbers of people by unskilled marksmen. If you feel the need to have one you are at best a psychopath. Handguns? Now we get into an interesting area, other than the afore-mentioned law enforcement, I have no problem with someone in a dangerous situation who is properly trained owning and carrying a handgun. I'll include medical personnel on the graveyard shift, private security guards, cab drivers, I don't really care as long as you can (a.) prove qualified training and (b.) re-qualify every five years.  Oh, and NO ONE needs more than one gun unless they are collecting pre-1900 firearms or black -powder weapons, I don't get the fascination, but it seems a fairly harmless hobby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Volunteered at an elementary school career fair today.  Our employer sent us a bunch of stuff as giveaways, including some little robot kits that the kids are supposed to assemble.  

I figured I ought to put one together beforehand to give as an example, till I took one look at how small the pieces were and decided I needed a plan B.  I had the brilliant plan to take a kit into work, and let the junior engineers loose on it.  They had a team of three engineers working on the thing for two and a half hours.  By the time I had to head over to the career fair, they still hadn't managed to attach the head or arms of the robot.  I'm almost afraid to email em to see if they ever finished.

23 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Poor Bruce who just learned a new place and will now get kerfluffled again! Think about his anxiety!

Bruce has shown remarkable adaptability and will be fine.  It's our two older kitties who are more set in their ways that I'm concerned about.

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

True. I moved last autumn, and my younger cat, who'd lived in the same dumpy apartment nearly the whole 6 years of his life, didn't eat for 4 days afterwards. 

When we drove down to NM from NY last year, the cat didn't make a peep from five minutes after we left until after we got to the new place. I kept checking on him at rest stops to make sure he was still alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Not long after I woke up today I found out the sister I'm currently living with got into a bad accident. She end up being just sore with a little nausea, but from her description of the accident she is lucky to be alive. A moron in a jeep rear-ended her vehicle. From the sounds of it she has no trunk or back seat anymore. Luckily no one else was with her in the vehicle. I'm just happy she is ok physically and mentally. I'm honestly surprised at that. I would be freaked out for a little bit at least, but then again I think she only spoke to me hours after the incident so maybe she had already calmed down at that point. I'm happy she is ok mentally since she hasn't even been driving for a year yet. I'm glad this hasn't ruining driving for her after how long it took for her to finally get a license.

• Sad 2