DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

This short heatwave can go fuck itself. My ac has been broken since last summer, and my 50+ year old split level house sucks. Which leads me to this: I want to get the fuck out of this house so bad. I received this house when my parents died a few years ago, and it's backed up on taxes, and as someone who lives alone, I don't need this fucking thing. 

Honestly, I've thought of literally committing arson so many times, to ditch this thing. I just have nowhere else to go. I sound mental, I know. I think of scenarios often. I know I'd absolutely be happier without having to worry about upkeep and the usual bs that comes with a house. 

I'm literally at the end of my rope about dealing with this thing. 

15 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

This short heatwave can go fuck itself. My ac has been broken since last summer, and my 50+ year old split level house sucks. Which leads me to this: I want to get the fuck out of this house so bad. I received this house when my parents died a few years ago, and it's backed up on taxes, and as someone who lives alone, I don't need this fucking thing. 

Honestly, I've thought of literally committing arson so many times, to ditch this thing. I just have nowhere else to go. I sound mental, I know. I think of scenarios often. I know I'd absolutely be happier without having to worry about upkeep and the usual bs that comes with a house. 

I'm literally at the end of my rope about dealing with this thing. 

Light-hearted advice.

1. Don't do that.

2. If you're going to do that don't post about it on the internet beforehand.

3. If you're going to do that don't post about it on the internet beforehand while having a username with "petrol" in it.

• Like 7

My last two laptops have had hinges that have come undone. The first one was so bad I had to duct tape it open, basically. The second, current one, being an HP, I thought I was in the clear on. I was also a lot more careful with it. Nope. Maybe it's because it has a touchscreen and is heavier but both hinges broke. Even that I could get away with but now the keyboard is possessed. It's randomly thinking certain keys (f1, caps lock, windows key, r, especially, but not just) are being pressed and if you press something it's either unresponsive or gives you a random assortment of characters. I've got a USB keyboard plugged in now and it mostly works so long as the internal one stays quiet (I've disabled the driver for now). Tried system restore, ad/mal/virus scans, etc. No good. It's almost certainly either a defective keyboard, a defective motherboard, or, most likely especially considering the hinge issues and the fact the case is split apart half an inch, just a loose wire. I'll back things up this weekend but I'm very hesitant about opening the thing up. We really can't eat the cost with us having gotten a new roof (shingles were flying off), a new A/C unit in the last twelve months, plus a new faucet and new toilet (was put in poorly by the first owners of the house and was cracking) in just the last two weeks. Plus, you know, pregnant wife. 

And oh yeah, the big one. Car crash on Monday night. I was going home and transferring one freeway to another and the car slipped on a wet patch on the offramp. I fishhooked across the road, hit the back of the (150K mile, paid off 07 Corolla) into a tree and then bounced to a halt a number of yards later. I'm fine, for the most part, and get how fortunate I am for that, but the car sure isn't. We'll see what insurance does for us. The side airbags deployed and while most of the damage was on the back panel, passenger side, a bit of the frame seems affected and moreover, for 07 Corollas, if the side airbags deploy that's generally it. None of this will ruin us, but it's a lot of hits all at once (and all we do is take hits generally). I'm probably just going to have to try to take my chances on fixing the laptop myself. Keyboards aren't expensive, but I'm wary of taking the thing apart because I'm not particularly skilled in that area and I feel like the touchscreen complicates things.

Holy shit, Matt.

You need to get checked out with a doctor anyway, even if you think you're okay.

My dad was in a car accident when he was in his 30's.  He was fine for about six months and then he started complaining about shoulder and neck pain.  Turns out he had a compacted vertebrae and a bulging disc in his neck.

Sometimes the effects of automobile accidents aren't immediate, but they can be debilitating all the same.

I know you're taking a lot of hits on the finances, but take time to tend to your wellness.

Great news: Three-day weekend!

Bad news: As a contractor (six month contract to hire) I don't get paid.  *sigh*

Okay news: I fixed the front door!  

Better news: I have a book written in 1938 about my early family history, dating back at least 450 years to our original settlement in Massachusetts.  Plus LEGO!

• Like 6

My 3day weekend was  last weekend, spent entirely at the Rutland May Days fair running wrestling events. Hot, stressful, exhausting, amazing stuff. Wrestled seven times in three days and diced my ribbons to shit taking bumps off the apron to the pavement (we were set up outside for all to see), but it was worth it.

• Like 2

My 3 day weekend was spent getting ready for moving into our new place.  When not preparing we lazed around the house and went to my mom's yesterday for a quality cookout.  All in all pretty relaxing though coming back to work it's amazing how many people forget their passwords (I work IT support)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

My 3 day weekend was spent getting ready for moving into our new place.  When not preparing we lazed around the house and went to my mom's yesterday for a quality cookout.  All in all pretty relaxing though coming back to work it's amazing how many people forget their passwords (I work IT support)

I had to grill early on Sunday to take advantage of the sunlight.  I fixed a couple of steaks for me and my bae and got done just in time for the afternoon rain.

There was a small carnival running over the weekend at the Odenton VFD grounds.  I felt badly for them.  I passed by a couple of times running errands and it didn't look like anyone was there.

On 5/27/2017 at 3:50 PM, Marty Sugar said:

My 3day weekend was  last weekend, spent entirely at the Rutland May Days fair running wrestling events. Hot, stressful, exhausting, amazing stuff. Wrestled seven times in three days and diced my ribbons to shit taking bumps off the apron to the pavement (we were set up outside for all to see), but it was worth it.

There is superb footage of this for the Wild Okanagan Wrestling: Season Two thread, yes?

• Like 1

@J.T. I have so much footage I don't know what to do with it all. I can't keep up: this has been the busiest year in Okanagan wrestling, ever...and I don't have enough free time now to get shows up. They're taking me 3-4 weeks to edit instead of two. I'm frustrated, but it's a GOOD frustrated.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

@J.T. I have so much footage I don't know what to do with it all. I can't keep up: this has been the busiest year in Okanagan wrestling, ever...and I don't have enough free time now to get shows up. They're taking me 3-4 weeks to edit instead of two. I'm frustrated, but it's a GOOD frustrated.

Sounds like you could use somebody to help you out with that.  But as long as you can handle it somehow it's good to be that busy.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sounds like you could use somebody to help you out with that.  But as long as you can handle it somehow it's good to be that busy.

I do need someone to help me with it but the last few people that helped me with it were so awful and/or malicious if not treated like princes and princesses that I'm pretty DTA about this stuff.

Man, if we could work something out I'd love to take a shot at editing together one of your shows.  I've got 20 years in TV news, so I could probably get you a rough cut together in a day or so.

13 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I do need someone to help me with it but the last few people that helped me with it were so awful and/or malicious if not treated like princes and princesses that I'm pretty DTA about this stuff.

I hear that.  I got so sick of the people doing the DOA shows that I ended up taking it over myself and burning out after six months.  Putting together a cohesive show is actually a LOT more difficult than it might seem, especially when you're dealing with indy wrestling and camerapeople not giving you remotely the shots you need.

Editing is the unheralded portion of all media. It's time consuming, a total nightmare, lacks control of the original footage quality and gets no respect from people who don't know what it's like. Directing a live broadcast must be even more fun.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 11:05 AM, Marty Sugar said:

We toyed with the idea of live editing but I don't think I could handle the stress or going back to drinking that much to alleviate said stress.

Jesus fuck.  When I started at Pinnacle, they were toying with the idea of releasing their shows on Comcast and did one "taping" with live editing, and I don't think I've seen that much stress out of people in my life.  Mix the standard stress of a wrestling show with the stress of having one shot of doing it right with the stress of shoddy equipment and typical terrible wrestling camerawork (seriously, how hard is it to point a camera at the fucking ring?) and I'm shocked nobody's head exploded.

Marty, we should do a podcast or something at some point and go over the trials of running stuff.  If anything, it'd be cathartic.  

• Like 1

Considering the billions of wrestling podcasts that sounds like a very unique concept.  You guys might want to consider that as it'd be an interesting take on what it takes to run a show, don't hear as much about that.

I want all the insider dirt on indy wrestlers I've never heard of. Also that time Chance Beckett stole Mike's soul.

My only take on Kathy Griffin is that I always think that she was the redhead on NewsRadio, but she wasn't.  That was Vicki Lewis.  Kathy Griffin was the redhead on the far inferior Suddenly Susan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Jesus fuck.  When I started at Pinnacle, they were toying with the idea of releasing their shows on Comcast and did one "taping" with live editing, and I don't think I've seen that much stress out of people in my life.  Mix the standard stress of a wrestling show with the stress of having one shot of doing it right with the stress of shoddy equipment and typical terrible wrestling camerawork (seriously, how hard is it to point a camera at the fucking ring?) and I'm shocked nobody's head exploded.

Marty, we should do a podcast or something at some point and go over the trials of running stuff.  If anything, it'd be cathartic.  

I had a pretty cathartic moment screaming at trainees this week, so I'm all in.

• Like 3