DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

I've simultaneously learned that I'm both very proud of, and also am somewhat dumbfounded by my younger sister.  She's grown up to become a very staunch liberal with her political views. She's very passionate about them, and obviously takes the political goings on very seriously. I'm very proud that she's so passionate, but it also seems to be turning her into a total fucking nutcase!

She found out that our brother voted for Trump, and on the morning after the election called and told him that she hoped after he got us all killed, that his last thought was of his nieces and nephew. She then told him that she no longer considers him family, hung up on him, and blocked him on Facebook. Then, she got into it with our Aunt on facebook. She posted that everyone should turn the channel next Friday, and my aunt tells that it won't do anything, and that she should consider running for office, because a smart girl like her can do whatever she sets her mind too. This turned into my sister telling our aunt that she knows that she and my uncle are republicans, and that it's probably best if they don't speak anymore.

I told my wife, that at this rate, she'll enroll my nephew for school and find out that the Principal voted Trump, and will march right back in and yank him out. 

She's passionate which is very good, but she'll just have to learn and adapt to the rest of reality, I guess. She may come around, but who knows? I'd react the same way if I got angered enough, but I doubt I'd alienate my family members who disagree with me. They're still family no matter our differences. I lean heavily on that aspect of my life even if I'm the polar opposite of most of them religiously and some politically. Mine doesn't openly bring up political stuff in familial settings thankfully though because a lot of them are old school and raised the rest the same and I have a LOT of family, way over 100 in my extended family. In the end, it's all up to her for good or ill, maybe she'll learn and consider them mistakes at some point.

Well, a good friend of mine is constantly amazed at who my circle of friends includes based on my politics, which are generally somewhat to the left of Bernie S., and this circle includes a gentleman who has stood three times for a far-right party in his native UK and others of similar beliefs. These folk are my friends for two reasons, (1.) they've always been nice to me, and (2.) I don't discuss spiritual beliefs or politics unless specifically invited to do so. This has served me very well for nearly sixty years, so I don't see any reason to change anytime soon. It helps a lot if you believe that the other person really has humanity's best interests at heart (however misguided they may seem). 

• Like 1

I didn't know where to put this as It's sad news but don't see a sad news thread: the Ringling Brothers Barnun & Bailey circus is shutting down this May after 146 years due to dwindling ticket sales. This is the death of a piece of Americana and our culture.

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I didn't know where to put this as It's sad news but don't see a sad news thread: the Ringling Brothers Barnun & Bailey circus is shutting down this May after 146 years due to dwindling ticket sales. This is the death of a piece of Americana and our culture.

Good riddance to bad fucking rubbish. Every time a circus closes a few less animals are tormented. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I started a thread in tv because I wasn't sure where it went, but. . . 

If they got rid of the animals, I would be fine with it continuing, but as long as that shit goes on, fuck'em. Fuck Americana if it's that type of stuff. Also, fuck Thomas Edison for good measure.

• Like 1

My family and I are deep in the process of selection for being on Family Feud. We went to an audition back in November which went well. We just received an email with a list of 50 dates asking us which ones we'd be available for. We said we are completely open to all 50 dates. Now we wait to see if they book us on the show and fly us to Atlanta.

• Like 1

I have no idea if this is the right thread, but it seems like "stuff" to me. 

Anyways, I'm in the market for a bike. Nothing too suped-up like a mountain bike, sort of a classic Cruiser-like build to go to the store and back. Single gear is fine, but will accept a 3-gear. Guards on the wheels, chain, bracket on the back wheel etc. Price range from $200-$500. 

Any suggestions?

People aren't mad at Steve Harvey for transgressive humor.  That corny mainstream fuckwad is as far from transgressive as you can get.  People hate Harvey because he's a condescending mysoginist chucklefuck who is such a shit he tried to get Bernie Mack fired off Ocean's 11 so he could have the role.  Fuck that Bigen mustached motherfucker. 

• Like 3