DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

The problem with being old and set in your ways is when technology comes along and forces you to change. I've used Cored Wordperfect 11 for my writing pretty much since I started in 2003. Well, I got a new computer last week and installed the program on the disc. I wrote my review up, when to publish it, and got an error. It turns out that WP11 isn't compatible with Windows 7.  So, I have to upgrade to a newer version, which I can get Best Buy for $60.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh.  

Before the DNC, I had genuinely never heard the phrase "Gold Star Family" used for the families of KIA servicemen, so I was very confused this past weekend when the phrase was being tossed around and thought that it was some sort of reference to GoldStar Electronics, the cheap-o Korean electronics company that eventually became LG and who Joel Hodgson seemed to have a vendetta against on MST3K.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm visiting family in Little Rock, Arkansas this week and yesterday as we drove through Memphis, they actually had a radio show where two women sat there and read the entire Memphis newspaper front-to-back.

Apparently, it was for the benefit of blind people.  I guess the Memphis Commercial Appeal doesn't have a brail edition or something.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to set Google so that the "doodle" doesn't change every day? I'd like to just keep it at the Pac-Man anniversary doodle.

I mean, happy birthday to Yma Sumac and what an amazing life you've led, but I don't give a flying fuck about your musical career or had ever even heard of you prior to this morning.

I wore a pair of ill fitting dress shoes to a wedding on Saturday. I very rarely wear dress shoes as I work in an environment where sneakers are acceptable, so every few months when I wear these shoes I say to myself "buy a new pair and toss these" and of course each time I forget.

So I was stuck in these shoes Saturday for about 12 hours and they created a blister the size of a walnut on the side of my left foot.  I've had blisters before but never something this size.  It's enormous and makes wearing shoes of any kind almost impossible. I'm probably going to have to drain it before work today.

So short version fuck this blister fuck my shoes and fuck me for not getting new shoes in time :P

So the flip side of working on a college campus

Getting text alerts saying two men were spotted on campus carrying "assault style weapons"

(It was two guys from ROTC who were participating in training drills)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 10:09 AM, OSJ said:

I don't wear shoes, never have that problem.  

OMG OSJ is actually Kevin Von Erich!!!

In other stuff why is Wendys pushing taco salad like a 90's nostolgia item? Am I missing something here?

Teenage Fanclub is in Philly tonight, and I'm not going. I just don't feel like going by myself. They never come to the States, which sucks. I only saw them once, down in DC at the 9:30 in '05. Which was awesome because I got to meet them too, since I got there WAY early (after over-judging the drive time from South Jersey) and was sitting outside the doorway on the sidewalk when their bus pulled up, nobody else was there except for myself and my girlfriend at the time. For whatever reason we were allowed inside to watch their soundcheck. 

These days I really don't give a shit about anything anymore, but I'm actually bummed about this, more than I guess I should be for some reason. Oh well. 

On 10/16/2016 at 3:05 AM, sabremike said:

OMG OSJ is actually Kevin Von Erich!!!

In other stuff why is Wendys pushing taco salad like a 90's nostolgia item? Am I missing something here?

I don't think I've ever been so deeply insulted. ;-) I should have said that I rarely wear shoes, as I rarely leave the house and have many pairs of comfortable flip-flops and slippers. 

It doesn't surprise me that Wendy's had/has a taco salad, but I , for one will not be investigating same. I've managed to avoid dining at Wendy's for something like thirty years and don't feel I missed a thing.

I am in an interesting situation at work that is bad but not bad enough to really stress about. When I was hired, they intentionally mis-categorized me into a different department than I worked and put me as exempt, even though all my other co-workers were non-exempt (we are all PC techs, so we should be non-exempt). That lasted for a year until I finally complained enough I was switched to the correct department and status, but since I missed out on my job's shift differential since I was labeled exempt, it cost me about $5,000. I know that having employees under the wrong status is a big no-no to the law and can get companies in a lot of trouble.

It is always dicey to file claims against your job while you still work there so I have done nothing about it, but it still annoys me. I don't even know if HR knows about it, or if HR just thinks I was working in the department my title said I did. So I have to decide if I care enough to first go to HR, and if they don't care, ask a lawyer if I have a case or how much of a case. But I think I'd have to do that after I left, company policy says they can't fire me for that but I think it would prevent any future promotions. Tough adult decisions.

So, for the entry-level position I hire for, we send out a skills assessment to prospective candidates. This morning I had an email from one of our candidates:

"<My Name>,

Here is my completed assessment. This was completed while watching Monday Night Football."

I was curious why he thought sharing that last bit would be helpful. I sent back:

"<His name>,

Thanks. You'll be hearing from us shortly. What did you think of the Bears' passing game?"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You know how for dating apps, there are straight versions and gay versions? Is there like a gay version of Tripadvisor? Because it seems like every week or so, on Wednesday or Thursday a gay couple* from way out of town come into the garage, and they always ask for directions to a Bed and Breakfast that's just around the corner. Are midweek mini-breaks in the countryside a big thing in the gay community now?

* As in a different couple every week. Not the same couple who repeatedly ask for directions to somewhere they've already been, that would be weird.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

You know how for dating apps, there are straight versions and gay versions? Is there like a gay version of Tripadvisor? Because it seems like every week or so, on Wednesday or Thursday a gay couple* from way out of town come into the garage, and they always ask for directions to a Bed and Breakfast that's just around the corner. Are midweek mini-breaks in the countryside a big thing in the gay community now?

* As in a different couple every week. Not the same couple who repeatedly ask for directions to somewhere they've already been, that would be weird.

Or an amazing Monty Python sketch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How you know you're middle aged in 2016. You hear a song on the radio for the first time in your life, decide you like it, find the video on youtube... and the see the youtube comments for the song all say things like "Nostalgia time" and "This brings back so many memories" and "This was the soundtrack to my entire childhood".

And it was uploaded three years ago.

Also, you look on youtube for a song from your own childhood, and the comments are all talking about some TV show you've never watched. Often a TV show you'd swear started last year, but they're all saying Season Five.