DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

I have many a friend on Facebook who seem to think that having a fancy camera means they will be able to make a living as a photographer.

I, on the other hand, seem to have lots of friends that think because I have a fancy camera (not even THAT fancy - a Canon T4i), that *I* am a professional photographer.  Uh...no.

Video game time will just become more infrequent the older you get. 

In my case, because my wife gets up super early for work, she goes to bed really early at night.  I'm a night owl so I get 3+ hours every night for games if I want.

I got to work yesterday morning to find the boss banging on the window of a truck with a broom handle because he found the driver sleeping instead of being inside and unloading the truck. I got to work this morning to find the same driver in the back of his truck repeatedly yelling "SHIT! FUCK!" while he was trying to move a tote with a pallet jack without much success. The first thing that popped into my head was to have the truck start talking back to him and saying something along the lines of "Talk dirty to me, daddy!" just to see his reaction. This is all after one day last week when the same driver(who was in his truck unloading it) say "I can't masturbate" loud enough for both myself and another person hear it. When we heard it we looked at each other and exchanged "What The Fuck" glances. I hope I am not there the day this guy finally snaps.

iTunes hates me again. Seems my iPod does not want to sync with my iTunes (and won't even show up under the Devices section or on my PC). Trouble shot everything I can think of. Ugggh

I just had that issue myself. Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes did the trick.

Just had the cops ring my doorbell at 11 o clock at night. Said they were investigating a domestic disturbance but weren't sure of the address. Wouldn't that be something the person who called it in should have given them?

Well, Tuesday during a meeting, my boss asked me about my knowledge of Microsoft servers and I told her about a server I set up in virtualization at home. Don't know if that means I'm going to have a new role soon or not. Either way I'm having to start preparing to take some Microsoft tests to be certified soon.

Then I find out today that my dad just got laid off from his work-from-home job with a computer manufacturer.

I really don't know how I feel at this point. It's neither good nor bad....it's just stuff.

iTunes hates me again. Seems my iPod does not want to sync with my iTunes (and won't even show up under the Devices section or on my PC). Trouble shot everything I can think of. Ugggh

I just had that issue myself. Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes did the trick.

Tried that a couple of times and nothing.  Might try it again though

Just had the cops ring my doorbell at 11 o clock at night. Said they were investigating a domestic disturbance but weren't sure of the address. Wouldn't that be something the person who called it in should have given them?

I've wondered this. most people have cell phones can't they just trace where the call came from just as they would have with caller ID?

Do the local PD have access to real-time cell phone tracing?  I thought that kind of thing takes either some advanced knowledge or advanced equipment that operators wouldn't have.  I mean logistically it would be hard to trace every 911 call that comes in from a cell phone, especially if it was a quick call that got dropped.

My wife's a police dispatcher, and apparently tracking cell phone calls isn't the most accurate because they can only really trace the calls from the closest tower.  Of course, I don't know if the police themselves have access to equipment that can pinpoint locations, but since her job is just putting the calls in to the cops in the area, it'd be more a matter of getting the work out there.

So, after another 3 mile run yesterday evening, my right heel has given out and split.

Wake up his morning, 1 inch split along where the old dead skin is - and walking is pretty painful.

Clean it, savlon it, and cover it.

Deep, unbridled joy. I was getting a good pace going as well.might see what an exercise bike can do in the meantime while the foot heals.

Do the local PD have access to real-time cell phone tracing?  I thought that kind of thing takes either some advanced knowledge or advanced equipment that operators wouldn't have.  I mean logistically it would be hard to trace every 911 call that comes in from a cell phone, especially if it was a quick call that got dropped.

About a month or so ago, one of the yahoos from the local PD was looking for a "stolen" cell phone that he supposedly traced inside my house.  A lot of neighborhood kids use our yard to cut through to get to a middle school/playground that is close by, so I suggested that it probably fell somewhere in the yard.   That's why I put quotes around stolen, most likely some kid lost the phone and made up a story about it being stolen to avoid pissing off his parents.

Anyway, Serpico was insistent that their technology was precise enough to determine within 5 feet where the phone was, kept accusing my stepson of stealing it (he doesn't go to the middle school BTW and could provide an alibi since he was in the high school several miles away) and wanted to come inside to look for it. I told him if he did indeed have any proof, he could use it to get a warrant and come back.  Not surprisingly he never did.  I hate suburban cops.

Video game time will just become more infrequent the older you get.

In my case, because my wife gets up super early for work, she goes to bed really early at night. I'm a night owl so I get 3+ hours every night for games if I want.

I have the same situation. I'll go a week or so not playing anything, then since the wife and kids go to bed early, I play then. I also only sleep like 5 hours a clip, so my getting up early after playing late isn't an issue for me.

This morning I was skyping with my dad, and he mentioned that whenever Mom is really feeling the effects of the chemo/radiation she'll go and lay down in the computer room, which happens to be my old bedroom, and still houses my old bed.  I teared up when I remembered that we had inherited that bed/headboard from my Mom's mom, so after 60+ years it is still giving her comfort when she's sick.

Trying to live frugally, I made homemade laundry detergent and...

damn, it works! I actually made two different kinds because I wanted to see which would work better.

The liquid version I made melting a grated Fels Naptha bar and a cup of Downy Unstoppables in 4 cups of water on the stove. Then I added that to 3 gallons of hot water. I stirred that up, added a cup of Borax, a cup of Super Washing Soda, and stirred that up. After that, I added enough warm water to near the top of a 5 gallon bucket. I sealed the bucket and let it set for 24 hours. The next day I took a paint stirring attachment for my drill and stirred up the 5 gallon bucket again before transferring to some cleaned out, leftover gallon jugs. You have to shake the stuff before using, but damn, it gets our clothes really clean using about a cup for a large load.

The dry, powdered version uses a grated Fels Naptha bar, Downy Unstoppables, Borax (1 box, I think), quite a bit of Oxiclean, Super Washing Soda (1 box, I think), and baking soda. I add 2 tbsp to a large of laundry. Once again, it gets the clothes extremely clean. Smells good too. 

I now figure I have a couple years worth of laundry detergent and powder, all for less than $20.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Dewar, looks like you play GK, too.  What gloves do you use?  And where do you get yours?  I absolutely hate paying the going prices for gloves as they are shockingly expensive and don't last very long IMO to justify the higher end gloves.  I'm curious if you know some good deals out there.  Right now I'm using a nice pair that someone scored me from extra pairs the IU soccer team were getting rid of.

Frugal laundry detergent?  LA Awesome's liquid detergent in the orange (stain lifter) or blue (oxygen-based) bottle.  32 loads for $1.00 at your finer Dollar Tree/Dollar General stores.  The other versions are good, but I prefer the orange and blue.  Grab some fake Oxiclean--also $1.00 and if you're lucky, Dollar Tree has the bonus 32 oz. containers that day.  Add a scoop of Dollar Oxy along with the detergent.

But making detergent is cool.  I've been meaning to try it.  Here's a super simple recipe:

Hot water
1 bar (4.5 oz) Ivory Soap – grated
1 cup Washing Soda

• In a large saucepan add grated soap and enough hot water to cover. Heat over medium-low heat and stir until melted.
  • Fill a large pail with 2.5 gallons of hot water, add hot mixture. Stir until well mixed.
  • Then add the washing soda, again stirring until well mixed.
  • Set aside to cool.
  • Use 1/2 cup per full load, stirring well before each use

I've seen a couple variations that will halve the Borox because some people might be sensitive to it, and others that cut it altogether. Some also use Dr. Bronners or, like you mentioned, Ivory soap instead of Fels-Naptha.

Speaking of Dr. Bronners, I only use it for one thing, which is for spraying on the plants in my garden. I take a couple Tbsp of it, 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper, and water in a spray bottle and then spray that solution on my plants once a day. It supposedly keeps bugs away. I would think the smell and taste would get rabbits, deer (yeah, I get deer in my back yard frequently) and other varmint to stay away. This is my first season using it, so I'm hoping the peppermint or cayenne pepper taste doesn't transfer into the veggies I'm growing.

Dewar, looks like you play GK, too.  What gloves do you use?  And where do you get yours?  I absolutely hate paying the going prices for gloves as they are shockingly expensive and don't last very long IMO to justify the higher end gloves.  I'm curious if you know some good deals out there.  Right now I'm using a nice pair that someone scored me from extra pairs the IU soccer team were getting rid of.

I use Adidas Predators, with the rolled fingers. I used to use gloves with finger protectors, but I found them too hard to make a fist to punch the ball away when I needed to. Doesn't help that I wear size 11 gloves, so my options are limited.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/us/Products/adidas-Goalkeeper-Gloves-adidas-Predator-Roll-Finger-Goalie-Gloves-Goalkeeping-WhiteBlueInfrared-49716.aspx

Those are the ones I currently have. I ordered them from Pro Direct Soccer's UK site, because for some reason it costs half as much to ship from UK to Canada than from the US to Canada. I got them shipped to my door for 70 bucks Canadian, and they have lasted about 15 months so far. Will need to order new ones for the start of winter season.