DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

D-Day is Tuesday. Whole thing shouldn't take more than an hour, if that. Off work for at least two weeks(before first followups) and hopefully back to work right after that. Between weight restrictions and other stuff I'm looking at a month of holding a steering wheel and having a helper to unload. I have previous experience with the helper and he is good. The sarcastic little shit could be my son, if I had ever had kids. Here's to hoping for an easy and uneventful recovery, minus the fact that I'm left handed and the surgery is on my left shoulder. Heh,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the E/R on Thursday due to a kidney stone. Was admitted and got my kidneys lasered and stented. Came back to work today to find out my sick days had reset, so now they're all used again.

15 hours ago, Ace said:

Went to the E/R on Thursday due to a kidney stone. Was admitted and got my kidneys lasered and stented. Came back to work today to find out my sick days had reset, so now they're all used again.

Kindney stones REALLY suck, you have my sympathy. I had 40 of them and when I went for the removal appointment, turns out I'd passed them such was the wait.

Well it looks like winter has finally hit Mid Mississippi. Which is good cause the constant shifts from cold to hot had my bi polar going nuts. Hadn't slept well in 5 weeks. 

To add to the good news,looks like before the BIW show Saturday I am going to interview Apoc Adam Asher. Dude has been wrestling all over TX/LA/MS for at least 20 years now. When he started off he was partnered up with the now Lance Archer.

Also was just given about 10 wrestling dvds to sell at the show.SO YAY MORE PROFIT>

They keep adding more units to the e-learning programme. The latest one is on security and crisis management. In the bit about conflict de-escalation, the course's actual example is: If someone says "My friend doesn't like you. I don't like you either", you should respond by saying "I'm sorry."

Oddly familiar that. Who knew that, even before he had any Jedi training, Luke Skywalker was such a prodigy at conflict management?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AxB said:

They keep adding more units to the e-learning programme. The latest one is on security and crisis management. In the bit about conflict de-escalation, the course's actual example is: If someone says "My friend doesn't like you. I don't like you either", you should respond by saying "I'm sorry."

Oddly familiar that. Who knew that, even before he had any Jedi training, Luke Skywalker was such a prodigy at conflict management?

I just finished my latest IT Security Training course of which I get about two a month. They go to anyone with an e-mail account regardless of whether it is in any way related to your specific job. Luckily they are mostly common sense so I can breeze through the quiz portion without having to waste an hour on the actual training.

• Like 1

I saw a cute little dog almost get run over today. My dog and I were coming back from a walk, and the folks in the house at the intersection of the street I live on had their dogs (two papillons and a mutt of some kind) in their front yard. Right when were about to turn the corner to head home, two yorkie-type dogs came running out the door of a house on the other side of the intersection and ran over to greet the papillons. The lady who owned them came over to retrieve them and was able to grab one of them, but the other one kept running away from her. It then started running back to its house right when a car was coming down the cross street. Thankfully, the car was able to stop just in time, because my day would have been pretty well ruined otherwise.

Edited by NintendoLogic

Finally back to work on Monday, after three weeks off. Between training a new driver and doing my therapy exercises I hope this time goes fast. I got released to work on Tuesday with a 30# Upper Extremities weight limit(in other words lifting no more than 30# above chest level). Was hoping to get back to work this week. Oh well. Final doc followup is in March. Can't wait to get back on my own.

Longtime lurker, first time posting.

I got diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago, and lost the big toe on my right foot at the same time. (big surprise, 35 years of junk food and being a couch potato will give one high blood pressure, diabetes, and a whole bunch of mess). Tldr there's a host of medical issues tied into this, fine. Four years on, they've got my meds at the right dosage so there's less anxiety, and I've had enough surgeries on my feet taking care of ulcers that I know to find creative ways to spend my time when I'm on medical leave to stay off my feet and let my surgeries heal.

So that's me, and I understand why it happened and I can live with it. Heart issues, blood pressure, sugar levels, etc. Been managing it and came to terms a long time ago had I taken better care of myself, I could have stopped this.

What I can't live with is my cousin Jesse, who's a year younger than me and "claims" to be going through some of the same issues yet when you press him for details he goes all ghost town and vanishes.

For example. He seems to be constantly seeking everyone else's pity every other week for one thing or another. Claimed to tear his achilles off the bone, then pops up at some live event on tv in the front row without crutches, a walker, any kind of support. Claims to have had all kinds of surgeries on his back and pops up within weeks at this cookout or at that event and he's standing around just fine without any walking/standing aids.

What grinds on my nerves is, here I'm going through real things, but I don't seek pity parties, I'm not grieving and down in the dumps looking for someone to cheer me up, I'm not group texting my close circle of friends baiting someone to take me out and lift my spirts. I don't do any of that, because like I was saying, I've come to terms on a lot of things going on in my life and accepted responsibility for what my actions back then led to in the present.

Jesse can't help but always find something negative to harp on like its weighing him down heavy. He's stuck at home for months because doctors worked on his back. He's bedridden and needs to go to rehab because of the torn achilles. He'll say something and I see it as obvious bait that he's just on his latest kick of "whoa is me" but for how long this has been going on my family and our friends seem to take the bait every time and they rush to his side, taking him out to the movies, bringing food over and movies so they can cheer him up.

As mentioned he'll mention he's on medical orders to stay in, and then send the group pics at cookouts or live events and nobody seems to notice what he's whining about he turns around and "miraculously" bounces back so fast each time.

And this has been going on for years, since we were in our teens. Pity parties how he wouldn't get a girlfriend because of his obesity. Pity parties about not having a close relationship with one of his parents over language barrier (instead of just, you know, taking classes to learn the language which were offered at our middle school and high school also, as electives).

There's always some reason he's down in the dumps, theres always another tunnel he has to dig his way out of. And the answer is half the group rushes to his side, let's take him his favorite foods. Let's bring over some movie he hasn't seen yet. Let's get him a subscription to this service or that service so that he has something to fill his time when he's at home.

He finds a way to milk them for their time and money, then goes right back to being depressed all over again about something else, and basically its like nobody's caught on yet.

I think potentially there is some depression there sincerely, but he's not ready to see a professional about it because he hasn't held a steady job in forever. He doesn't have the money, and while he has friends and loved ones willing to put their money down for him, he'd rather soak up their finances on pick me ups like collectibles that'll brighten his day, or food.

Like I said, it's getting on my last nerve to the point I want to just cut him out of my life completely. He mentions torn tendons and surgery then not even a month later he's at some game snapping pics and posting them on snapchat or something, no walking aids in sight. He had this surgery to correct some issues with the discs in his back, then he sends us videos of this 5 hour trip he took to the coast to celebrate someone's birthday.

As someone who has had the surgeries and issues with tendons and blood pressure and heart related things, it pisses me off that I'll press him for details (to see if it might be something I can recommend or help with since I'm legit going through those things) and he just vanishes into thin air when I try to ask him something he should have the answer to in seconds.

He's crying wolf, from my vantage point, but nobody picks up how he goes all ghost when I try to put him in the spotlight and ask for specific info. I mean I'm upfront about my issues and what my doc said, what they explained and treatment and how treatment will affect my condition. I'm forthcoming because I get asked time to time how my checkup went, how did this medication affect me versus previous medication. I've been open about it when asked but this guy, nobody calls him on any of it. If they follow up and ask how things are going, he typically ignores texts or replies with more "whoa is me" which triggers more spoiling him with gifts/food.

I could be in the wrong for feeling angry about how he uses everyone. He could legit have some issues that he needs help with. I just wish everyone would open their eyes and see the distinctions between my documented issues and his "i just looked up some quick stuff online but I couldn't go into any detail about it so I'll just ignore the queries" issues. Do they just shrug it off as "That's Jesse," and go back with their lives because they've already gotten used to it and don't even care anymore?

ETA - I did have a discussion about this with another cousin of ours, and he shared with me how he has started to suspect the weirdness of Jesse also. He sees things Jesse mentions that will be contradicted, and is left wondering if maybe Jesse is full of sh-t like I suspect. So that was somewhat relieving to hear, but then I look at everyone else and wonder, okay who suspects something is off, and how many, if any of them do, are there? I almost wish we could sit down together and come to an agreement of sorts about what steps as a group we maybe should take on this issue.

If any of you have had something similar to this, one person in the group constantly seeks out attention and "spoiling them" from everyone else, what did you do/how do you deal with something like this?

I'm willing to just cut ties and happy to explain to our close circle why, but maybe that's not the right step or the correct way to go about it? Appreciate any feedback if any, or a reality check if I need it.

Edited by Hayabusa
Added minor omissions.
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think that you should see if Jesse needs professional help.   Sometimes being full of shit is not really being full of shit.  Jesse could be suffering from undiagnosed clinical depression and he may possibly have a touch of factitious disorder aka Munchausen Syndrome.

I say that because from your explanation,  these events seem to happen in cycles with the attention craving followed by depression if he does not get the mental or social cheerleading he thinks he deserves.  His friends are not helping by enabling his behavior but then again, it seems that no one is aware of the possibility of mental illness accounting for Jesse's behavior; not even Jesse himself.  It's just Jesse being Jesse to them.

The lying about physical ailments red flag that makes me think he may have a touch of factitious disorder.  He fakes ailments to harvest sympathy from his friends, but he certainly seems to know how avoid going to a doctor or sticking around to verify his medical problems to you or anyone else because he knows the suffering is not genuine.

With any illness or disorder, only he can make the decision to seek treatment.   You can only make suggestions that he might have a problem that requires professional assistance, but only he can make the admission to himself that something might be wrong and decide to go get help.

My ex-Significant Other was a very needy person and she could be negative at times, but she didn't fake illness just to get attention and she certainly wasn't depressed most of the time.  It is a pretty tough task to discern personality health from personality disorder but if there is a regularity or pattern to the behavior,  there is probably cause for concern.

I'm not really sure how to advise you how to handle it.  One thing I can say is that you should try your best not to allow your resentment to prevent you from helping him if you can.   There may come a time when he will genuinely require support from you and his friends should be diagnosed with a personality disorder and goes on a path of treatment.  Maybe then you guys can work on shoring up your relationship?

Edited by J.T.

I’m at work yesterday and my co-worker’s phone rings. It’s our supervisor wanting him to come to the office, because the boss wants to talk to them, and only them. 

To back up for a sec, I work with two other guys, my coworker and our supervisor. So it’s basically like saying the boss wants to talk to everyone except me. I know I’m not in trouble, so I’m thinking maybe it’s an evaluation of my performance or something.  They were shitting bricks thinking they got busted for vaping in our county truck (a huge no-no). 

It turned out the boss wanted my coworker to do one thing, and have me and the supervisor do something else. Why that needed to be kept secret from me, nobody knows. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 7:53 AM, Mike Campbell said:

I’m at work yesterday and my co-worker’s phone rings. It’s our supervisor wanting him to come to the office, because the boss wants to talk to them, and only them. 

To back up for a sec, I work with two other guys, my coworker and our supervisor. So it’s basically like saying the boss wants to talk to everyone except me. I know I’m not in trouble, so I’m thinking maybe it’s an evaluation of my performance or something.  They were shitting bricks thinking they got busted for vaping in our county truck (a huge no-no). 

It turned out the boss wanted my coworker to do one thing, and have me and the supervisor do something else. Why that needed to be kept secret from me, nobody knows. 

It's New Mexico dude, everything must be in a cloud of secrecy. Try asking someone where they went to dinner the last time that they went out, the evasive answers are astonishing. Just tell me you went to LottaBurger, ain't no shame in that, they have good burgers (once you pay for all the extras, something that irritates the shit out of me. I order a burger, I want bacon and cheese on it and I don't want to undergo an interrogation about the extra cost, I'm sixty years old and neither retarded nor blind, I can read a fucking menu, thank you very much. If I ask you to gouge me a couple of extra bucks for the proper condiments that's because I want the proper condiments and intend to pay for them.)

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

My client just called me a gangster.  

I'm pretty sure that's a compliment when spoken to one's attorney.  It probably would be if coming from me.

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 1

While surfing the internet this morning, I discovered that Public Enemy performed at a Bernie Sanders rally (and fired Flavor Flav when he tried to stop the performance).

I... uh... yeah.  I mean.... just.... stuff.  

I don't know how to process this information in a way that makes logical sense.

This is all I got.

Image result for mind blown gif jon stewart

Gotta love getting political calls 15 minutes after you get your kid to sleep.  Especially when it's for a guy you wouldn't vote for if they held a gun to your head.  Fortunately it was a real person on the other end, so I got to tell them to go fuck themselves before hanging up.

11 hours ago, Robert C said:

Gotta love getting political calls 15 minutes after you get your kid to sleep.  Especially when it's for a guy you wouldn't vote for if they held a gun to your head.  Fortunately it was a real person on the other end, so I got to tell them to go fuck themselves before hanging up.

Not to get too political, but on Saturday, the day of the primary here in South Carolina, one of the campaigns called my Mom no less than 8 times. At one point it was every 20 minutes. She was Unamused. 

If you want to dispose of a lot of liquid fabric softener, pour it down a sink, and get used to it smelling like lilac bullshit whatever for a few days. 

What you *don't* do is pour it into your tub, unless you want your shower to be a Slip & Slide.

OTOH, if you're looking for ways to off a few octogenarian relatives, then, hey, highly recommended, 4.5/5 stars. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Got hired as a cashier at Safeway just so I actually have something to do during this damnable shelter in place.

Money isn't enough to cover rent or car payments, but at least I can afford groceries now.

Safeway is but one small piece of an absolutely fucking HUGE company now after their acquisition by Albertson's a few years ago. Try to finagle your way into their corporate infrastructure if they have any production houses or distros near you. Lots of brands in the chain now, and a pretty decent chunk of their own production houses. Milk, ice cream, juice, bottled water. Better money, steadier schedules and more than likely representation by a labor org with some teeth.

Here's a link to jobs available within the corporation you now work for. Poke around, maybe you find something more worth your time than cashiering:

https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1208301&d=External&rb=INDEED#/

EDIT - "More worth your time than cashiering" sounds like I'm being cunty. That is not my intent, I only mean something that more greatly compensates you for the time you spend doing it.

Edited by grilledcheese
I felt like I was being shitty with my choice of phrasing.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw pics on social media of a drive-through strip club (they also started offering takeout so they could stay open).  Lol.  That... is probably the un-sexiest thing I can think of right now.

It kinda reminds me of a bachelor's party I went to.  Power went out while we we in the club so a couple of the strippers grabbed flashlights and an old boom box and tried to continue.  They had one cassette - the soundtrack to Top Gun.

It gets better (worse?).  We found out later that there was a major-league drug deal going on downstairs when the power cut out.  So the bouncers did what any sensible employee working for a reputable business would do in this situation: they barricaded the doors and refused to let us leave until the power came back on (it was off four about four hours).

It's weird, a month ago I was super paranoid about getting COVID-19 and would freak out when somebody would walk past me on the bus, or a person at Walmart stood closer than six feet from me, but over the last 30 days I've become completely desensitized and I no longer worry about it.

I'm pretty sure I already had COVID-19 back in February, as I had the flu back in December, and then I had two days of nausea, dry throat, and uncontrollable diarrhea (sorry for being graphic) on February 3rd/4th.  Given the fact that I deal with 150-200 customers a day, it's hard to fathom that I haven't been exposed to COVID-19 since then.  At the very least, I was an asymptomatic carrier last month.

The University of Washington is offering antibody tests to anybody who wants it, I'm just going to have to find a doctor to order it.  Hopefully, I'll be able to do that on my day off on Monday.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:26 PM, grilledcheese said:

Safeway is but one small piece of an absolutely fucking HUGE company now after their acquisition by Albertson's a few years ago. Try to finagle your way into their corporate infrastructure if they have any production houses or distros near you. Lots of brands in the chain now, and a pretty decent chunk of their own production houses. Milk, ice cream, juice, bottled water. Better money, steadier schedules and more than likely representation by a labor org with some teeth.

Here's a link to jobs available within the corporation you now work for. Poke around, maybe you find something more worth your time than cashiering:

https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1208301&d=External&rb=INDEED#/

EDIT - "More worth your time than cashiering" sounds like I'm being cunty. That is not my intent, I only mean something that more greatly compensates you for the time you spend doing it.

I've already had a few run-ins with the Safeway union since my hiring, giving crap to our store rep b/c she's been trying to stop management from firing a cart pusher who's chronically late.  That's one thing I hate about not living in a Right To Work state, you're forced to join a union if the company is a "closed shop," and then you have to deal with all the bullshit that comes with them.  

And besides, I like being a teacher too much to go into management with a retail company.  

• Like 1