DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

11 hours ago, Robert C said:

Nothing gets your day off to the right start like a phone call from lawyers trying to serve you with papers in a civil suit that you know nothing about. 

Fortunately after 15 minutes and two different people it became apparent that they had the wrong guy.   They didn't seem surprised by that, so I guess they're having trouble finding the asshole and wound up identifying me instead.  

I had Bailiffs knocking on the door of my old flat, because a previous tenant had not paid a £35 pound parking fine. Somehow that debt had been sold to a debt reclamation company, who were then adding the cost of tracking him down to the debt. So by the time they showed up at my door, they were looking to be paid £650 odd quid.And when I told them he didn't live there any more and hadn't left a forwarding address, they were super happy about that, because they could add even more to his bill. Hell, just them answering the phone to me probably cost him another tenner.

• 5 weeks later...

So there are these e-learning courses we're supposed to do at work. Started Food Hygiene level 2, it said this course will take 60 minutes. Started at 5pm. Finished it at 8:25pm. Bloody annoying. But at least I know the difference between Detergents, Disinfectants and Sanitisers.

• Haha 4

What's worse, having to watch a five minute video about how to wash your hands, having to watch a five minute video about how to wash your hands and then take a test on it to make sure you were paying attention... or having to watch a five minute video on how to wash your hands twice because the computer crashed after playing it the first time?

D) All of the Above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/15/2019 at 12:45 PM, Gonzo said:

We were stationed over in Germany from 2014 to 2017, but the people that lived in the house we rented before us had their satellite TV set up so it picked up British channels (Sky, ITV, BBC, and so forth).

British politics is so much more fun to watch than the American version for the reasons that you've just described. People openly yelling at each other, cheers and boos from the gallery, that sort of thing. It really is insane.

And here I was thinking that British politics hadn't been any fun since Lord Sutch offed himself...

So, like 8-9 years ago I started a youtube channel because I was posting movie reviews on Movie Feast and wanted to include embedded clips from some samurai movies I was watching. I haven't uploaded anything since.

Anyway, last two-three weeks I keep getting notifications of new subscribers. Like, lots. I go and check out my channel, and I've got 200+ subscribers and a couple of the clips have 67k+ views. Weirdness.

So, is there anyway to tell where the new subscribers are coming from? Someone must have linked to one of the videos recently.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If I had known there would be so much paperwork for the legal aspects of transition... I'd definitely still do it but I would've tried to prepare a little better. Yikesaroni there's so much to fill out.

12 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

C'mon now, you've seen Jupiter Rising, you knew what was coming ?

I must've missed the binder of paperwork scene. Was that in an extended cut?

I did the Allergen advice course. It's really not relevant to the job (I do no food preparation whatsoever) and I don't know why it was even on the list, but fuck it, worth a try, right? So I paid no attention whatsoever and just skipped pages until I could do the final test. Passing grade was 70%.

I got 95%. Easy.

• Like 3

And the last course is done. First aid. Some of the wrong answers were brilliant. If you suspect someone is having a stroke, should you A) Write a letter to their next of kin, B) Make a cup of tea for when they're feeling better, C) Call an Ambulance, or D) Close all Doors and Windows?

These 70% passing grades are a piece of piss. There's one responsible retailing of alcohol one that has a 100% pass grade. And if you get 95% or less, you have to wait a whole hour before you can try it again. And there's no course, so some of the questions are out of the blue. What is the fixed penalty for a driver allowing someone to smoke in a car that also contains a child? How the fuck should I know? There wasn't a course. I googled it. It's £50 for the driver and £50 for the smoker. Or £100 if the driver is the smoker.

I'm the only person at work who's passed that one. Took three attempts. 

My department had to do a mandatory test on some new Google software that my department would use like 20% of, giving us the choice to either spend 12+ hours studying courses we would never use or get in multiple choice guessing hell, where failing meant you couldn't retake the test for 24 hours.

I found an answer key for 5 euros online, and sent the .pdf to coworkers I liked.

• 4 weeks later...

I've basically been without internet service at home for TWO WEEKS because I finally broke down and bought a new modem after 4-5 months of intermittent connectivity issues that they blamed on my old modem.  I've had three truck rolls scheduled, but the first two were cancelled day-of because the problem was "fixed"

19 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Changing your own headlight bulbs because it looks easy on Youtube turns out to be a relatively bad idea (somehow more difficult than changing the front brakes, wtf).  Ow.

I've never had difficulty with it EXCEPT for the one car I had where you had to REMOVE THE WHOLE BATTERY to change the bulb because it was in the way.

In my case, it was that the whole headlight had a large steel piece holding the assembly in place, and it meant I had far less hand/finger space than I expected.  Video might have been on an older model that had a smaller support for the headlights, I don't know.  And the cables had no give.  But it's done - maybe I'll go another 17 years before doing that again.

Had to give a training at work.  That's not uncommon, but this one was recorded.  That was a first for me, and makes me vaguely uncomfortable.  On the off chance that "guy with hillbilly accent describes on chip memory test methodology for servers" ever becomes a viral thing, it wasn't my idea to record it.

I'd just like to point out that, perhaps, botanists are a bunch of perverts.  At least, the ones who managed to name things (and for some stupid reason, we still use the names).

It's cherry blossom season, and one of the first stages is called "peduncle elongation".  I think most of us would hear that and associate it with something very different, as in, "Don't let your kid sit on Larry's lap."

The current stage is called the "puffy white" stage.  Really?!?!?  What's the last stage called, Decades of Therapy?

On the plus side, at least none of them were called Bullymongs.  We know how that ends.

• Haha 4

Today is the Transgender Day of Visibility, and I wish to report that I remain opaque and indeed quite visible when within line of sight.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever start a metal band called Crepitus? Because not only is it a metal sounding word, it means 'the sound of broken bones grinding against each other'. Which is about as metal as metal can be.