DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

The funniest/saddest thing about Black Friday are the YouTube videos of people fighting over discounted toasters they don't need and wouldn't likely even bother buying previously.

Out of nowhere, but see the expression Reaching for the Brass Ring"? That had to refer to an actual brass ring that people were literally reaching for at some point, right? What's the context there? Why use brass when there are both stronger metals, and more precious, more prestigious metals available?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Edwin said:

The funniest/saddest thing about Black Friday are the YouTube videos of people fighting over discounted toasters they don't need and wouldn't likely even bother buying previously.

Is that a big city thing? I went out on Black Friday a few times and beyond some long lines, it seemed like any other day. Just more crowded. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Is that a big city thing? I went out on Black Friday a few times and beyond some long lines, it seemed like any other day. Just more crowded. 

The only "action" I've ever seen was someone trying to line cut, and people already in line started yelling, which caused the cop that on duty to step in and tell the dude to get to the back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I'm feeling a little like Clark Grizwold this weekend. I just hung up the Christmas lights on the front of the house. But, only three strands going horizontal, not 250 going vertical. And, because the tree selection at Lowes is shit. We paid ten bucks for a permit from the city, and tomorrow we're cutting down our own christmas tree.

• Like 1

The cutting down our own tree experience didn't pan out. We drove a good 75 miles to the Lincoln National Forest. No cell reception, no car radio reception. We saw about five trees that would make good Christmas trees....in three years or so when they can grow more.  We were following my in-laws, and I couldn't stop myself anymore and asked my mother in law if Christmas tree lots weren't created so that people didn't have to drive to the middle of nowhere and waste a whole Sunday.

My father in law is trying again tomorrow. He' going up to Cloudcroft, NM with a friend of his from work. If that doesn't pan out, then it looks like it's Lowes or Home Depot!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

We saw about five trees that would make good Christmas trees....in three years or so when they can grow more. 

What, there's a time limit now?  Don't be in such a hurry.  Honestly, I'd like to go "wild' and cut down my own tree, but I suspect that wouldn't work out.  Christmas tree farm seems like decent compromise.

Roads are icy and it's snowing this morning.  Wife suggested I work from home today.  I'm still trying to think of a good way to tell her that being home all day makes me claustrophobic under the best of circumstances, and staying home all day with her parents underfoot (holdovers from Thanksgiving) is too unpleasant to contemplate.

Still home, but planning to escape after lunch.  If the roads are bad, my backup plan is to saddle up our ginormous dog (150 lb newfie - Newfoundland) and ride him to the office. 

Even though I've been down here for over a year, I don't think I'll ever get used to how slow everything moves.

I interviewed for a position a week before Halloween. Since I never heard anything, I tried calling last week to follow up. I purposely waited a bit, since I know it involves a background check, plus the Thanksgiving holiday. I got no answer and after fifteen rings, no voicemail kicked on. So, I call the main number and get transferred to the department, where the mailbox was full. I try again this morning at about 8:30, and get a live person. He takes my number and says he'll check on things and get back to me. That was going on five hours ago.........

School is going well and I still have no idea what I am going to do with it.  Mickey Mantle once said if he knew he would live so long, he would have taken care of himself. When I was nineteen I thought I had no future. No matter what I was just trying to run the clock out. I took care of my family and friends, but I did not care if I died. Even my writing was/is a hobby to give me a creative output. Some numb nut on here thought I was doing it to make money. Yeah I am living large on that thirty eight cents I got last month. 

But now I have a support system and people who think I am worth something. So I am trying to plan a future late in the game. I have created a savings account and have a plan to put a decent amount of money away. I now have good credit, so I might be able to buy a house. I can have something tangible to leave my family one day. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, Mike Campbell said:

Even though I've been down here for over a year, I don't think I'll ever get used to how slow everything moves.

I interviewed for a position a week before Halloween. Since I never heard anything, I tried calling last week to follow up. I purposely waited a bit, since I know it involves a background check, plus the Thanksgiving holiday. I got no answer and after fifteen rings, no voicemail kicked on. So, I call the main number and get transferred to the department, where the mailbox was full. I try again this morning at about 8:30, and get a live person. He takes my number and says he'll check on things and get back to me. That was going on five hours ago.........

Boy, y'all ain't from aroun' heah, are ya? ?  

Sigh.  Got a live tree from a Christmas tree farm.  Wife drafted the kids and some friends to help her decorate it last night.  Looked great - for about five hours.  We heard a crash in the middle of the night and scampered down the stairs to find the tree laying on it's side.  Our 150-pound monster dog (a Northie) was sulking in the corner trying unsuccessfully to not look guilty, so we figure he knocked it over.

No harm done but the cleanup and redecorating has been a headache.  Not really the project I wanted to start at 4 AM on a cold Saturday morning.

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Sigh.  Got a live tree from a Christmas tree farm.  Wife drafted the kids and some friends to help her decorate it last night.  Looked great - for about five hours.  We heard a crash in the middle of the night and scampered down the stairs to find the tree laying on it's side.  Our 150-pound monster dog (a Northie) was sulking in the corner trying unsuccessfully to not look guilty, so we figure he knocked it over.

No harm done but the cleanup and redecorating has been a headache.  Not really the project I wanted to start at 4 AM on a cold Saturday morning.

We haven't had a real tree in ages, we stopped with two cats in Seattle after they discovered ornaments made a fascinating pop when they broke on the floor and the tree itself was fun to dive into. Now with 11 cats, I know a live tree is just asking for trouble and with just the two of us, there's not a whole lot of decorating going on anyway. Christmas is for kids, anyway and ours are long-since grown. We'll probably drag the decorations out the next time the grand-daughter (grand-niece in white folks terminology) comes to visit as that gives her something to do other than practice baking cakes. They are yummy, but I've lost thirty pounds and don't want to eat a bunch of cake for obvious reasons. ?

We just have a little fake tree, but I'm nervous about putting it out this year.  I have a feeling Bruce is going to find it to be Too Much Fun and I'm not sure there's anywhere in the condo we can put it that he can't get to it except for like the top of the fridge.

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

We just have a little fake tree, but I'm nervous about putting it out this year.  I have a feeling Bruce is going to find it to be Too Much Fun and I'm not sure there's anywhere in the condo we can put it that he can't get to it except for like the top of the fridge.

Our little fake tree got ripped off last year (what sort of sick bastard steals a Christmas Tree?) It's real weird because we live in a duplex that really makes our unit invisible. If you didn't know that there was a second unit you would never guess it from the street as Unit A just looks like a regular house from the front. To get to our "front" door, you have to open a gate and walk through a corridor past Unit A's back door until you come to our front door. So we had the tree sitting outside the front door and someone nabbed it. I suspect the kid next door who sometimes has been caught wandering around between our units. Sketchy little rascal... 

Anyway, the day is off to a good start, I decided to test my new speakers about an hour ago and I guarantee you I woke the neighborhood up, (hey, if the Catholics across the street can get away with that damn bell tolling every hour from 7AM to about 8PM, I can reciprocate in my own fashion), I hope to hell that they all enjoyed "Rebel Rouser" and "Raunchy". Mr. Duane Eddy is great for testing speakers, now perhaps some Link Wray... Twang, twang muthafuckers.

Didn't want to schill this in the Lucha Underground thread because it would be weird, but if you're in the NY area and listen to my Masks Mats and Mayhem podcast, cohost and good brother Byron is doing stand up in NYC this weekend.

Go to the show and tell him the only reason you came is because Casey told you to, then hit him in the genitals somehow

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing gets your day off to the right start like a phone call from lawyers trying to serve you with papers in a civil suit that you know nothing about. 

Fortunately after 15 minutes and two different people it became apparent that they had the wrong guy.   They didn't seem surprised by that, so I guess they're having trouble finding the asshole and wound up identifying me instead.  

I know we are not supposed to talk about politics here, but I am currently watching the Brexit vote in the UK parliament and I don't think I have ever seen anything as bizarre as the proceedings there. The speaker of the house is a miscast standup comedian ("The house must get calm, zen!") / town crier ("ODDAAAAAAAH!", "DIVISION", "LOCK THE DOORS"), a first round of vote is done by shouting as loud as you can and the final vote is done by walking through one of two doors (unless you want to abstain, then you have to pass both doors in succession).

8 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I know we are not supposed to talk about politics here, but I am currently watching the Brexit vote in the UK parliament and I don't think I have ever seen anything as bizarre as the proceedings there. The speaker of the house is a miscast standup comedian ("The house must get calm, zen!") / town crier ("ODDAAAAAAAH!", "DIVISION", "LOCK THE DOORS"), a first round of vote is done by shouting as loud as you can and the final vote is done by walking through one of two doors (unless you want to abstain, then you have to pass both doors in succession).

We were stationed over in Germany from 2014 to 2017, but the people that lived in the house we rented before us had their satellite TV set up so it picked up British channels (Sky, ITV, BBC, and so forth).

British politics is so much more fun to watch than the American version for the reasons that you've just described. People openly yelling at each other, cheers and boos from the gallery, that sort of thing. It really is insane.

• Like 2