DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, odessasteps said:

Check out Altered States, the early 80s movie that centers around them. 

In our lunchtime discussion of Hardest R Movies Ever Made, Altered States was near the top of the list.

Well, I'm only an hour into my shift, and I'm already thrououghly amused for the day. I got an email lecture from my supervisor, telling me that he was disapointed in my productivity from the weekend. Basically, I only did my work, and I should have also done someone else's work too. The someone else is the CEO's son. Who has always been a nice guy to me, but he's a lazy fuck. And, due to being a lazy fuck, he's gone through several different job descriptions, because he never gets anything done.

From mid Febuary to mid March, the office was insanely busy. I was expected to not only do my own work, but also help the rest of the office out any way that I could, because there was so much to do, and so few people to do it. The only person not asked to help out? The Prince! He got to work his eight hours with weekends off, while I (and everyone else) put in tons of extra time and hours to keep up with the madness.  So, now that I'm finally past all that, I'm expected to do my work *AND* do his work too.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

In our lunchtime discussion of Hardest R Movies Ever Made, Altered States was near the top of the list.

As I just discovered via adding it to my Amazon shopping cart while at work. When the "People Who Buy X Also Shop for Y" is NSFW...crikey. People shop for some weird shit. Maybe I'll stare at a few "3 Wolves" t-shirts to try to adjust downward. 

Was there some list-o-rama show on one cable network or another that featured it many moons ago? I think that was my first exposure to the film, some 15 years ago, and I always wanted to watch it, but never got around to it. Can't recall if it was a 'top 10 horror' thing or a 'top 10 weirdest movie' show, but it was something like that. Off to Google to find out...hopefully that will be a little safer. Hopefully.

• Haha 1

We're working on getting our condo ready to sell and we got preapproved for a mortgage today so I guess this might really be happening.

BRB, gonna go stress-vomit for a while thinking about taking on six figures worth of debt.

• Like 1

Had a hopefully benign mole removed from my back. That was a new experience. Never been in the hospital outside of birth and never had stitches or surgery or anything. I stay out of direct sunlight to avoid burning, so of course my back gets a bunch of moles. Thanks heredity.

Not the most comfortable feeling I've ever experienced that's for sure. At least it didn't look too bad from what I remember of it. Small, light brown, a bit weirdly shaped. I think I've had it for years. I blame Rippa.

I had a mole cut off my leg a few years back and it turned out to be nothing. They will do it a lot for precautionary reasons "well yep, that sure looks like a shitty mole let's get rid of it". I think some of my friends were more worried about it potentially being something worse than I was.

Ah, Spring has sprung; the tally for the weekend thus far is:

Seven: two birds, both stashed outside somewhere, which is just fine by me.

Waldo: one bird cleverly brought in through the living room window, the better to present to us while we were having lunch. Waldo seemed a bit offended that we didn't want any sparrow to go with our fish n' chips, but he'll get over it.

Varys: first lizard of the year. Kind of amazing because skinks are so fast. But you know what's faster? Yeah, a cat

I'm sure that the rest of the team will start racking up the body count (with the exception of Jorkens, who at 15 can't be bothered with such stuff and Sandor & Tyrion, both of whom seem to be gentle cats like the late, lamented Dr. Nikola who in his nearly sixteen years never harmed another living creature, just no hunting instinct at all). Conversely, his "brother", Capt. Nemo would put on seminars for the little cats. He'd literally go catch something and then gather the kittens around while he'd throw the unfortunate bid or lizard up in the air and then pounce on it, showing the best way to stun the creature before delivering the death-bite.

• Like 3

I made the mistake of sending my wife to buy cat food this weekend on a day they were doing an adoption event and, long story short, now we're going to look at a cat to adopt tonight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I made the mistake of sending my wife to buy cat food this weekend on a day they were doing an adoption event and, long story short, now we're going to look at a cat to adopt tonight.

We met Bruce the kitty last night and he immediately climbed into my lap.  I'm in love and wish I could have taken him home immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Contentious C said:

If you're wondering why sock math (1 sock + 1 sock + 1 dryer = 1 sock) works, it's because the universe is balancing it out with cat math. 

Wow. I've lost socks in the laundry before, but I've never had the dryer disappear too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

We met Bruce the kitty last night and he immediately climbed into my lap.  I'm in love and wish I could have taken him home immediately.

Cats are wonderful. Ten seems just about right. 

8 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Cats are wonderful. Ten seems just about right. 

Turns out there was a miscommunication and he's only two, not ten.  But he's so laid back and loving that he feels like an older cat.  Hopefully he gets along with our two incumbent cats.

48 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Turns out there was a miscommunication and he's only two, not ten.  But he's so laid back and loving that he feels like an older cat.  Hopefully he gets along with our two incumbent cats.

Sounds like our Sandor, he's barely a year but acts like an older cat. He doesn't care much for going outside, he likes sitting in the doorway so he gets best of both worlds, I guess. Can't be bothered to hunt anything, though he will chase the occasional lizard that gets in the house or gets away from the other cats, but mostly just lies around and purrs, the most affectionate cat we've ever had.

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Doh, I should know enough about OSJ's cat-keeping to pick up on that.

Obligatory picture:

?bust=1524126879

I WANNA PET HIM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!

• Like 1

We just got a cat too. 3 year old female. We told our 4 year old he can name her so he came up with a list of names. Rosie, Stick, Nick, House, Ben and Jackson (the names of his two best friends at school) and Girly Max (his name is Max).

So we are leaning toward Rosie. 

Bruce finally got to come home last night.  We have him sequestered in the bedroom and it took him all of 3 minutes to get comfortable and flop down in my lap, so I guess he's going to fit right in. 

He seems excited to get out of the bedroom and meet the other cats so we might try some preliminary introductions tonight.

I did my evil deed for the day.  Got out early and voted.  The (primary) senate campaign in our state has been terrible.  Not the most negative race I can recall, but the most pandering.  If we hadn't gone to a debate among the three Senate candidates, the only thing I would know about them is they all like Trump and guns.  They mention both every few sentences in their ads.

I dunno.  I feel like pandering to NRA supporters in 2018 is kinda tone-deaf.  I guess it's what works in a primary in this state, but I dunno how far that will go in a general election.  One dude did a commercial dressed in a hunting vest and holding a rifle.  Subtle.  Another commercial implied that one of the candidates was a crooked politician because he didn't know how to hold his rifle correctly.  Ugh  Though I guess pandering to the NRA is a step up from pandering to coal miners either out of work or worried about their jobs.  Progress!

Sigh.  I usually believe in the system, but none of these politicians have earned my support.  I voted for the candidate that seems the least likely to win in a general election over an entrenched incumbent.  So, yeah, I voted for an ex-con coal baron who seems to have negative charisma and probably is unqualified.  Lol, my satisfaction rating is kinda low this morning.

I admit I was swayed by President Trump tweeting yesterday and asking us not to vote for candidate A because he's unqualified, but vote for B or C instead.  Kettle, meet pot.   So, yeah, I voted for Candidate A.  Probably not what the President  was hoping for when he tweeted. 

I should point out that i'm a registered Republican who has voted mostly Democrat in general elections over the past 10-12 years.  I'm feeling rather disenfranchised from the Repub party right now.  Also, if voting for the dude who is probably least qualified turns out badly, well, wife and I are moving abroad later this year.