DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

I'm going over the copy edits to my manuscript. That's good, because it means the book will be published this year. It's bad, though, because the work is onerous.

Man, I have a terrible that/which problem. And I'm a goddamn English professor..

• Haha 1

Do you read Language Log? The actual linguists who post there regularly have scathing words for overzealous copy editors with mistaken ideas about when "which" and "that" are appropriate. (English does have rules about that, they're just not what the zealots think they are.)

there's a handful of grammar mistakes that aggravate me. most of the there/their/they're stuff i just roll my eyes at.

"should of" instead of "should have". not that damn hard.

using "borrow" instead of "lend". i don't know how common this is, but a buddy of mine is always saying stuff like "can you borrow me $10" or whatever. i can't stand it.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, Technico Support said:

Much to the delight of my Latino coworkers, I keep misspelling "Oracle" as "Orale." 

You're okay if you follow it up with "Arriba la raza," from my limited understanding of these things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

using "borrow" instead of "lend". i don't know how common this is, but a buddy of mine is always saying stuff like "can you borrow me $10" or whatever. i can't stand it.

Holy shit, my ears hurt just reading that.

Ever since I learned the difference between "less" and "fewer," it grates on me to hear them used incorrectly. 

21 hours ago, twiztor said:

there's a handful of grammar mistakes that aggravate me. most of the there/their/they're stuff i just roll my eyes at.

"should of" instead of "should have". not that damn hard.

It drives me nuts when people say “Itch my back” when they want their back scratched.

Came up at work that a couple of us might get the chance to meet the president.  Co-workers were aghast when i said I wouldn't be too interested in meeting any president.  I guess it's just me?  I believe in respecting the office and all, but I don't have any real desire to take time out of my day to meet any president, regardless of political party.

There are presidents who served before I was born in 1968 that I'd like to meet.  But I suspect actually meeting FDR or Lincoln would be a disappointment.  I'm not sure the man would (could) live up to the legend and I don't really have a need to lose mty .  Of the presidents who served in my lifetime:

Lyndon Johnson - no opinion. Doesn't strike me as being interesting.

Nixon - Lol.  No.

Ford - Seemed an ok guy.  Pass.

Carter  - Probably a good person.  Not my idea of a great president.  I feel like I should want to meet Carter, but probably wouldn't care either way.

Reagan - Nope.  Except maybe to see how sharp his mind was and try to gauge whether or not the stories about him are true.

George Bush 1 - Probably not.

Clinton - Nah.  Actually liked him as a policymaker, though.

George Bush II - Only if he wants to talk about the Rangers.

Obama - maybe?  Didn't think he did a great job as POTUS, but liked his vision and regard him as an honorable man.

Trump - will wrestle zombie crocodiles to get out of an invite,

I dunno.  People in the office think this is a weird attitude.  To be clear, I probably wouldn't turn down a public invite from a potus and cause a media controversy which would embarrass both me and the president.  I just can't think of any reason why I'd like to meet a president.  I have the same attitude towards musicians, actors, athletes, etc.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Your opinions about meeting presidents are whatever but LBJ was one of the all-time great crazy people and would be fascinating to meet, even though there's like a 70% chance he would show you his hog.

I would meet any president presented to me so I could either have a conversation with them (LBJ, Carter, Obama) or yell at them (the field).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me: Hey President Johnson, can you sign my copy of Master of the Senate? It's a book that was written after you died, don't worry about it. It's flattering, you're a complex political genius, yada yada. Did Eartha Kittt really make Ladybird cry? Yes, that is your hog. Oh, while I've got you, did you kill Kennedy, bro? 

And then I'm out. 

• Like 1

Wow, I had somehow never read the Eartha Kitt/Lady Bird story.  Eartha kicked so much ass.

My great-grandpa was a fairly big player in the Texas Democratic party when LBJ was coming so there are a lot of family stories about him coming over to the house and being way-too-friendly with my then-teenaged grandma and her sister.

My family has a long, proud tradition on being on the ass end of historical moments.

-We have an ancestor that signed the declaration of independence. they were shot and left in a ditch.
-odds are super super good the money'd side of my family owned slaves.
-My great grandfather was a shepherd in the sheep and cattle wars.
-the less money'd side moved to Oklahoma just in time for the dust bowl.

So with all that in mind, my cousin moved to China last year, and, well, there's that family timing again.

On 2/27/2018 at 7:47 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Came up at work that a couple of us might get the chance to meet the president.  Co-workers were aghast when i said I wouldn't be too interested in meeting any president.  I guess it's just me?  I believe in respecting the office and all, but I don't have any real desire to take time out of my day to meet any president, regardless of political party.

There are presidents who served before I was born in 1968 that I'd like to meet.  But I suspect actually meeting FDR or Lincoln would be a disappointment.  I'm not sure the man would (could) live up to the legend and I don't really have a need to lose mty .  Of the presidents who served in my lifetime:

Nixon - Lol.  No.

Ford - Seemed an ok guy.  Pass.

Carter  - Probably a good person.  Not my idea of a great president.  I feel like I should want to meet Carter, but probably wouldn't care either way.

Reagan - Nope.  Except maybe to see how sharp his mind was and try to gauge whether or not the stories about him are true.

George Bush 1 - Probably not.

Clinton - Nah.  Actually liked him as a policymaker, though.

George Bush II - Only if he wants to talk about the Rangers.

Obama - maybe?  Didn't think he did a great job as POTUS, but liked his vision and regard him as an honorable man.

Trump - will wrestle zombie crocodiles to get out of an invite,

I dunno.  People in the office think this is a weird attitude.  To be clear, I probably wouldn't turn down a public invite from a potus and cause a media controversy which would embarrass both me and the president.  I just can't think of any reason why I'd like to meet a president.  I have the same attitude towards musicians, actors, athletes, etc.  

Okay, I'll play...

Eisenhower - Can't imagine a less interesting person to meet.

Kennedy - Well, duh! I am Irish after all.

LBJ - Nasty-ass redneck, no thanks.

Nixon - Wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

Ford - See Eisenhower.

Carter - Terrible POTUS, but a great man post-POTUS, still wouldn't care about meeting him.

Reagan - No thank you.

Bush #1 - Read my lips: not interested.

Clinton - Greatest POTUS of my lifetime, not particularly interested in meeting him though.

Bush #2 - Might as well talk to a houseplant.

Obama - *Sighs* if only he'd had some degree of cooperation across the aisle, we'd be talking about a top-5 all-time. Yes, I'd be delighted to meet him, seems like a genuinely cool guy as well as brilliant. I still have to wonder how things would have gone had the ticket been reversed, with it being Biden/Obama; seems like that might have been true greatness and setting up VP Obama as successor... Now, see Joe Biden is someone I'd like to meet, it's really impossible to not like the guy and his knowledge of foreign policy is just astounding. Even the foreign leaders who hate us respect him.

Trump - Nixon to the nth power.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OSJ said:

Obama - *Sighs* if only he'd had some degree of cooperation across the aisle, we'd be talking about a top-5 all-time. Yes, I'd be delighted to meet him, seems like a genuinely cool guy as well as brilliant. I still have to wonder how things would have gone had the ticket been reversed, with it being Biden/Obama; seems like that might have been true greatness and setting up VP Obama as successor... Now, see Joe Biden is someone I'd like to meet, it's really impossible to not like the guy and his knowledge of foreign policy is just astounding. Even the foreign leaders who hate us respect him.

Biden seems like an interesting guy to meet, but due to his creepy vibes I wouldn't let my wife or any female I know near him.  And sadly there's plenty of video evidence to support that.  But I'd like to share a smoke with Obama, politics aside he seems like a pretty cool guy.

That would be a very oddly shaped hat. 

So I let three relatives stay for a month. My cousin his wife and sister/daughter. My cousin and the kid were okay even though this is  very small place. The woman was the worst guest I have ever had. I can't even get into it all. But I got maybe fifty dollars out of it and lost all the mental/spiritual progress I had made. Then while under stress, I admitted I was in love with a close friend and while she is a great person, I know I lost a friend being honest. 

Then I found out my old laptop and sisters dvd player were stolen. Filing a police report but really would like to break all their skulls. 

Was just reading an article about a teacher in Florida who was fired for hosting a white supremacist podcast.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/teacher-removed-from-classroom-after-report-she-hosts-a-white-supremacist-podcast/ar-BBJTDZd?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

She used a different (fake) name on the podcast, which is probably how she was able to keep her job until the Huffington Post outed her.

I'm debating what I'm more appalled by - her white power racism - or the fact that she's quoted as saying "Children is important."  Ugh.  Hope she wasn't teaching grammar.