DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

44 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Every time I put money aside for another tattoo these days, my kids need new clothes or braces or something. I laugh when homeless dudes are covered in tattoos (and good ones, not shitty homemade and/or prison tats), and asking me for money. Priorities, fella.

Indeed. While I'll drop $100 (or more) on a book that I want without hesitation, our monthly tab on cat food and litter runs to around $200 (the cats eat better than we do). Most months I can keep the book expenditures down around $300, and most months what I sell on eBay balances that out. Yeah, I could afford some tats, but at my age, what's the point? I don't really go much of anywhere and the wife is apparently happy with the view as it is. More money for books!

Getting a tattoo has not once entered my mind.  I'm not against them, mind you.  If someone wants one and it's well-designed, I can fully appreciate it.  But it's one of those things some say should be a bucket list item for everyone, but no.  I don't subscribe to that. And I've seen too many bad ones to think they're some grand expression.  Some certainly are.  But for every masterpiece, there are 100 continuing education projects that would be given to the nearest thrift store if the person didn't have to cut a swath of skin to do so.

I don't see myself getting a tattoo.  I've thought of getting some cool shit based off of either wrestling or music, but there's the worry I'll have buyer's remorse in the future.  My wife's more likely to get one and she's going the super meaningful route (a design in tribute to her late father)  Finding the time and money to do it have been reasons why she hasn't gone through with it yet but the plan's definitely there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm unfortunately going to turn this topic into negative mode, since the older threads are locked. Please do not mock me. 

I am hitting a very critical moment in my life, and am seriously contemplating doing the rehab or AA thing. I'm not looking for a Jesus type deal, as I'm not into that, no offense to anyone, but I've never been the religious type. I need to clean myself up, but, as I've read, cold turkey seems pretty dangerous if your drinking is serious. Which mine is. 

You don't have to post your experience directly and can choose to PM me, if you want, I'd really appreciate it. I'd just like to know what the average meeting or stay entails. Things aren't well, and quite frankly, I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks for your time. 

To all the marks out there spending your work day to watch the eclipse, make sure you have those glasses.  Watching wrestling blind probably sucks.  but if you are an idiot that watches it without glasses, make you are at work so you can sue your boss for not providing proper safety ;)

52 minutes ago, hammerva said:

To all the marks out there spending your work day to watch the eclipse, make sure you have those glasses.  Watching wrestling blind probably sucks.  but if you are an idiot that watches it without glasses, make you are at work so you can sue your boss for not providing proper safety ;)

On the positive side, the WWE will get a whole new crop of referees out of this. 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:37 AM, PetrolCB said:

I'm unfortunately going to turn this topic into negative mode, since the older threads are locked. Please do not mock me. 

I am hitting a very critical moment in my life, and am seriously contemplating doing the rehab or AA thing. I'm not looking for a Jesus type deal, as I'm not into that, no offense to anyone, but I've never been the religious type. I need to clean myself up, but, as I've read, cold turkey seems pretty dangerous if your drinking is serious. Which mine is. 

You don't have to post your experience directly and can choose to PM me, if you want, I'd really appreciate it. I'd just like to know what the average meeting or stay entails. Things aren't well, and quite frankly, I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks for your time. 

As corny as it may sound, your admission that you have a problem is 90% of the solution. 

You are not at the end of your rope; you are at the beginning of your recovery.

Alcoholism is a disease so IMO, you really should seek out a rehab center with a proper detox program in addition to AA, as being in a support group and knowing you're not one dealing with what you're gong through is a big help.  I'm rather dubious of what effect a support group like AA can do on its own.

The only thing I can recommend is to start researching treatment facilities and see how they fit with your budget if your insurance does not cover treatment.  Also, if you are employed or are a student at a university, there may also be some resources that can be made available to you.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So I work in an outlet mall. A lot of the workforce in the stores here is young people. My store has been hiring, and here are just some of the prize winners that have come in the past few weeks (all probably 21 or younger):

Hipster looking motherfucker carrying his giant skateboard around with him

Kid whose dad literally did ALL the talking for him

Girl who smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke that it was stinging my eyes

Guy who applied online, was called for an interview and showed up WEARING SWEATPANTS

Girl who came in wearing a tshirt that had a giant pot leaf logo on the front. 

Same hipster looking skateboard carrying motherfucker from before, over a week later asking for another application because he lost the first one. 

and last but certainly not least... the kid with the unkept looking beard who upon receiving his application immediately asked if we drug test (we don't). I told him we did. Haven't seen him since. 

I'm officially an old man now because young people piss me off. 

13 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

So I work in an outlet mall. A lot of the workforce in the stores here is young people. My store has been hiring, and here are just some of the prize winners that have come in the past few weeks (all probably 21 or younger):

Hipster looking motherfucker carrying his giant skateboard around with him

Kid whose dad literally did ALL the talking for him

Girl who smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke that it was stinging my eyes

Guy who applied online, was called for an interview and showed up WEARING SWEATPANTS

Girl who came in wearing a tshirt that had a giant pot leaf logo on the front. 

Same hipster looking skateboard carrying motherfucker from before, over a week later asking for another application because he lost the first one. 

and last but certainly not least... the kid with the unkept looking beard who upon receiving his application immediately asked if we drug test (we don't). I told him we did. Haven't seen him since. 

I'm officially an old man now because young people piss me off. 

One of my guys is leaving my company in a few months and I'm dreading the fuck out of the hiring process.  I'm sincerely hoping this crazyness is limited to the retail sector but I have  a sneaking suspicion it isn't.

On 17/06/2017 at 3:09 AM, Cristobal said:

Got a new tattoo today. Chest tattoos are definitely ouchier than arm and shoulder tattoos.

Chest tattoos are sucky to get done. I have a tiger and a panther on my chest and both got a bit ouchy towards the end, particularly closer to the nipple area.

I just added to my wrestling arm today, I got a Dragon which given my user name should be fairly self explanatory, it goes alongside my Cero Miedo wrestling ring tattoo and Ultra Mantis logo.  They are not wholly obvious as wrestling which is pretty good.

• Like 1

While I was birding today, I found out I missed an ole timy baseball game in the park.  That always brings me back to this....

FWIW, I only saw the players post game doing "Huzzahs", I didn't see anyone on the sidelines in character.

• Thanks 1

So I went to the rheumatologist the other morning (like at 6:30 in the morning) because my hands have gotten so bad. I can't even make a fist anymore that's how bad it is when it comes to trying to close them. The Doctor wants to send me to a neurologist for carpal tunnel testing cause I show signs of that, but I also have no strength or grip what so ever. Has anyone ever gone through this carpal tunnel testing stuff. Is surgery the only option in the end?

I would like to avoid surgery, but it would be nice if i could fully close my hands again too. I got prescribed some anti-inflammatory but it hasn't done much yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Could be worse, could have been the $200 ones that were ran over.  I'm weird with earbuds since they were notorious for always falling out of my ears.  With the right style it's doable now and the most I'd pay is $15.  I normally go to Five Below for aux cables so I can play podcasts in the car.  Cheap and they tend to crap out after a few months, but it gets the job done.

My worse case with something like this was I was walking to work at 5 AM a year and a half ago. I ran across a street, and my ipod fell out of my pocket. I realized what happened, and got ready to make a run across the street again to pick it back up. Only one car was passing so, you know, what are the odds it gets ran over? Well, in retrospect. The odds were 100%

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, El Dragon said:

My worse case with something like this was I was walking to work at 5 AM a year and a half ago. I ran across a street, and my ipod fell out of my pocket. I realized what happened, and got ready to make a run across the street again to pick it back up. Only one car was passing so, you know, what are the odds it gets ran over? Well, in retrospect. The odds were 100%

I had the opposite - set my phone on car's hood and then forgot it was there. Drove home, realized it was gone. Went looking for it, no dice. Total elapsed time: not even 15 minutes. I call the phone and somebody had picked it up. I go get it - not a single scratch despite bouncing down the street. I'm not usually that lucky.