DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

be something she could avoid. Except she really didn't see it. Unlike EVERY other place that paints those concrete posts bright yellow, this was painted a dark brownish green, which is the same color as the building.

You may want to lawyer up and get Starbuck's to pay for repairs.  I'm assuming the color of those posts is mandated by law.

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Our 2012 Chevy Volt that we just bought in December and was in pristine condition is now kinda messed up. Even though my gf was driving, I want to blame Starbucks.

She never goes to Starbucks, but she wanted coffee before work so she thought she'd go through the drive thru. The drive thru is weird because the shop is in the middle of a parking lot. So you place your order on one side of the building, and then because it's so tight, you make a nearly 90 degree turn around to the next side of the building and then one more 90 degree turn after that to the other side of the building where the window is. So my gf makes her turn to the next side of the building and hits one of those concrete posts that are usually installed next to buildings with drive thrus so you don't hit the building.

Normally, that would be something she could avoid. Except she really didn't see it. Unlike EVERY other place that paints those concrete posts bright yellow, this was painted a dark brownish green, which is the same color as the building.

So now the alignment is all fucked up, the front driver side corner panel has a good dent in it, and the bumper on the driver side is all scraped up.

The other kicker is that the manager told my gf that Starbucks needs to do an incident report and this happens more often than my gf would think. The manager also mentioned that Starbucks will sometimes cover the damages.

Now, if this happens often enough for it to occur more than ONCE, maybe, oh, I don't know, paint the post yellow like anyone else so the damn thing sticks out and doesn't blend in with the building.

I'm shocked honestly that the manager would say that, this is like Management 101 of what not to say. They must really be tired of people hitting it or the manager was having a really honest moment, as if you got a lawyer then that statement would pretty much seal Starbuck's fate of paying for the repairs.

It's not like my girlfriend recorded the conversation though, so they could just say they didn't say that. I have no reason to believe my girlfriend lied, but it would be their word against hers.

I'll say this. Steve Harvey does his job extremely well and he's a great host of things. However, when watching and listening closely, you can see his true off-air personality peek through.....and it certainly is a face-punchable personality.

Back in Feb. the dispatcher at work had to retire due to medical problems. Got word that she passed away over the weekend. She wasn't an easy person to get along with and a lot of people weren't very fond of her at all. General consensus is no matter how unlikable she was, no one wanted to see her suffer like that.

On 30 April 2017 at 8:53 AM, andrew8798 said:

Hope this the right thread

Mom told me she has stage 4 cancer .

I hope in my lifetime they find a cure for cancer

Sorry to read this. Thoughts are with you, your Mum and hope this fucker is cured.

It has finally become too much for the family to care for my 97-year old grandmother, and we're pretty much forced at this point to look at placing her in a home. The house is old, and only has one washroom upstairs, and the rest of the living areas are downstairs. She cannot do the stairs anymore, and it takes 2-3 people to get her upstairs in the evening. The only other option is to leave her in her bedroom 24/7, and that just isn't a compassionate option. 

I hate to be a part of this decision. But all the stress brought on by extra care is turning my mother into a physical and mental wreck, to the point I'm equally concerned for her well-being. She's the only grandparent I've ever known. Both my grandfathers were gone before I was even born, and my paternal grandmother died one week after my birth. I'm just so worried about this decision killing her.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:38 PM, DouglasC said:

It has finally become too much for the family to care for my 97-year old grandmother, and we're pretty much forced at this point to look at placing her in a home. The house is old, and only has one washroom upstairs, and the rest of the living areas are downstairs. She cannot do the stairs anymore, and it takes 2-3 people to get her upstairs in the evening. The only other option is to leave her in her bedroom 24/7, and that just isn't a compassionate option. 

I hate to be a part of this decision. But all the stress brought on by extra care is turning my mother into a physical and mental wreck, to the point I'm equally concerned for her well-being. She's the only grandparent I've ever known. Both my grandfathers were gone before I was even born, and my paternal grandmother died one week after my birth. I'm just so worried about this decision killing her.

We had to put my Grandfather in a home when his dementia became too advanced for us to safely care for him. Part of that decision was because we were forced to move him up and down stairs and it just wasn't safe for him or us. 

It's a tough decision but so long as it's being made with the safety and we'll being of the family in mind I'm sure you guys will do the right thing.

Pretty much the same with my grandmother, years ago.  You guys are doing your best.  Hang in there.

My great grandmother finally had to be moved to a nursing home in her late 90's. She ended up living a few months past her 100th birthday.

I have a favorite story about her. She went to the doctor and was just complaining and worried and very forceful about the fact that she she was getting tired too early and didn't have energy. Her doctor looked at her and said "Pearl, you're 92 years old, you are going to start slowing down"

I don't know what your options are, for my grandmother we got somewhat lucky that when she reached 85, she was ready to go to one of those places with a tiered system for assistance. Currently she is still on the first tier, which means she lives alone without a daily check but has weekly cleaning, everything is on the first floor, a medic on site, a room with those emergency buttons everywhere and food is delivered. But the next step is in the same building as is the final step, which is a more traditional nursing home. She was ok with it since it meant she could go at her own pace depending on her care level, and it still allowed her some freedom as mentally she is still sound.

I hope you and your family can find a solution that helps her without making her feel like she is being cast aside, I know how hard that can be as it took my grandmother a few years and a few falls before she accepted she needed some help. Its something I am dreading going through with my parents, they are only in their 60s now but I know its just a matter of time, especially with my dad who isn't that great physically.

The past 72 hours have been a nightmare. On Friday, she fell while going downstairs. Fortunately, she fell backwards to a seated position, but she couldn't be moved from that spot, about 2/3 of the way down. We needed to call an ambulance and get her moved and she went to the hospital. From there, she has moved into emergency respite at a retirement home. Saturday, she was relatively pleasant and seemed to be adjusting well. Today she's "You couldn't wait to get rid of me." and "I'm just a burden" to the point my mom was in tears and I'm truly amazed she didn't have a complete mental breakdown right there. 

I'm amazed I'm coherent now. 

4 hours ago, DouglasC said:

The past 72 hours have been a nightmare. On Friday, she fell while going downstairs. Fortunately, she fell backwards to a seated position, but she couldn't be moved from that spot, about 2/3 of the way down. We needed to call an ambulance and get her moved and she went to the hospital. From there, she has moved into emergency respite at a retirement home. Saturday, she was relatively pleasant and seemed to be adjusting well. Today she's "You couldn't wait to get rid of me." and "I'm just a burden" to the point my mom was in tears and I'm truly amazed she didn't have a complete mental breakdown right there. 

That's terrible, Doug. I'm sorry for everyone involved.

This has been the case with my (then 69 year old) mom the past few years.  It's absolutely heartbreaking and doesn't get any better.  I can't even bring myself to go back anymore.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:52 PM, DouglasC said:

So sorry for your situation, @DouglasC. Thoughts be with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Did an early shift at work because the boss asked for a favour. 3 hours sleep!

It's very odd being at work in the morning. Everyone's in a hurry but nobody's really miserable, and you get miserable people in the evening. People actually buy newspapers on mornings! There are far fewer sweaty people in gym clothes. Which is a shame, because some of them are quite nice sometimes.

Chris Cornell died. Our government is in complete chaos. It's like 90F or something outside. 

And now some apparent drunken moron has killed 1 person and injured at least 12 more, 10 blocks from my job.  

And the day's not even half over.

Thursday May 18th, 2017 can suck it. 

• Like 3

That's horrifying to find out about  the Times Square accident.  Apparently the guy smoked something and he wanted to not only kill them but wanted cops to kill him too.  What a piece of shit.  Can only hope those injured make it out okay.

On another note, just found out a friend of mine has cancer.  She's not sure what stage but is scheduled for surgery.  I'm hoping it's stage 1 and she'll be just fine after this, but you never know.  But as has been said by others here fuck cancer.