DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

(Drinking coffee as I read this and nodding knowingly)

People are amazed that I can drink coffee or energy drinks at night and still sleep.  I think I have a problem.

I've never had an energy drink in my life, but when my espresso machine was working, a bedtime latte was just the thing.

• Like 1

I love how people are bringing up the doctor's past as if that somehow makes what happened to him okay.  I don't give a shit about what he did in the past, that's still no reason for anybody to do that to him.

• Like 2

A recent United Airlines Flight was overbooked and they needed a few seats to move some crew members. They asked for volunteers to give up their seats (while offering well under the amount the law says they should) and when none did, they used their algorithm to select people.

One of those selected passengers was a doctor who patients to see that he didn't want to cancel on. When he refused to deboard, the airport police eventually came on the plane and literally beat him to a bloody mess where he appeared to be unconscious and then literally dragged him off the plane.

The media then reported on his past criminal record (which I just saw might actually not even be him but a someone else with the same name...)

• Like 1

No, it was him. The Dr Dao who was innocent can't have been disbarred from medicine in the 90s, because he'd have still been in high school at the time. The bit about how he denied the solicitation charges was funny though. It's just common courtesy to give someone a discount on their medical care if your penis accidentally just sort of falls into their mouth, it's nothing to do with prostitution.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

A recent United Airlines Flight was overbooked and they needed a few seats to move some crew members. They asked for volunteers to give up their seats (while offering well under the amount the law says they should) and when none did, they used their algorithm to select people.

One of those selected passengers was a doctor who patients to see that he didn't want to cancel on. When he refused to deboard, the airport police eventually came on the plane and literally beat him to a bloody mess where he appeared to be unconscious and then literally dragged him off the plane.

The media then reported on his past criminal record (which I just saw might actually not even be him but a someone else with the same name...)

It's important to note that the plane was not overbooked. It was at capacity but not overbooked. The airline may decided four of its people mattered more than four passengers already on the plane. 

5 hours ago, AxB said:

No, it was him. The Dr Dao who was innocent can't have been disbarred from medicine in the 90s, because he'd have still been in high school at the time. The bit about how he denied the solicitation charges was funny though. It's just common courtesy to give someone a discount on their medical care if your penis accidentally just sort of falls into their mouth, it's nothing to do with prostitution.

Fair enough. As I said, I had literally just seen someone say it might have been someone else and hadn't looked into it at all.

Not that it actually matters either way.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:32 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I love how people are bringing up the doctor's past as if that somehow makes what happened to him okay.  I don't give a shit about what he did in the past, that's still no reason for anybody to do that to him.

The same happens when a woman reports being sexually assaulted only to have her entire dating history exposed to paint her as promiscuous.  The desire to tear down someone outweighs being fair and objective.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The same happens when a woman reports being sexually assaulted only to have her entire dating history exposed to paint her as promiscuous.  The desire to tear down someone outweighs being fair and objective.

Also when a black man is shot by police.  If he's ever so much as jaywalked or smoked a joint the media will dredge it up even though it has no bearing on the shooting.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Thanks, that is incredibly fucked up regardless of his past.

On 4/11/2017 at 6:24 PM, MonteCarl said:

Flying to Atlanta, GA on April 21 with my brothers to appear on the Family Feud gameshow

Get your punching hand ready and hide some knux.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, offspring515 said:

Also when a black man is shot by police.  If he's ever so much as jaywalked or smoked a joint the media will dredge it up even though it has no bearing on the shooting.

"You kind of look like a cocaine dealer." - Anonymous White Man Ful of Anger and Loofahs to PHD holding Black Man in a hypothetical situation. Yeah, look up the clip if you want to throw a brick at the screen. I'm surprised black people aren't yelling and cursing constantly at all times in all situations. Have my biases deceived me? /End Scene

On 4/15/2017 at 6:02 PM, offspring515 said:

Or maybe has pics online "looking like a thug."  "Oh this kid posted a profile pic holding a joint and mean mugging the camera one time?  Well holy shit, I guess it's okay to shoot him dead then."

On a side note, this is why it's good to either make your Facebook profile as private as possible or, better yet, just not have an account.  When some shit happens to you and your intrepid local news team needs a headshot to go with a salacious story, the first place they'll go is social media.  I can't count the number of times I've been watching the news and a story comes up about a shooting or kidnapping or some shit, and the pic that goes along with the story is some ridiculous Glamour Shots/duckface bullshit that some PA copied from a Facebook account.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

On a side note, this is why it's good to either make your Facebook profile as private as possible or, better yet, just not have an account.  When some shit happens to you and your intrepid local news team needs a headshot to go with a salacious story, the first place they'll go is social media.  I can't count the number of times I've been watching the news and a story comes up about a shooting or kidnapping or some shit, and the pic that goes along with the story is some ridiculous Glamour Shots/duckface bullshit that some PA copied from a Facebook account.

Facebook is one of the first things law enforcement looks at too.  A friend of mine that is a district attorney has a profile she keeps specifically to check out suspects' pages.

• Like 1

I'm not on facebook (and never have been). So therefore I can get away with as many crimes as I want to commit.

I don't want to commit any.

Sometimes I suspect I died last year or am in a coma. I see so many things in both my personal life and the news that seem like an overly broad future dystopia in an 80's comic. 

So there was an amber alert in my area. Some creepy teacher ran off with a fifteen year old student. Well good news is they caught him and the girl is relatively safe. They had made it all the way to California from Tennessee, They had actually been spotted in my city, 

So I see the name of the creep and it is Tad Cummins, Tad Cummins.... How is that his real name? Is it an Otto Octavius deal where the name inspired him to be a pervert?

9 hours ago, Victator said:

Sometimes I suspect I died last year or am in a coma. I see so many things in both my personal life and the news that seem like an overly broad future dystopia in an 80's comic. 

So there was an amber alert in my area. Some creepy teacher ran off with a fifteen year old student. Well good news is they caught him and the girl is relatively safe. They had made it all the way to California from Tennessee, They had actually been spotted in my city, 

So I see the name of the creep and it is Tad Cummins, Tad Cummins.... How is that his real name? Is it an Otto Octavius deal where the name inspired him to be a pervert?

I think everyone not under a rock knows about that one. Not that it wasn't newsworthy but it feels very 2017 that it was daily national news for a month that a 15 year old willingly ran off with an adult. I'm pretty sure that used to happen on a weekly basis not too long ago and nationally no one really was concerned. Not saying what he did wasn't illegal but on the grand scheme of crimes it didn't seem worth the amount of coverage.

Our 2012 Chevy Volt that we just bought in December and was in pristine condition is now kinda messed up. Even though my gf was driving, I want to blame Starbucks.

She never goes to Starbucks, but she wanted coffee before work so she thought she'd go through the drive thru. The drive thru is weird because the shop is in the middle of a parking lot. So you place your order on one side of the building, and then because it's so tight, you make a nearly 90 degree turn around to the next side of the building and then one more 90 degree turn after that to the other side of the building where the window is. So my gf makes her turn to the next side of the building and hits one of those concrete posts that are usually installed next to buildings with drive thrus so you don't hit the building.

Normally, that would be something she could avoid. Except she really didn't see it. Unlike EVERY other place that paints those concrete posts bright yellow, this was painted a dark brownish green, which is the same color as the building.

So now the alignment is all fucked up, the front driver side corner panel has a good dent in it, and the bumper on the driver side is all scraped up.

The other kicker is that the manager told my gf that Starbucks needs to do an incident report and this happens more often than my gf would think. The manager also mentioned that Starbucks will sometimes cover the damages.

Now, if this happens often enough for it to occur more than ONCE, maybe, oh, I don't know, paint the post yellow like anyone else so the damn thing sticks out and doesn't blend in with the building.