DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Due to various things out of my control on a daily basis I won't go into due to political nature I want to punch holes in everything I see constantly. Any suggestions? Should I start building horrible sculptures and then chucking them at people?

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Due to various things out of my control on a daily basis I won't go into due to political nature I want to punch holes in everything I see constantly. Any suggestions? Should I start building horrible sculptures and then chucking them at people?

I'm told that worshiping Tabe is very calming. 

I already do that. It balances out my worshipping of Ba'al and Crom, but I need more. Perhaps Takada can come live with you for awhile and teach you high kicks.

• Like 1

Been up since 2am waiting on the new Yeezys to drop on the Adidas website. I know I'm going to catch an L on this, but whatever, I want the shoes damnit. I just started my collection this week, got a sweet pair of Puma x UEG earlier this week. If I don't get these Yeezys, I guess I'm just going to go ahead and get these Jordans I've been looking at for about 2 weeks.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Been up since 2am waiting on the new Yeezys to drop on the Adidas website. I know I'm going to catch an L on this, but whatever, I want the shoes damnit. I just started my collection this week, got a sweet pair of Puma x UEG earlier this week. If I don't get these Yeezys, I guess I'm just going to go ahead and get these Jordans I've been looking at for about 2 weeks.

You, uh, collect shoes? I find this oddly fascinating and somewhat disturbing at the same time. On one hand, you got up at a strange hour in order to attempt to buying a pair, I can easily relate to that as back in the old days of eBay (pre-sniping) I spent many a sleepless night trying to be quick enough on the keyboard to score a rare book or baseball card. Nowadays, with sniping I can just set my sniper to pop in a bid of 20% higher than anyone has sold the item for in the last couple of months and set it to fire at four seconds before the auction ends it will work 9 times out of ten. 3 seconds is often not enough time so one is really taking a chance. On the other hand, if it's something I've been chasing after for twenty years (and that's what most of my want-list consists of), I'll put the bid in for double of what the last known copy sold for... You do not bid against OSJ, I will make you humble. ;-)

But anyway, back to the shoes... Obviously the "Yeezys", whatever the fuck that may be, have a high level of desirability if you're willing to get up at strange hours to get a pair. (Wouldn't it be easier to strike up an acquaintance at the local sports-shoes store (I'm assuming that that's what these are, just as I've never heard of anyone collecting "business casual".) Yet you seem equally willing to substitute a pair of what I assume from your description are are Air Jordans (see, I'm not totally naive to the game). So this generates a multi-tiered question: Even when I owned a sportscard store, I would advise people that we were a "baseball card store" and that we also carried the lesser sports for them as what wanted them. I drew a line in the sand when it came to Magic: The Gathering... (A typical conversation on the phone went like this from my end): "No, I don't have "The Blue Ring of Shitinyerbag", nor do I wish to buy one, not today, not tomorrow, as a matter of fact, anyone bringing such an item into my store will be asked to leave; and I certainly don't want to hold tournaments here on Saturday afternoons or at any other time as that would confirm the existence of more like-minded individuals such as yourself and I've already wasted two minutes of life talking to you. The concept that I might have a conversation with four or five of your ilk nauseates me strangely." Anyway, back to the shoes... You imply that these Air Jordans are a suitable substitute for the "rare" (quotes mine), Yeezys. That said, the Jordans seem to have been readily available for two weeks and you demonstrate no concern about missing out on a pair...That's what has me puzzled. What am I missing?

Collecting sneakers is actually a very common thing now. Air Jordans come out every year as far as I know, so may not be as sought after or these are just more collectable than the new ones? Yeezys are Kanye West's shoes. Yeezy is one of his nicknames. As far as Magic goes, I never got into it, but have a ton of friends that did long ago, but stopped playing. They have cards that are probably worth hundreds if they bothered to sell them.

I never got why people would play those Magic: The Gathering card games. In a world that already had D&D and all the character-based tabletop RPGs, and Warhammer and all the tabletop wargames, why would you choose to play something that's not as interesting as either? Not to mention it's pay to win.

23 hours ago, OSJ said:

You, uh, collect shoes? I find this oddly fascinating and somewhat disturbing at the same time. On one hand, you got up at a strange hour in order to attempt to buying a pair, I can easily relate to that as back in the old days of eBay (pre-sniping) I spent many a sleepless night trying to be quick enough on the keyboard to score a rare book or baseball card. Nowadays, with sniping I can just set my sniper to pop in a bid of 20% higher than anyone has sold the item for in the last couple of months and set it to fire at four seconds before the auction ends it will work 9 times out of ten. 3 seconds is often not enough time so one is really taking a chance. On the other hand, if it's something I've been chasing after for twenty years (and that's what most of my want-list consists of), I'll put the bid in for double of what the last known copy sold for... You do not bid against OSJ, I will make you humble. ;-)

But anyway, back to the shoes... Obviously the "Yeezys", whatever the fuck that may be, have a high level of desirability if you're willing to get up at strange hours to get a pair. (Wouldn't it be easier to strike up an acquaintance at the local sports-shoes store (I'm assuming that that's what these are, just as I've never heard of anyone collecting "business casual".) Yet you seem equally willing to substitute a pair of what I assume from your description are are Air Jordans (see, I'm not totally naive to the game). So this generates a multi-tiered question: Even when I owned a sportscard store, I would advise people that we were a "baseball card store" and that we also carried the lesser sports for them as what wanted them. I drew a line in the sand when it came to Magic: The Gathering... (A typical conversation on the phone went like this from my end): "No, I don't have "The Blue Ring of Shitinyerbag", nor do I wish to buy one, not today, not tomorrow, as a matter of fact, anyone bringing such an item into my store will be asked to leave; and I certainly don't want to hold tournaments here on Saturday afternoons or at any other time as that would confirm the existence of more like-minded individuals such as yourself and I've already wasted two minutes of life talking to you. The concept that I might have a conversation with four or five of your ilk nauseates me strangely." Anyway, back to the shoes... You imply that these Air Jordans are a suitable substitute for the "rare" (quotes mine), Yeezys. That said, the Jordans seem to have been readily available for two weeks and you demonstrate no concern about missing out on a pair...That's what has me puzzled. What am I missing?

It's not an odd time of night for me to be up. I work 7pm to 6am through the week, so it's perfectly normal for me.

The Yeezy shoes are my "holy grail", the brand of shoes I really want to own but they're incredibly hard to get ahold of (and expensive, as far as sneakers go). I don't usually like Nike, much less Jordans, but the ones I wanted were low-cut, plain black and didn't have the Swoosh symbol. However, it appears they aren't available anymore, at least for the moment, so I'm likely going to just go ahead and get a pair of classic Adidas instead.

I think it's funny that you think collecting shoes is "somewhat disturbing", but then you go into a paragraph long spiel about collecting Magic cards. Yeeeeah...

He was saying collecting Magic cards is stupid though. He likes Baseball cards.

When I was in Swansea (more than two decades ago),  a few of the LARP guys I knew said they played cards on Thursdays. I assumed that by that, they meant Poker. It was a mistaken assumption. It's the only time I've seen anyone playing Magic. Couldn't make head or tail of any of it. It looked like a load of bollocks.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:44 PM, Ryan said:

I already do that. It balances out my worshipping of Ba'al and Crom, but I need more. Perhaps Takada can come live with you for awhile and teach you high kicks.

As jacked up as I am physically most days, I'd settle for Stan Lane and medium kicks. 

Trading Card Games aren't that dumb or difficult, but it is the height of nerdiness. Grown adults still play Pokemon TCG's, so this isn't anything amazing. I have played some of the modern-style board games with friends like Settlers of Catan and far more obscure stuff. That's just as geeky/nerdy as playing Magic.

So I locked my keys in my car for the first time in forever, the government security at the building I work at is unable to open locked car doors due to too many people complaining about damage they have done while opening locked car doors...also I found out I'm not good with a wire hanger trying to open my car (though to be fair it could be because it was too cold and I got tired of standing outside)

I have done that about 20 times. Thankfully, I carry a spare key in my wallet which has bailed me out every time. Of course its an older car with a stupid system, so I have to rush to hit the panic button on the actual keys dangling from my steering wheel or it won't shut the fuck up. For some reason opening the car with the keys for it if it's locked manually sets it off. Can't disable it.