DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

More than the pronunciation, I'm curious how hearth comes up in your work conversations.  Don't know that I've ever heard it spoken.

At my company, it's the generic term for products like stoves, fireplaces, and the vent pipe used with such.

I'm afraid the general "western U.S." accent disagrees with you, it rhymes with worth. . .

Has nothing to do with accent and everything to do with people simply not knowing how to pronounce it.
  • Like 1

If there's any doubt on how to pronounce an English word, probably best to ask an Englishman, no?

It's pronounced Harth. End of discussion. Pronoucing it Herth, that's just a guy with a lisp discussing funeral cars.

• Like 2

If there's any doubt on how to pronounce an English word, probably best to ask an Englishman, no?

Well, not always.  There's "aluminum".

The American pronunciation is the same as the American spelling. Which are both wrong. It's Aluminium.

I couldn't find an app thread in the gaming folder, so I thought here would be the next best place, but has anyone downloaded 'somebody' yet? I think the whole idea is really cool, and I plan on making my tomorrow about going around and finishing off a bunch of floating messages.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the gym for the first time in years this afternoon. I've already dropped a bunch of weight with diet and exercise at home so i figured I'd add a couple of gym days to my routine.

Yeah, that was humbling...

I'm going to hurt tomorrow...

As a guy who pays very close attention to speech and voice (radio dj and voice over guy) I had to analyze my own regional accent so that I could turn it down when needed. Western US, Idaho in particular features long I (eye) sounds and hard R's.

Fuck my arms hurt...

This is from a few year's ago but I just thought about it today. It's one of my favorite things ever.

My wife and I and two of our friends went to the Pennsylvania State Renaissance Fare.

We were about two miles from the entrance. And what do we see?

There is a car with a flat tire on the side of the road. There is a woman standing next to the car. And there is a man, dressed as a knight, changing her tire.

CHIVALRY.

• Like 3