DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Americans, help a brother out: How would you pronounce the name "Berriault"? Ber-y-ult? Bear-y-ult? Bear-ult?

I'm Canadian, so I'd immediately pronounce it "Berr-au."

I'd learn whatever the person's first name is and use that. Being American, I can get away with casual-ness.

This doesn't really rise to the level of RAWR ANGER or anything, but it's something I legitimately wonder about and more of an annoyance than anything.

Why do people follow people, things, or entities on social media that they quite clearly don't like?

Same reason a liberal might watch Fox News or an NRA member might visit a gun control blog. Sometimes it's fun to rile yourself up or argue with people. I do this crap sometimes and I have to stop myself and consider what a waste of time and energy it is. It's silly but in a way it can be kinda fun too.

Okay this is going to come off really bad asking but I am trying to figure out this ice bucket challenge trend.   If I understand it right the idea is that you either make a donation of $100 to help fight ALS or you drench yourself in a bucket of ice cold water on social media and challenge your friends for the same thing. 

I know that they have received about $4 million in donations but it really seems to be me that the only people that are getting rewarded in this are the people NOT donating money and taking a cold shower instead because they are shown all over the media.  Are the majority of these people taking the cold shower AND donating $100 or someone donating $100 because someone taking the shower?     

After a quick but suprisingly deep nap, I awoke realizing I was dreaming the final scene of an alternate BUFFY final season.  I really couldn't piece together much, other than there were potential slayers, and somehow Xander had taken them and detached from the Scoobies getting, not corrupt, exactly, but overwhelmed and dangerous, for awhile.  But they all got back together to fight someone at the end.

The final scene took place next to a railroad bridge.  It was pretty fucking touching and the original group was sort of agreeing to disband because of various things that had happened and they seemed like they were old and tired and Buffy's powers were fading with age.  She was looking forward to living life as something like a normal adult.  It was just the main three and faith and a couple of potentials who were getting a new watcher.  Giles wasn't there and I assume he was killed.  

I was pretty choked up by the whole thing.

Moved house two weeks ago (Aug 1st). Virgin were supposed to come and connect my phone, TV and internet last friday (8th). They never showed. I was thinking that maybe when they asked for a contact number and I gave them my work's (first one I could think of; I don't believe on mobiles), they had called my work and one of my less intelligent workmates had told them I wasn't in. *

But that's not what happened, it was technical difficulties at their end. And then couldn't tell me because of the phone line that they didn't install was the only way of contacting me. I found that out eventually, when I called them from work on Sunday (I'd had a week off to move house. It's a good idea, better than moving house and working the next day like I did two moves ago. Or the same day, like I did last move).

So it was postponed a week. But they left an hour ago and I'm all cabled up now**. I just need to figure out how to calibrate computers and game systems to my new wireless broadband. Can't be too hard though. I just connected up a new washing machine for the first time in my life, and that was a pain in the arse (the previous homeowner had somehow snapped off the tap on the water pipe. I was trying to do a test wash, and no water was going into the machine. Luckily I have lots of spanners).

I could get into the kerfuffle I had getting my TV licence moved, but that's in the past now.

But still, TWO WEEKS with NO PHONE, NO TV and NO INTERNET. I played a lot of Skyrim. I was going to say I did a lot of Skyrimming, but that's only funny if you know a girl somebody called Skye, and I don't.

* At this point, this is more of a Goddammit post than a just stuff. It gets better.

** Which you should have guessed already by the fact that I'm posting this.

Part of my cat's right ear fell off last night.  No big deal really, we knew it was coming.  He'd been hit by a car when we found him, and he had two cauliflower ears.  The left one that hasn't fallen off is actually worse.  The problem is, we can't find it.  We know it fell off in our bedroom, but we have no idea where.  So right now there's a detached ear somewhere in my bedroom - assuming the dogs didn't find it. 

• Like 1

Part of my cat's right ear fell off last night.  No big deal really, we knew it was coming.  He'd been hit by a car when we found him, and he had two cauliflower ears.  The left one that hasn't fallen off is actually worse.  The problem is, we can't find it.  We know it fell off in our bedroom, but we have no idea where.  So right now there's a detached ear somewhere in my bedroom - assuming the dogs didn't find it.

You should rename the cat Foley.

So I'm a huge fan of the band Vertical Horizon.  Have been since their "Everything You Want" album came out 15 years ago.  But have never seen them in concert, since they apparently hate the northwest or something.  Couple days my wife says to me, "Hey, we have a free plane ticket, we should go to Vegas".  I think that sounds like a solid plan so I say "Sure".  Right after that, VH puts on their Facebook some new concert dates - including one in Vegas.  With another favorite band of the late 90s (Tonic) that I've also longed to say.  I love it when a plan comes together!  Then I see the date is right in the middle of a weight loss competition my wife has entered.  Not wanting to mess up her routine and eating for 5 days in Vegas, and also realizing we should probably pay off more of our Hawaii trip first, we have reluctantly decided not to go.  At least not in November when I could see VH & Tonic in concert.  Argh.  

Went to a concert last night.  He Is Legend, Maylene and the Sons Of Disaster, and 4 other bands.  (Side note......no matter how good or bad they are, I really get burnt out on shows that have several bands playing......but I digress.) 

He Is Legend was the headliner, and as soon as they were done, I saw the lead singer of Maylene standing nearby and snagged a picture with him.  Super friendly dude.  So then me and my friend headed outside and saw the lead singer of He Is Legend sitting outside. This was maybe 15 minutes after he had walked offstage, if that.  So we decide to see if we can snag pictures with him too.  He is sitting in a chair on the huge front porch (really cool venue, The Thompson House.)  I say "Hey man, would it be cool to get a picture with you?" He looks up from his phone and says, not in an unfriendly OR friendly way, "Sure, give a minute, OK?" 

No problem, so we step a few feet away and are chatting, not really paying attention to what he was doing.  Eventually about 5 minutes goes by and my friend says "Wanna just bail?"  I'm thinking yes.....I mean, it's starting to feel awkward that we're just standing there.  So we start to walk away when I hear the dude say "Hey man, you wanted a picture, right?"  I say "Yeah, if that's cool."  He replies "Yeah man, sorry about that, I had to roll this....."  and holds up and joint and lights it.  So we each get a picture with him, and quickly realize that he barely knows where the fuck he is.  Which was interesting......because as I said, he probably hadn't been offstage for more than 20 minutes.  And onstage, he was just on fire......really great. It amazes me what singers/musicians can do under those conditions.........because I really can't believe he got that fucked up in 20 short minutes.

Anyway, he was a nice enough dude and the show was killer. 

That's a good example I think of not good, not bad, just stuff. 

So I moved in three weeks ago, but there's still a For Sale/ Sold sign sitting at the end of my drive. Should I phone up the Estate Agents to ask if they want it back, or just take it off myself and cut it up with an Axe?

Because I've spent my entire adult like looking for a legitimate excuse to buy an Axe, and I might finally have one.

Awesome: I was hired to teach a course at a local university.

Oh shit: it starts in one week, and it's an upper-level theory course I have to prepare from scratch. So all new course plan, lectures, and the class probably won't have textbooks for the first week or two.

But at least I'm teaching.