DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

So, dunno if this'll catch on or not, but I'm envisioning this thread as the great mass of life in between what goes in the GOOD NEWS thread and what goes in the FUCK YOU/GODDAMMIT/SON OF A/(whatever ends up here after politics infects Son Of A and people get banned) threads.

Por ejemplo:

Had an awkward moment where I couldn't tell if that thing above a co-worker's eye was a mole or a beetle. I said nothing, looked up their picture in the company directory, and confirmed that it was a mole.

I should probably note that I have worked with this person (same office, same division) for three years.

So, dunno if this'll catch on or not, but I'm envisioning this thread as the great mass of life in between what goes in the GOOD NEWS thread and what goes in the FUCK YOU/GODDAMMIT/SON OF A/(whatever ends up here after politics infects Son Of A and people get banned) threads.

Por ejemplo:

Had an awkward moment where I couldn't tell if that thing above a co-worker's eye was a mole or a beetle. I said nothing, looked up their picture in the company directory, and confirmed that it was a mole.

I should probably note that I have worked with this person (same office, same division) for three years.

On my first day at my current job years ago, I went to the lunch room and was being introduced to various people. One chick had something on her teeth, and I was debating whether to tell her she had food stuck on her teeth or not. Luckily I didn't. It turned out she just had awful, stained teeth.

I am performing another stand up set tomorrow night. I had a dream two nights ago that I lost the notes for my set and I arrived at the club with no pants on. I am 41 years old and THAT is the equivalent of the "naked at school" dream with a side of "my dog ate my homework."

I don't know about you guys, but I always laugh at how often I find myself thinking about a DVDVR in joke or something in my every day life. It's one of those weird things, because you can't really explain it to whomever you are with. You try explaining a Piranesi post to a significant other. 

Anyway, the latest one was actually on twitter, when a former co worker (who is not on this board, to the best of my knowledge) put up a tweet that was something like "Goin' out, gotta look good for the ladies #Pololife" and I just lost it. No one else but this board would understand why I found that so funny.

• Like 3

I guess this is a good place to post an update. I have gone out a couple times now with this girl that started messaging me (remember that?) and she is fun to be around but it turns out that she is coming off a very long-term relationship, they still talk, I think it's best I move on correct? I guess I could just go with the flow.

-

Not really a GODDAMMIT worthy post.

I think it's hard for us to give advice on this situation without first establishing what you want out of the relationship. Are you looking to have fun, hang out, and spend time with a person that you think is nice to be around? That's awesome. Are you dating to audition women for marriage? You should probably move on, because I'm not sure that is where she is in her head space.  

A little of column A and B, JR. Not really marriage.. just something substantial. I'm getting a little older and am pretty tired of sort-term romances. I definitely do not want to start investing in this and then get socked over the head so I probably do have to move on even though it's a shame because we get along great so far. I don't know.

Maybe I'm just noticing it more than before but the last couple months it seems like my Facebook news feed has become polluted with friends posting photos from their professional photo shoots with some photographer and...the photos are bad.  Not bad as in the poses are bad or I don't like the composition or whatever.  No, not that.  See, it seems like once a week, somebody's posting a photo from a professional photographer that's way over-exposed and completely blown out and overly white.  I am hardly a pro photographer myself but good grief.  And invariably the folks in the photos are really pleased - or at least say they are - with the photos.  FWIW, the friends of mine that ARE pro photographers agree with me on this trend.

So let ole Tabe give you a tip, you overexposing pro photographers whose work keeps showing up on my news feed: The skin on white people is not supposed to be LITERALLY white.  Just sayin'.

For my fellow gamers here who have kids and are either married or live with their significant other, how do you manage to find time to do some gaming? My ex-wife was pretty much a no-fun zone for years, but my current girlfriend doesn't mind if I do some video gaming, but I feel kind of like a dick if I'm neglecting doing housework, exercise, reading, or doing something with my girlfriend to zone out and play some video games. I guess it's the conundrum I have with playing video games in general with everything else that goes on in life. I don't want to ignore my kid, I don't want to ignore my girlfriend, I don't want to leave a house project hanging, I don't want to neglect other activities, and I don't want to say no to a buddy who wants to grab a beer, but damn, I also want to play some video games. I guess I have a tough time prioritizing my activities, tasks and hobbies. Maybe I should just slot an hour or two to video games a couple days a week, but that may be weird since I'm basically turning my home life into my work life, what with designating blocks of time for various projects.

Oh, also, I had my first root canal and crown a year ago. Since then it's always felt a little uncomfortable. Maybe that isn't the word for it, but it doesn't really hurt, but it doesn't feel normal and I'm always aware that I have this impostor tooth. It's a little annoying and a little concerning that something is wrong with it. Like I said, it's my first and only crown, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Ah well.

I had my first root canal and crown in November. For months I couldn't stop rubbing my tongue on it, just cuz it felt so weird and non-toothy. After a while, though, I stopped noticing it so much. I still can tell it's not a real tooth, but it's not something that bothers me a lot.

Yeah, I just keep messing with it with my tongue. Hmm, I need to make a dentist's appointment for a filling that came loose some time ago so I'll bring it up then.

For my fellow gamers here who have kids and are either married or live with their significant other, how do you manage to find time to do some gaming? My ex-wife was pretty much a no-fun zone for years, but my current girlfriend doesn't mind if I do some video gaming, but I feel kind of like a dick if I'm neglecting doing housework, exercise, reading, or doing something with my girlfriend to zone out and play some video games. I guess it's the conundrum I have with playing video games in general with everything else that goes on in life. I don't want to ignore my kid, I don't want to ignore my girlfriend, I don't want to leave a house project hanging, I don't want to neglect other activities, and I don't want to say no to a buddy who wants to grab a beer, but damn, I also want to play some video games. I guess I have a tough time prioritizing my activities, tasks and hobbies. Maybe I should just slot an hour or two to video games a couple days a week, but that may be weird since I'm basically turning my home life into my work life, what with designating blocks of time for various projects.

1) Mobile games. embrace the smart phone.

2) Do you chores etc in double quick time, so that you can have a bit more time to play games.

3) wait til everyones in bed and have an hour or so.

4) if shes out on the weekend, or out on a friday night with the girls, use that time to play.

I've ended up designating a couple of hours a week/month to playing games. I'll just say I want to at the end of a day and Mrs red is fine with it. Of course I was playing Lego marvel heroes at the time and she was giggling at wolverine...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Onto my stuff.

It's warm out. Red is melting.

Baby C is 21 months old. Baby C is unable to regulate her temperature at the moment. Baby C is hot at nursery. Nursery takes baby c's temperature at 1pm. Its 38.6C 

1) of course it fucking is, its 1pm, shes been running about all morning. what are you doing, you retards?

2) now they've decided to give her calpol for her temperature, she has to go home. Red is phoned and brought out of work to bring baby c home. Red finds baby c in the nursery tucking into a couple slices of pizza and a cookie/melon pudding combo. not the typical stuff an ill baby c would normally eat. then when baby c gets home, she devours an orange in seconds.

Baby c is not ill, but it infuriates me that the nursery wont let her stay on after giving her calpol.

Oh, I'm all for lollygagging, and your crown should be unnoticeable, go get it reshaped.

This.  

I had to get a crown reshaped last year for exactly this reason.

Maybe I'm just noticing it more than before but the last couple months it seems like my Facebook news feed has become polluted with friends posting photos from their professional photo shoots with some photographer and...the photos are bad.  Not bad as in the poses are bad or I don't like the composition or whatever.  No, not that.  See, it seems like once a week, somebody's posting a photo from a professional photographer that's way over-exposed and completely blown out and overly white.  I am hardly a pro photographer myself but good grief.  And invariably the folks in the photos are really pleased - or at least say they are - with the photos.  FWIW, the friends of mine that ARE pro photographers agree with me on this trend.

So let ole Tabe give you a tip, you overexposing pro photographers whose work keeps showing up on my news feed: The skin on white people is not supposed to be LITERALLY white.  Just sayin'.

I have many a friend on Facebook who seem to think that having a fancy camera means they will be able to make a living as a photographer.

Speaking of Facebook, my profile makes no mention of relationship status, and I can't remember the last time I said anything about being single there, but I keep getting their advertisements to download the Facebook dating app.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Sometimes I don't play anything for a week or two and then I have a week where I play a little bit.  My boys play video games (but we limit them to an hour a day and they have to do chores to earn that time), so I can school them up on some NHL '95 in the living room if I want to.  Mostly, though, I prefer playing outside with the kids or spending time with the Mrs. so just don't play video games like I used to back in the day. 

Right now I could yell "HOCKEY TIME" and the boys freak out and we grab the goal and sticks and play street hockey in the road.  So much more fun than sitting in front of the tv CRACKING THEM CASES with that stupid motherfucker Cole Phelps. 

Video game time will just become more infrequent the older you get.