DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Great day today seeing Scream VI with my Sister, her first cinema trip in 18 years as she has right bad anxiety. For that reason, it's a day I'll long remember. We really enjoyed the film with nods to past entries, rules references and what the past can do to us. Scream slasher staples (check that alliteration out). You do need to stay when the credits roll as there's a post-credits scene. Here's how I'd rank the Scream films:

6. Scream 3 (2000).

5. Scream 4 (2011).

4. Scream (2022).

3. Scream VI (2023).

2. Scream 2 (1997).

1. Scream (1996).

• Like 7

On 1/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, Zimbra said:

Sitting in the ER with my wife who fell and broke her leg this morning and got a text from my aunt, who has cancer and with thom we had dinner last night, that she tested positive for COVID.

So, yeah, not great, Bob.

Because we are living life on hard mode we found out on Friday that when my wife broke her leg she also ruptured her patellar tendon.  So I guess we'll deal with that whenever her bone heals.

• Sad 5

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Because we are living life on hard mode we found out on Friday that when my wife broke her leg she also ruptured her patellar tendon.  So I guess we'll deal with that whenever her bone heals.

Sorry to hear about your wife,

Not that we’re having a contest, but I can lap that, lol.  As mentioned previously, i did four rounds of chemo between late November and the last day of January.  Then I caught Covid a few weeks later, so, yeah, I’m on a roll.

Covid was interesting,  Wife and I were somewhat concerned since my immune system was weakened by the chemo, but, welp, we were the only ones.  Wife tested positive on Saturday.  By Monday, I’m still negative but have a sore throat and congestion.  Was scheduled to be at my oncologist the next morning for immunotherapy, so I call them to explain the situation and, surprisingly, am told to come on down unless I actually test positive between now and then.  Seems like cavalier advice, but ok.  Tested positive the next morning, called oncologist again to see what she wanted me to do and she was pretty causal about it.  Didn’t think I needed to go see my gp or get whatever the pill is called, just told me to rest and come in the following week for my appointment.  I was a little skeptical, but, as it turned out, that was good advice.  Was tired for about two days, had a two day cough and a mild sore throat, but all in all, I’ve had much worse cases of actual flu.  Wife and I were mostly symptom free by weekend and both were testing negative by that Sunday.  We are up on all our booster shots, but, honestly, I didn’t expect that to do much for me if I did get Covid.  I’m also on a steroid to boost my immune system, but I dunno how effective a substitute that is.

Anyway, got over it pretty quickly.  No lingering symptoms.  Still kinda tired from chemo but that’s getting better too.

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

For those following some of the banking shenanigans, here's a video about Credit Suisse flailing wildly as it drowns in its own incompetence.  I post it here because if you follow the train for about a minute, well...there's a payoff.

Generally I recommend Plain Bagel anyway for pretty well-explained financial stuff on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Facebook: I have tried being funny. I have tried being understanding. I have tried workarounds. But now, I'm angry. LET ME SET "MOST RECENT" as my default, you sons of misbegotten goats.

Yes, I agree that post about peep rankings was cool. The first time it was posted. Several Days Ago. There's no effing need to show it to me again and again and again and again and again and..

(sorry to my friend, but I've seen it so much that it makes me about as ill as actually consuming the number of peeps in that picture)

What is so effing hard about realizing that most folks use Facebook to catch up on what their friends are doing most recently? I'm beginning to think that you LIKE people getting frustrated about not being able to set Most Recent as default. That making people go two-three levels into a menu to actually see what folks have posted lately is against the Geneva Convention.

(Note: A slight bit of hyperbole there. It ISN'T a violation of the Geneva Convention. It only SHOULD be.)

"Hey, this guy wants to see something new? HAH! The Algorithim wants to show him the story about the woman trying to scratch a card off for the 30th time! Who cares what he wants?

The sad thing is twitter's worse. (and they're trying to force the same thing down our throats over there as a bonus bit of shittery)

This rant brought to you by "Fozzie slept wrong and cricked his back up something fierce"

• Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 9:36 AM, SirFozzie said:

Dear Facebook: I have tried being funny. I have tried being understanding. I have tried workarounds. But now, I'm angry. LET ME SET "MOST RECENT" as my default, you sons of misbegotten goats.

Yes, I agree that post about peep rankings was cool. The first time it was posted. Several Days Ago. There's no effing need to show it to me again and again and again and again and again and..

(sorry to my friend, but I've seen it so much that it makes me about as ill as actually consuming the number of peeps in that picture)

What is so effing hard about realizing that most folks use Facebook to catch up on what their friends are doing most recently? I'm beginning to think that you LIKE people getting frustrated about not being able to set Most Recent as default. That making people go two-three levels into a menu to actually see what folks have posted lately is against the Geneva Convention.

(Note: A slight bit of hyperbole there. It ISN'T a violation of the Geneva Convention. It only SHOULD be.)

"Hey, this guy wants to see something new? HAH! The Algorithim wants to show him the story about the woman trying to scratch a card off for the 30th time! Who cares what he wants?

The sad thing is twitter's worse. (and they're trying to force the same thing down our throats over there as a bonus bit of shittery)

This rant brought to you by "Fozzie slept wrong and cricked his back up something fierce"

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

Related to your (very valid) complaints.

My sister came over last night to show me the sex toy she found in our parent’s house (both parents are deceased and we’re cleaning out the house to sell).   I’m generally kind of stoic and unflappable, so sis greatly enjoyed watching me squirm.  I thought I was old enough to be comfortable with the idea that my parents had lots of sex -we’re a big family, after all - but my mother was a devout, no-nonsense Catholic, mostly conservative and buttoned-down.  She was a great mom and we had happy childhoods, but if I had to sum her up in a word, “matronly” might do.  She’s about the last person I expected to own a vibrator,

I was really weirded-out when sis showed me the batteries still work.  My parents were both in their eighties when they passed.  Trying hard not to ponder the whys of that one,

So, yeah, I already hate this week.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Very unfortunate typo
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

My sister came over last night to show me the sex toy she found in our parent’s house (both parents are deceased and we’re cleaning out the house to sell).   I’m generally kind of stoic and unflappable, so sis greatly enjoyed watching me squirm.  I thought I was old enough to be comfortable with the idea that my parents had lots of sex -we’re a big family, after all - but my mother was a devout, no-nonsense Catholic, mostly conservative and buttoned-down.  She was a great mom and we had happy childhoods, but if I had to sum her up in a word, “matronly” might do.  She’s about the last person I expected to own a vibrator,

I was really weirded-out when sis showed me the batteries still work.  My parents were both in their eighties when they passed.  Trying hard not to ponder the whys of that one,

So, yeah, I already hate this week.  

Your sister sounds like my kind of people.

22 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Now turn up at the next meeting and call her out to address those issues face to face. 

We’d already tried that.  This was the end of a long-simmering feud.  Actually, the partners called me in earlier this week and gave me an opportunity to respond to her and I declined.  I felt like everyone involved knew I’d made attempts to work things out with her or at least be professional about It.  Our disagreements are/were purely personal and mostly ridiculous, imo.  No one wins when you go whining to your superiors because someone doesn’t like you,  I feel like I could have worked with her without a problem, if she’d wanted to go that route.  I felt like most people in the building already knew that,

Anyway, she was serious when she said “him or me”.  The partners picked me, I guess.  We’ll be former coworkers very soon,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Baby due yesterday. Thought my wife was going to murder birthing team when told they would only induce in ten days time.

What are the rules on watching WrestleMania in a birthing suite exactly?

There's a difference between Wrestlemania and a birthing suite?

Well, I guess all the blood is hardway in the birthing suite.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Got CM Punk’d at work this week.  A coworker decided to hijack a meeting (that I wasn’t at) to air her personal dislike for me and a few others.  Things escalated from there until she finally took a “him or me” stance,

We’ll miss her.  Sorta.

Man. Wish I could have seen this. No fun for you it sounds like, though. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Man. Wish I could have seen this. No fun for you it sounds like, though. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t have minded catching it myself.  I’m told it was quite a show,  Though, honestly, if I’d been in the room, I would probably have felt obliged to defend myself.  When I spoke to the partners the next day, I took the high road and just said I’d leave it to them to decide how we’d all work together or not going forward.  It was the right tact.  In the moment, I would have probably have  just gotten pissy and escalated the situation.  

I’m a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, but I’ll live.

• Like 2

At the start of the year, I wanted it to be a year of change. As you know I have Cerebral Palsy and suffer with mental health issues particularly depression. It's been an eventful three months. January 2023, I found out Dr. Jundi was leaving as she's pregnant. I'm really happy for her but thought fuck having spoke to her every month since October 2019. Dr. Jundi has really tried to help me, she's the one who came up with Trazodone. My Wellbeing College has burnt my ass badly two times with Ben and Rebecca so wasn't going to give them a third outing but I've really hit it off with Deborah, my counsellor.

We sorted Mum's belongings out in February. I now wear her leather bracelet with the blessing of Dad/Laura which I've wanted to for years. I found two jumpers made by Mum for her Dad, my Grandad who was like a second Dad to me. I now wear, a relief as I got rid of the jumpers Mum made me, a decision I bitterly regret.

I joined the gym as part of the BEEP scheme, first time in a gym for 15 years. I had to have my induction away from where I live because of my BEEP contact, Megan who I really didn't like. Megan has since left, I now have Ellie who is much better. I have to balance things out though because my body with CP works four times harder compared to someone doing the same without. Having done my induction, I can now go to the one 15 minutes away from where I live.

Adam who is like a brother to me paid a surprise visit on the 5th of March for my birthday the next day. On the 5th of March we went with my Dad to see Creed III, then the pub watching in disbelief at Liverpool 7-0 Manchester United followed by a Shimla Spice curry. Curry is my favourite food and nowhere does it better. The next day was my birthday started with a full English before Aje headed back. Batman was well represented in presents as you'd expect. AEW Revolution 2023 was the 5th of March in the USA but 1am UK time so that was cool alongside the NJPW 51st Anniversary Show, and WWE RAW. Mother's Day was a week later. I usually self-harm on my Birthday and Mother's Day as both events trigger me...but I beat the urge. For the first time since losing Mum 9 years ago. I didn't want to shit the bed stopping myself on my Birthday but doing it a week later undoing that good work. Meant a lot hearing my Dad/Laura/Dr. Jundi/Aje/Alyson/Deborah say how proud of me they were.

I went to see Scream VI with my Sister, Laura's first time at the cinema in 18 years as she has right bad anxiety. Enjoyed the film but more the company for those reasons. It's a day I'll long remember.

Last Tuesday was most moving as it's the last time I'll see Dr. Jundi as she goes on maternity leave next week. I'm really going to miss her for the reasons in the opening paragraph to this post. I got choked up when she's said how very proud she is of me as she's seen me at my highest and lowest ebb. Had a cry when I arrived home. Wednesday will be the last time I talk to her for a year.

For making such progress this year, I treated myself to a Shimla Spice curry on the 31st of March. It's pricey there compared to where else you could have gone and I don't have much brass but thought fuck it.

Let's see what the next quarter brings. Thank you for the support I get here. Really does mean a lot. Love, Paul xxx.

• Like 11

My wife was able to walk from the bed to the bathroom and back this weekend!  All it took was two knee braces, a walker, a walking boot and a gait belt.  But still: progress.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so who here wants to give me an explanation why I saw my next door neighbor's kid (I use the term "kid" to mean he's their offspring, not that he's a child.  He lives with his parents, but I'd guess he's at least in his mid 50s) dragging a coffin out of their garage this afternoon?  I thought living in a house where the previous owner murdered his wife was odd enough already.  Not sure I needed the coffin next door to really up the weirdness factor.

12 hours ago, Robert C said:

OK, so who here wants to give me an explanation why I saw my next door neighbor's kid (I use the term "kid" to mean he's their offspring, not that he's a child.  He lives with his parents, but I'd guess he's at least in his mid 50s) dragging a coffin out of their garage this afternoon?  I thought living in a house where the previous owner murdered his wife was odd enough already.  Not sure I needed the coffin next door to really up the weirdness factor.

He got the wrong size and he's taking it back to Costco to exchange it?

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1