DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Spent a good half of last week in the hospital, due to high calcium in the blood, which I didn't even know was a thing. That's gonna be $6,000+ in the hole. Due to the death of my mother earlier this year, I can at least afford it.

• Sad 4

37 minutes ago, Ace said:

Spent a good half of last week in the hospital, due to high calcium in the blood, which I didn't even know was a thing. That's gonna be $6,000+ in the hole. Due to the death of my mother earlier this year, I can at least afford it.

I didn’t know that was a thing either! How did you get all that calcium in your blood? Are you better now?

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Why? Is he dead?

To this board, he is.

They're not sure yet. It was thought it was a parathyroid issue, but they look okay. The calcium was making me really lethargic and brain foggy beforehand. My typing at the time was abysmal as well.

Home from hanging a Christmas Star up in my much missed Mum's memory on the Christmas Tree in City Hall. Done that every year since Mum was stolen from us on the 26th of June 2014 far too young at 53. Tomorrow is my Mum's 62nd Birthday, it's always emotional. Happy Birthday, Mum. Love and miss you, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 10

In 14 days I'm going to be 40.  One the one hand I'm happy.  But on the other hand it depresses the fuck out of me.

In the past 40 years we're no closer to worldwide acceptance.

In the past 40 years people still hate each other for who they are and what they want to be.

In the past 40 years there's been little to no indication that things will be better soon or even 40 years from now.

And yet while I might be personally be happy with where I am I am so incredibly depressed.

I love you all.  I even love myself.  It's just.....I wish had words to properly express it all.  But while I'm not a wordsmith I'll try.

Remember those songs from 40 or 50 years ago talking about peace on Earth during Christmas?  Yeah, what about that?  I know a lot of it has to do with people much richer or influential than us.   But in that time can we honestly say that we have all done all that we can to help?  I think about that a lot.  On the one hand I like to think I have but reality might say otherwise.  I just know I want to be better not just for myself but for people in general.  I am by no means a saint, not even close.  But I just want to be better.  And if possible I would wish for others to be better.  Will it happen?  I hope so, but forgive me if I'm pessimistic.  I'll try my damndest though to be optimistic and hope for the best.  I just wish that others near and dear to me feel the same way.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

i turned 40 a couple months ago and feel much of the same ways you do, @NikoBaltimore.

change is incremental. it was only 70 years ago when schools were forced to desegregate. it's been just over 50 years since the Stonewall riots. Both of those events (and countless others) seem like the distant past when we look at where we are now. 
there is a more diverse group of people making laws, movies, music, and everything else than at any point in history. There's ample evidence that the younger Millenials and Gen Z'ers are much more progressive than any generation that came before them. 

all you can do is be the best person you can be, and hopefully inspire those around you to do the same. (tuning out the news and politics helps too!) Help others. Whether that be friends, family, neighbors, or members of any groups (bands, church, book clubs, etc.) that you're a part of. Or maybe give aid to a local charity- could be money, time, or whatever else they need. Just put out good vibes.

We're all in this together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me, or has the asshole volume been turned up on the board lately? Lots of people just being flat out fucky to one another, and it harshes my mellow.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it seems like a lot of regular discussions lately have gotten extra-testy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Is it just me, or has the asshole volume been turned up on the board lately? Lots of people just being flat out fucky to one another, and it harshes my mellow.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it seems like a lot of regular discussions lately have gotten extra-testy. 

Not just you.  I was a regular from 2004-2014 or thereabouts and quite liked the site.  Just came back after several years of not visiting the site at all and… yeah, not enjoying it much.  I probably won’t stick much longer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There's certain people that are polluting the threads as part of their gimmick.  It won't take long to see who they are but I really wish they would be banned.

But I think it's also imperative to not engage on their bullshit and ignore them altogether.  I used to be weird about putting people on ignore but it's saved my sanity quite a few times.  Now if we can find a way where I don't even see people's responses to the fuckers then that would be swell.

It has affected how much I post on here anymore.  I can go a week or so without reading on here, take a day to catch up on everything and still not have the urge to say anything.  Shit's so damn toxic that I'd rather not bother.  Thanks, trolls.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

There's certain people that are polluting the threads as part of their gimmick.  It won't take long to see who they are but I really wish they would be banned.

But I think it's also imperative to not engage on their bullshit and ignore them altogether.  I used to be weird about putting people on ignore but it's saved my sanity quite a few times.  Now if we can find a way where I don't even see people's responses to the fuckers then that would be swell.

It has affected how much I post on here anymore.  I can go a week or so without reading on here, take a day to catch up on everything and still not have the urge to say anything.  Shit's so damn toxic that I'd rather not bother.  Thanks, trolls.

Second the use of the ignore feature. I used to worry that it'd make it hard to follow the conversation. The good news is, those trolls Niko mentioned don't actually add anything to the conversation, so nothing is missed. My ignore list has gotten longer lately, but it's also made it a lot more enjoyable here for me.

• Like 2

I don't even bother reading anything anymore and just occasionally check this forum. That's more to do with the lack of fandom for wrestling anymore than anything else, but it's a useful excuse either way.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When you choose what content from a user to ignore, one of the options is "mentions". I always assumed that would in fact hide replies to the person in question, though I haven't tested it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

When you choose what content from a user to ignore, one of the options is "mentions". I always assumed that would in fact hide replies to the person in question, though I haven't tested it.

Sadly no, it just mutes if the person tags or quotes you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Red King said:

Now that I'm not drinking the beers much, I lost even more weight. I'm down to 157 pounds but I wanna go down to 145 pounds.

Well done.

I lost 4st+ from October 2009-June 2010.

I lost a further stone from May 2011-October 2011.

My lowest weight was too low, 7st 10lbs in December 2015. Scary low.

I've gained weight the past two years but need to lose some. Hard to when walking is so difficult. Medication side effect also. The depression accounting for some lack of motivation too.

• Like 3

I have been working for the same company full time since I was 30, and part-time since I was 27. This year I was serendipitously told to apply for another company which was also recruiting. So I did, because, you just can't not take opportunities if they are handed to you. Once they contacted me, I was quickly offered a position, with pay close to what I was making at the moment.

I had informed my employer that I will seek this other opportunity and if something comes of it, I'll let them know. Much to their credit, they quickly came up with a nice counter offer and after deliberating over the weekend, I decided to stay put.

As soon as I was put in a position to choose between two companies and two deals, I immediately thought of Bret Hart in 1997. We know how that turned out, but would it have been any better if he did end up staying?

I feel like I made the right choice, as I wasn't looking to leave if the opportunity didn't land on my lap like that. But at least now I know, I do actually have and can have opportunities elsewhere, as well.

• Like 6

Round 1 of chemo went decently.  Tired most of the time and very fatigued some days, but no nausea and still eating ok.  Didn’t miss much time at the office, so that’s good.  Driving really takes it out of me for some reason.  Wife snd kids want to drive me around but I’m not inclined to let them.  

Round 2 is Tuesday.  Halfway done.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Mario said:

Round 1 of chemo went decently.  Tired most of the time and very fatigued some days, but no nausea and still eating ok.  Didn’t miss much time at the office, so that’s good.  Driving really takes it out of me for some reason.  Wife snd kids want to drive me around but I’m not inclined to let them.  

Round 2 is Tuesday.  Halfway done.

Best wishes xxx.

• Thanks 1

Pizza Pieces is my favourite place to eat even though curry is my favourite takeaway by far. I've wanted to eat inside Shimla Spice for years. I hoped my Dad would finally come but if not, I was going to go alone. Back from doing so together. I had my usual Desi Keema Saagh which is one of the hottest curries I've ever eaten and a strawberry goblet for dessert. Dad a Chicken Tikka Masala with a mint chocolate ice cream trufito as his dessert. Great time.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6