DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Hi bud!  Just taking some time off, no biggie.  Thanks for asking!

In that case, get your ass back to work on your WWF nostalgia tour!

I really enjoy reading those posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2022 at 12:27 PM, Control said:

Folks, my dad wants to come visit me this Xmas. 

Here’s the thing: my dad definitely can’t travel on his own. He’s old and very, very unhealthy. The most immediate problem is that he can barely walk unassisted but  refuses assistance, but that’s not even the half of it. There’s no way he’s catching a flight and a connection, and even if he does, my place is on the second floor, and he can barely climb stairs.

I know he can’t travel on his own. My siblings know it. My step-brother knows it. But he doesn’t know it.

And so when I talk to him next, I have to say “no, you’re not coming to visit. You think you can travel on your own, but you can’t. You’re an ill, feeble man.” Because no one else in my family will. (And with good reason: he’s not likely to understand or forgive me).

Anyway, if anyone has experience   breaking the heart (and pride) of an old man, let me know. Because I am not looking forward to it.

I had that as well. It's not fun.

I think the most beneficial approach to the conversation was offering to meet halfway somewhere, hopefully a cheap, direct flight, but based on what you're saying about needing mobility assistance anyway, that could be difficult in itself. Is travel by boat completely impractical in your context?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I had that as well. It's not fun.

I think the most beneficial approach to the conversation was offering to meet halfway somewhere, hopefully a cheap, direct flight, but based on what you're saying about needing mobility assistance anyway, that could be difficult in itself. Is travel by boat completely impractical in your context?

Lol, no, he lives on the prairies.

The frustrating thing (well, one of them) is that my brother apparently already had this conversation with him, and my dad agreed that he couldn’t travel on his own, and now he’s just changed his mind.

• Sad 1

Finished up the first week at the new job today. What a difference a week makes since leaving my last job of eight years. Still doing the same thing(Food Service delivery, except now delivering meat instead of produce), but driving a semi(after a twenty year break) instead of a straight truck. I rode with four different drivers during the week. My first day driving was Wednesday and that day was spent on the east side of Indiana. It all came back pretty quickly. Even though I worked pretty close to 60 hours this week I am not feeling tired, I'm not feeling rushed, my hair trigger temper has subsided. This has been the best week I've had in quite a while.

• Like 8

Got an issue similar to Control’s, albeit with a much simpler solution.  My mother-in-law has decided she wants to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with us then fly to Australia before New Year’s for her sister’s 90th birthday.  My ma-in-law is 84 and can probably fly alone, but hasn’t since her husband passed and has never traveled abroad without her husband, so we’re a bit nervous.  Original plan was for someone to go with Ma in mid-February but she then misses the party, so that’s a bad plan.  Wife and her sisters are kinda stressed worrying Ma won’t be able to travel alone and they won’t be able to rearrange their schedules to go.

Fortunately, my wife passed on the chance to marry up and instead married me.  I don’t really see this as a problem since I will be on holiday vacation until after New Year’s and don’t really have to punch a clock.  If I have to delay getting back to the office for a couple extra days, it’s not a problem so, if we don’t find a better solution, I’m planning to fly with Ma-in-law to Sydney, make sure she gets to her sister’s and gets settled, then turn around and fly home.  Easy Peasy.

in less interesting news, I cleaned under a garage freezer this morning and found half a chocolate Easter egg.  Fairly sure it’s been under there for years.  I would have expected it to be eaten by vermin.  Or melt.  Or just decay.  Instead, it held its shape and kinda fossilized. Ick.  At the moment, I am in no hurry to eat processed chocolate.

Edited by madl
Typos
  • Like 1

Some 80 year old man rear ended me last week. Claimed he was only going 10mph yet his Pontiac Fiero (yes that's right) managed to push my bumper completely up and under the rear of the vehicle, bent my entire exhaust system all the way up to my engine, mis-aligned my rear hatch (which thankfully still closes but you can see it isn't properly aligned anymore) and almost took my muffler off (I had to wrap a wire around it to keep it from scraping on the ground). The best part? His insurance won't cover it because he only had a "garage" policy on it.

Thankfully, my insurance WILL cover it since I have collision but that means I'll have to pay my $1000 deductible with no guarantee I'll get it back. Also no guarantee it won't make my rates go up.

The guy didn't even have proof of insurance on him when the cop arrived after the accident, yet he wasn't given a ticket. So he gets to ram into me and get away with it scott free. My insurance told me that he will likely get dropped by his insurance for driving the car when it was supposed to be stored in a garage, but I still feel like he should have to be financially liable. If my insurance can't get my 1000 bucks back I'm debating taking him to small claims court. But then I'm sure it will just be a case of me picking on an old man and I won't get anything anyway because he'll get sympathy for managing to not die yet.

I'm a little frustrated if you can't tell.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Elon gonna Elon, this post has a decent thread about the dumpster fire going down at Twit hq

He is just hellbent on driving away all of his quality staff for some reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

He is just hellbent on driving away all of his quality staff for some reason.

And then be all shocked, like "I was so sure it would go the other way!" , like Diane on Bojack Horseman, when they decided to outlaw guns altogether, since the alternative was to let all women start carrying guns so they can feel safe (which was what they wanted). If Elon hopes to bully people into some "super producive-mode" and he'll probably be in for a rude awakening.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 4:15 PM, Shartnado said:

And then be all shocked, like "I was so sure it would go the other way!" , like Diane on Bojack Horseman, when they decided to outlaw guns altogether, since the alternative was to let all women start carrying guns so they can feel safe (which was what they wanted). If Elon hopes to bully people into some "super producive-mode" and he'll probably be in for a rude awakening.

Give this man a prize:

https://twitter.com/kyliebytes/status/1593391167718113280

If twitter does die this board had better stick around because I cannot be left alone with my thoughts.

• Like 1