DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
23 hours ago, (BP) said:

Last night I spent 45 minutes looking for the source of a humming noise coming from either the pipes or the vents, fearing the worst, looking up numbers for my HVAC servicer and my plumber. Then I went in my bathroom and I realized I left my electric toothbrush on and it fell in the sink so it was humming through the pipes. So everything’s great over here besides my brain. 

This is a good argument for getting one that has a two minute timer, if you ask me. Good dental hygiene and less pipe-based panic!

An update on what I posted three weeks or so ago: I have to get a transesophageal echocardiogram. My heart has apparently a what they call a "bicuspid aortic valve" instead of the normal "tricuspid". So, because of that, my heart works harder to pump blood to my body and brain (which is why I probably felt the way I did that night and everything that happened). Also because of that, my heart is enlarged because it's a muscle, and it's working overtime to do what a normal heart does without much effort.

Fun times, I guess. Love finding out I have a heart birth defect.

• Sad 7

Today is the 10th World Cerebral Palsy Day represented by the colour green. Over 17 million people are born this way including me. CP mainly affects my muscles, my movement. My speech as a kid. Makes life hard, I've noticed a difference as I've gotten older. I'm fortunate to have my family/friends/NHS for love and support over the years. For that, I thank you xxx.

• Like 9

Adnan Syed is officially a free man! Prosecutors dropped the case against him. Passage from the WaPo article:

The Maryland Office of the Public Defender said in a statement that DNA testing had “excluded” Syed, and that the State’s Attorney’s Office would thus no longer prosecute the case. The statement noted, though, that the family of the murder victim was still pursuing an appeal of the judge’s order vacating Syed’s conviction.

• Like 2

Hi friends! I haven’t been around in a while so I figured I’d check in. I’ve had some struggles recently and I pretty much had to check out from online activity. Long story short, I had a really bad breakup with my now ex-girlfriend, then in the middle of all that I got Covid. My mental state wasn’t great after the breakup so I’ve been to therapy and now ended up moving in with a friend up near Cleveland. I’m doing a bit better now that I have a nice support system between my friend/roommate and continuing video chats with my therapist. I celebrated by birthday back on September 2nd as well and my friend/roommate took me out on a little trip to Pittsburgh and we just spent time enjoying the city that weekend. I’ll be around here and there and will pop in with comments occasionally. Hope everyone is doing well! I sure missed all of you!

Edited by onelegbrynn
  • Like 9

Saw something crazy last week.  Was driving home from work and got stopped in a construction zone.   While I’m sitting there, the vehicle a few cars ahead of me pulls out of line and.… runs over the construction worker standing a bit ahead of him.  Then the guy tries to drive off, only to be cut off because it’s rush hour in a construction zone.  So the driver swerves into a parking lot.

When he drove into the parking lot, the construction workers who weren’t checking on their buddy ran over and surrounded the car.  So the driver squared up so his vehicle faced the road and got out of the car.  He apparently left the vehicle in gear, so when he got out, the vehicle lurched forward and slowly crept into the street.

People and cars scattered to get out of the way of the driverless vehicle.  When the suv drifted back onto the highway, the driver broke into a sprint, jumped into the moving vehicle and managed to weave through traffic and drive off.

One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen in person.  Like something out of an action flick.  And the driver seemed to know exactly what he was doing.  No hesitation, like he had rehearsed it.  The construction worker suffered only minor injuries and the driver eventually got id’ed (or, at least, the owner of the car was identified) but hasn’t been located to be charged.  The vehicle had California plates but this took place on the East Coast, so it’s possible he wasn’t a local.

The suv was moving slowly when it went back into the street, but was rolling faster than I’d expect a driverless car to move, so I’m wondering if he braced the gas pedal somehow,  I’m not entirely sure how far my vehicles would roll if I parked on a level and left it in gear but took my foot off the gas.  At one point, the guy had braked and come to a complete stop, so it wasn’t forward momentum pulling the vehicle along.  Vehicle looked to be an older model and wasn't in great shape, so I a guessing no electronic hocus pocus.

Edited by madl

Folks, my dad wants to come visit me this Xmas. 

Here’s the thing: my dad definitely can’t travel on his own. He’s old and very, very unhealthy. The most immediate problem is that he can barely walk unassisted but  refuses assistance, but that’s not even the half of it. There’s no way he’s catching a flight and a connection, and even if he does, my place is on the second floor, and he can barely climb stairs.

I know he can’t travel on his own. My siblings know it. My step-brother knows it. But he doesn’t know it.

And so when I talk to him next, I have to say “no, you’re not coming to visit. You think you can travel on your own, but you can’t. You’re an ill, feeble man.” Because no one else in my family will. (And with good reason: he’s not likely to understand or forgive me).

Anyway, if anyone has experience   breaking the heart (and pride) of an old man, let me know. Because I am not looking forward to it.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Control said:

Anyway, if anyone has experience   breaking the heart (and pride) of an old man, let me know. Because I am not looking forward to it.

Can you go to him? Have some sort of experience he can only have with you where he’s at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Can you go to him? Have some sort of experience he can only have with you where he’s at.

Not really! It’s an expensive flight and I don’t have money. Also, my current jobs (and my wife’s health) make travel difficult.

1 minute ago, Control said:

Not really! It’s an expensive flight and I don’t have money. Also, my current jobs (and my wife’s health) make travel difficult.

That’s your angle then. Blame work. Those bastards. Say maybe next year and see if your situation is better to maybe that way a year out.

• Like 2

Just now, Matt D said:

That’s your angle then. Blame work. Those bastards. Say maybe next year and see if your situation is better to maybe that way a year out.

I mean I am absolutely going to take the coward’s way out if I can. I’m also definitely going to see him in March.

The larger issue remains, though: that he has a completely unrealistic notion of his capabilities that doesn’t seem to be going away. After visiting me on the other side of the country, he’s planning overseas trips to see my siblings, and that’s just unfathomable. We gotta figure out a way to burst his bubble.

How many siblings?

I just avoid my family because they're shit, but I think a united front might work best. "You're in no shape to travel to see any of us" might be a row the first time and result in some blaming, but repeated mentions with no one backing down from him might make him do some self-reflection.

Unless you've already tried that and he's being an asshole about this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Unless you've already tried that and he's being an asshole about this.

Lol, you think a “very, very unhealthy” old man is being an asshole for trying to see his family during the holidays?  ‘Cause my first thought is that the guy realizes he doesn’t have a whole lot of holidays left and wants to see his family while there is still time.  I mean, If it’s my family, we just say “ok, dad.  We’ll work it out” and then go work it out.  I’m sure there’s a backstory here and I don’t know the relationships well enough to judge, but, at first glance, it doesn’t sound like the dad is the asshole.

On 9/7/2022 at 5:17 AM, Casey said:

Long story short - I got taken off in an ambulance last night at work because I couldn’t catch my breath and was sweating so much. My heart rate was something like 236 before they put me on oxygen.

Shockingly, I’m perfectly fine and there appears to be nothing wrong with me based off blood work, an EKG, cheat x-ray, etc. It’s just really fucking hot in the factory I work at, combined with me not eating anything all day and not staying hydrated.

I thought I was going to die for a good 5 minutes before they gave me oxygen. Like, starting to cry because I couldn’t breathe and I went into panic mode because of that. Scary, scary shit.

Hey, this happened again. Neat! It was a lot worse this time, oxygen didn’t help. They had to give me a double dose of some drug that slows down your heart rate.

I feel like my time is running out.

• Sad 9

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hey, this happened again. Neat! It was a lot worse this time, oxygen didn’t help. They had to give me a double dose of some drug that slows down your heart rate.

I feel like my time is running out.

I'm sorry it happened again. I hope they can figure out what's going on with another data point. Hang in there. You're part of the family here.

Thanks guys, it means a lot. I was in the hospital from Saturday morning to Monday night - they wanted to check for blockages on Monday, so they kept me all weekend to monitor my heart as well. I had a catheter put into my right arm’s veins and they took pictures of my heart with the dye they injected me with. No blockages, thankfully. More tests are scheduled, probably looking at what we originally thought - I have a birth defect on my heart that made it to where I have only two valves instead of three, so my heart is working at a normal pace when it can’t keep up with that much work due to it missing a valve. I’m on a beta blocker for right now, though.

Oh, and I got COVID while I was in the hospital too. That’s awesome.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

Thanks guys, it means a lot. I was in the hospital from Saturday morning to Monday night - they wanted to check for blockages on Monday, so they kept me all weekend to monitor my heart as well. I had a catheter put into my right arm’s veins and they took pictures of my heart with the dye they injected me with. No blockages, thankfully. More tests are scheduled, probably looking at what we originally thought - I have a birth defect on my heart that made it to where I have only two valves instead of three, so my heart is working at a normal pace when it can’t keep up with that much work due to it missing a valve. I’m on a beta blocker for right now, though.

Oh, and I got COVID while I was in the hospital too. That’s awesome.

Best wishes, fella. My Sister has the same thing with her heart, she's had to take her beta blocker today.

Went to the dentist last week for a checkup and yesterday the hygienist. In my 37 years I've had no filling, teeth removed, abscess etc, just cleans every now and then. Despite never having those issues, I very rarely smile with my teeth showing. Had a real phobia of the dentist as a kid and growing up and no, it wasn't Issac Yankem DDS ?.

• Like 2