DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So…. How much younger would I have to be to know what a deep is?   20 years?  25?  More?

From what I gather, judging from all the posts where within the word "derp" has been used, I have come to the conclusion that it is a general term in Oktopi parlance, much like the word "smurf" is in the language of the Smurfs. That's just how I interpret it, though.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

People dueling on who wants to pay is the dumbest thing. Like for me, if someone offers to pay, I do one refusal in case it wasn't a legit offering. If they say "I insist!" I say "Thanks!" and I continue on with my life.

We call this "politeness roulette" in my family and anyone participating is subject to intense mockery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

We call this "politeness roulette" in my family and anyone participating is subject to intense mockery.

I am guilty of this, but I try to remember to just say “ok, I’ll get the check next time” when it happens.

Once all of us kids were adults, we went through this with my father whenever we went out to dinner.  Eventually, we just started letting Dad pay - then putting money in his wallet when he wasn’t looking.  Whenever he was home for the day, my father would leave his wallet on a corner of the kitchen table, so it wasn’t hard to get into it when we were over.

This went on for almost 25 years and my father never mentioned it to me or my siblings.  I assume he realized we were giving him money for dinner, but he never brought it up.  When all of us got together with kids and spouses, the bill ran several hundred dollars or so.

Now that he is gone, it seems kinda endearing but, at the time, I found his insistence on paying for things hella annoying.  He tried to pay for his own 50th anniversary party because we ordered too much food.  Dad raised successful kids.  At that point, we were all in our 40’s and 50’s  pretty well off.  The catering bill wasn’t going to be a big deal no matter what.

I’m a lot like my dad.  I’m generally happier if people just let me grab the check.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

I've seen situations at a restaurant where someone pretends to be going to the washroom, and they actually go and find the waitress and surreptitiously pay for the whole group to avoid having an argument over it.

Also remember a time when I went with someone to get takeout pizza, they were friends with the owner of the pizza place, and they were insisting on paying and the owner was refusing to take their money. The money was given, and fell to the floor because the owner wouldn't physically accept it.  I was standing there looking at the money on the floor, wondering if it'd be an ok compromise for me to just take it myself.  (I think the owner did finally take it)

• Haha 1

My friends and I (I don't get out much but have one group I get dinner with) just rotate who pays, regardless of the bill. We joke on our days to not pay that we will get something really expensive but we don't. My parents are divorced - my mom when we go out to dinner insists on paying, I don't stop her, I can afford it but she's wealthy and it doesn't do any harm. My dad meanwhile has no money so I or my brother pay and he doesn't try to stop us. The issue is really my aunt as she always tries to pay, then my mom will try to pay and it'll be a 10 minute argument while I just look at them like they are insane.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I've seen situations at a restaurant where someone pretends to be going to the washroom, and they actually go and find the waitress and surreptitiously pay for the whole group to avoid having an argument over it.

Why has this never occurred to me.  I am definitely stealing this idea.

About 15-20 years ago,  my mom put up a fuss about switching from AOL to cable internet.  I don’t even remember why.  We talked her into switching to high-speed internet by promising her that we would subscribe her to AOL’s free plan and nothing would change.  Email address would stay the same, could use the same interface, etc.

i don’t remember why, but there was a problem getting her on the free plan.  So, her children’s poorly thought-out plan was to tell her she had the AOL free plan and switch the payment method to one of our credit cards.

lol, that was 20 years ago.  Mom still uses AOL to sign in and use the internet.  She pays her Xfinity bill every month, but still uses the aol app, e-mail, search engine, etc.  And she still thinks AOL is free.  None of the kids has the courage to tell her we lied to her and have been paying her AOL bill for the better part of 20 years.  At this point, I am assuming we will pay the bill until we die, she dies, or AOL goes belly up.

lol, my mom is nearly 80 and formidable.  I’ll gladly pay $600 a year not to have to explain this mess.  I’’m not normally cowardly but, in this case, it seems prudent.  Besides, there are five of us kids, so that makes my part of the bill more like $120 a year. Yes, I am rationalizing.  What is your point?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I had no idea AOL still existed. Do you suppose your family is single-handedly keeping them in business?

My mother in law still uses it.  Father in law would if he knew how to turn on their PC.  When I’m 75 years old I’ll probably stick to ridiculously outdated things too. 

Sorry to bring conversation back to CPAP.

Having a second go at it. Did anyone else find at the start they were going to bed at normal time of about 10/11 only to wake up at 3am fully rested and then hit the wall big time by lunch time? 

Had one good night's sleep with this thing and it was only when I stayed up late watching EPL till 1.30.

Is this a thing? Or just me? If so how long did it take to adjust?

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Having a second go at it. Did anyone else find at the start they were going to bed at normal time of about 10/11 only to wake up at 3am fully rested and then hit the wall big time by lunch time? 

Had one good night's sleep with this thing and it was only when I stayed up late watching EPL till 1.30.

I adjusted pretty fast . I still wake up around four or five but I'm not sure if it's from the better sleep or having to piss. I am an old.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

Nerve-wracking drive to work today.  A wreck at the end of a large bridge stranded me in the center of the bridge for almost an hour.  Kept looking around at the number of semis and buses around me and wondering how long it had been since the bridge had last been inspected. Bridge felt mostly stable though.  I’ve sat in traffic on it before and felt a bit of a vibration.   Still spent the hour gripping the steering wheel a little too tight.  I have a bit of an issue with heights.

• Sad 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

In addition to my day job, I also help mentor trans young adults (who are basically kids to me because I feel as though I'm slowly crumbling into dust) who are struggling with aspects of their transition, either familial rejection or societal issues.

Things come in waves. Sometimes things are great and the kids are doing well, sometimes everyone's struggling with something and it's all quite exhausting.

Well, they're not exhausting, but the situations are exhausting. Anyway.

With college semesters starting up soon, it seems like there's always something to worry about, whether it's new roommates or maybe a transfer to a new school and it's like... there's so much going on. My brain feels like it's swimming. But if it helps them out, it's worth it, I suppose.

On 8/16/2022 at 12:13 PM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

It's possible your doctor may need to adjust the pressure settings for you. My biggest issue was always waking up with a headache at first and just generally feeling like crap.

Now I can't imagine sleeping without it. I get around 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night, plus a nap during the day. I've never had the issue of waking up early.

• Like 2

Oh, didn’t mention it here yet, but we dodged a bullet. My wife had her appointment on Thursday to go over the results of her thyroidectomy. The nodule was large, but thankfully only precancerous, so there was no metastasis and no need for radiation or radio iodine therapy. No cancer for her! Caught it just in time.

After the appointment we immediately thought about what would have happened if she didn’t have a sinus infection months ago. That’s what brought her to the doctor in the first place where they felt a lump for the first time.

Later that night we researched the diagnosis because it was a long one and up until a little bit ago it was still diagnosed as follicular cancer and she would have still been given treatment. They stopped that though because there was no spread of any cancerous cells and so people were getting treatments that were obviously more harmful to them than not doing anything. Crazy stuff.

Thank everyone for the well wishes. It’s been quite a few difficult months.

• Like 16

Long evening at my place last night.  We had several rounds of heavy rain last night and thought the animal shelter we volunteer at was going to experience major flooding.   So the wife and I joined the evacuation effort and ended up bringing home 9 dogs and 4 cats for the night.  Yes, that’s a lot.  I feel like I’ve spent the last 15 hours walking dogs non-stop.  Actually, that was what I did - in between heavy showers - in an effort to have as few accidents in the house as possible.  Fortunately, it was a bit of a false alarm,  Shelter took on water bur didn’t suffer major damage and was put back in order this morning,  

Also have one of our nieces staying on our couch.  Her parents are on vacation and she’s having a mini-meltdown about her upcoming marriage.  Her life plan at the moment is to graduate college in a few months, marry the boyfriend, move to the South and support him for four year while hie is in chiropractic school.  Problem is, she’s not ready to move several states away from family snd maybe not come back.  And, the boyfriend is the son of a chiropractor.  Like a lot of chiropractor’s, his family believes most illnesses can be treated by chiropractic adjustments so they don’t believe in running to the doctor every time their child has a fever or a cough.  They also don’t believe in vaccinations.  The boyfriend never had his childhood vaccinations and managed to get through school because the school he attended slipped up and never actually checked his records.  

Boyfriend is a good guy from a good family and the niece loves him but isn’t cool with some of the more out there tenets of chiropractic medicine.  And the niece is 21 but a sheltered 21.  She doesn’t seem ready to move away from family and start a new life without a support network in place.  Her sisters and cousins generally seemed more mature at 21.  My daughters seemed a lot more independent at that age.  Niece is at at our place because her parents are on vacation and apparently she doesn’t want to be on her own right now, which seems a little odd for a 21-year-old.

lol, life could be worse.  My sister took my 80-year-old mom to church and breakfast this morning.  Over breakfast, mom mentioned she across getting some old books ready to donate to Goodwill and then casually asked if my sister would be interested in a copy of the Kama Sutra.  

Lol, now I have a lot of questions, but there is no way in hell I will ever ask any of them.  Some mysteries are better left unsolved.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

In addition to my day job, I also help mentor trans young adults (who are basically kids to me because I feel as though I'm slowly crumbling into dust) who are struggling with aspects of their transition, either familial rejection or societal issues.

Things come in waves. Sometimes things are great and the kids are doing well, sometimes everyone's struggling with something and it's all quite exhausting.

Well, they're not exhausting, but the situations are exhausting. Anyway.

With college semesters starting up soon, it seems like there's always something to worry about, whether it's new roommates or maybe a transfer to a new school and it's like... there's so much going on. My brain feels like it's swimming. But if it helps them out, it's worth it, I suppose.

Keep up the great work, Stefanie. I’m sure your help means the world (probably literally) to some of those kids. 

Just finished replacing my kitchen sink, faucet, and dishwasher with my brother. It's like the easiest possible plumbing job and it was still a huge asspain that took five hours. I'm too old for this shit I'm calling a pro next time.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

Thank everyone for the well wishes. It’s been quite a few difficult months.

I'm very happy for you. I didn't want to mention this because it worried me to mention it, but my aunt got the leukemia that she eventually passed away from due to the treatment for her thyroid cancer years earlier, so that's always a risk. Usually, a low one. She had breast cancer a few times as well over the years before that. Best wishes.

• Sad 2