DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

On 7/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, Technico Support said:

BUT I am on call for work, so that qualifies as "off hours."  I can recall at least two pretty bad emergencies that hit right when I was having a drink or three and watching a movie.  And that suuuuuuucks.

Gotta love when that happens.  I'm a logic designer, not an IT person, so I normally don't get too many emergencies.  The one fun one I remember was while I was working at Motorola  forever ago, and an issue with first silicon came up during a new years party at my house.  I wound up doing validation work while distracted and drunk in the middle of the party.  Somehow didn't FUBAR it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Gotta love when that happens.  I'm a logic designer, not an IT person, so I normally don't get too many emergencies.  The one fun one I remember was while I was working at Motorola  forever ago, and an issue with first silicon came up during a new years party at my house.  I wound up doing validation work while distracted and drunk in the middle of the party.  Somehow didn't FUBAR it.

I’m the opposite in that nothing sobers me up like a work catastrophe!

• 2 weeks later...

New York Times says CDC is going to call a press conference today and recommend people start wearing masks again.  Not sure if it's all people, certain demographics, certain areas, or what.  Haven't seen the whole article.  

I have zero interest in doing this, so my future seems bleak.  I dunno.  Don't really have a future like this. 

We need to stop coddling the anti-vaxxers and start holding them accountable for this.

Edit: Apparently, it's going to be advised for people who live in high transmission areas or are elderly, etc.

Edited by Eoae

New York City becoming the first municipality in the US to mandate proof of vaccination for gyms, restaurants, most other public settings.  

Hopefully other cities and states follow suit fairly quickly.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eoae said:

New York City becoming the first municipality in the US to mandate proof of vaccination for gyms, restaurants, most other public settings.  

Hopefully other cities and states follow suit fairly quickly.  

I like the dual purpose that moves like this, and federal, state, and local government vaccine or testing mandates, will hopefully have.  Sure, it'll make these places safer for vaccinated people.  But it also makes life more inconvenient for the unvaccinated, hopefully to the point where it's easier to give in and get the shot then it is to avoid places or get tested every week.

I try to see the best in people and I really feel like the vehemently anti-vax crowd is far outweighed by the people who have just been putting it off, the people who think it's not as bad, or the people who think it just can't happen to them.

• Like 1

My girlfriend to her dad (who, considering his age and past medical history would be considered high risk if he caught Covid) when he said he didn't think he needed the vaccine if he just wore a mask: "Stop getting all of your news from fucking Facebook and go get the god damn shot". I feel like that statement can apply to a lot of people. 

*edit to add* and you best believe he took his ass to the nearest pharmacy and got a shot that day lol. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I really can't fathom choosing mask over vaccine.  I would never make that choice.  Walking around in public looking at people in masks nosedives my mental health to scary levels.  Not really sure what will happen to me when round 2 of mask mandates really kicks in.  Lol, that should probably concern me more than it does

His reasoning was stupid. About 8 years ago he got a flu shot and then a month or two after that he contracted pneumonia which he almost died from. He's been convinced to this day that it was the shot that gave him pneumonia (I know, I know believe me I know) so that's why he didn't want to get the vaccine. He's a very nice guy and I like him a lot but he gets some odd shit in his head sometimes. 

Edited by BrianS81177

Yeah like I said, at heart he's a good guy. Which applies to some other folks I know who haven't gotten it. For some of them it's the fact that it was made so quickly, for some it's the fact that it hasn't gotten FDA approval yet, and a couple have even told me they don't want it because they're worried about side effects 5 or 10 years down the line (again, believe me I know....) but these are all good people who I have made my case to and now I just leave it to them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

His reasoning was stupid. About 8 years ago he got a flu shot and then a month or two after that he contracted pneumonia which he almost died from. He's been convinced to this day that it was the shot that gave him pneumonia (I know, I know believe me I know) so that's why he didn't want to get the vaccine. He's a very nice guy and I like him a lot but he gets some odd shit in his head sometimes. 

My dad got sick after a flu shot and hated getting them as result. Still didn't think twice about getting the covid vaccine. There is always a risk at getting sick from these shots. Still better than havign no protection at all.

My oldest sister and her husband are sadly among the idiot side of things when it comes to the shot.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

for some it's the fact that it hasn't gotten FDA approval yet

Fuck do I hate this talking point, along with the ones that say the vaccine is "experimental."  Neither is true.  You can literally Google "is the covid vaccine FDA-approved" and get the answer in 5 seconds. 

If it weren't such a threat to public health, I'd relish the delicious irony that conspiracy theorists are being led around by the nose by bullshit propaganda.

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Fuck do I hate this talking point, along with the ones that say the vaccine is "experimental."  Neither is true.  You can literally Google "is the covid vaccine FDA-approved" and get the answer in 5 seconds. 

If it weren't such a threat to public health, I'd relish the delicious irony that conspiracy theorists are being led around by the nose by bullshit propaganda.

I think that when the vaccines do get full approval, the anti-vaxxers who trot out the 'not approved" bs will just move on to some other excuse.  Some people will be swayed when full approval is given, but I'm guessing most just need something to justify their position.  

No idea if this is true, but a pharmaceutical rep told me that the Pfizer vaccine is just down to bureaucratic matters: labeling, figuring out how long it can be stored before it goes bad, etc.  In any case, I expect there's a zero percent change the Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccine don't get full approval.

Therapist told me this morning that my pandemic mental health is better than his.  If that's true, that dude definitely should not be treating patients.

• Like 1

Even then, so much of the time, the best answer to their hysteria is, "So what?"

Excuse me if you've ever seen someone else explain this (or I did in the Discord), but let's just imagine all the anti-vaxxers over time were right (they're not).  Let's say 1 in 50 kids did get autism from childhood vaccinations (they don't).  So what?  Seriously, in the long run, so the fuck what?  Your kid's got a tougher life ahead, but your kid is ALIVE.  Your kid - and potentially dozens of others - didn't end up dead, crippled, sterilized, or blind from something like measles, mumps, or rubella as a result. 

Really, what these choads are telling the world is not, "Think twice! We don't know what the consequences are!"  Instead it's, "I'm a huge asshole, and I don't care what the consequences are for anyone else, no matter how bad, as long as my life isn't inconvenienced."

I wish it were possible to auto-reply to every bit of their bullshit with that explanation, since clearly hearing about fucking measles outbreaks in the 21st century isn't enough.  This is also in some part why we don't have a Lyme disease vaccine (not that I've had it, but Lyme disease is fucking awful as far as typically non-lethal diseases go).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I think that when the vaccines do get full approval, the anti-vaxxers who trot out the 'not approved" bs will just move on to some other excuse.  Some people will be swayed when full approval is given, but I'm guessing most just need something to justify their position.  

Yeah, this argument consistently makes me want to go off on one. Maybe there are a handful of ill-informed people out there who are legitimately waiting on full FDA approval without completely understanding what that really means. But the bulk of the holdouts? Trusting the FDA should be incongruent with most of their overall set of beliefs, and I know that's the case for a good many people. I resent those who I know are disingenuously using this talking point as a cudgel because most still won't be taking the jab when it gets full approval.

The thing they'll pivot to from this ought to be louder talk of "and here's why the FDA is bad."

Edited by John from Cincinnati

On 8/4/2021 at 6:22 AM, Eoae said:

As I've said elsewhere, there's no such thing as vaccine-hesitant anymore.  It's all just anti-vaccine or anti-vaccine couched as vaccine-hesitant.  Time is not a factor - the vaccines have been widely available for 7 months with EASY access for at least 4 or 5 (at least in the US).  No, at this point, it's just "I don't wanna get it because [insert reason here, 99.5% of which are nonsense, uninformed or conspiracy-related] but I'm going to try and make it sound like I'm being thorough and cautious by spouting stuff that sounds factual but isn't correct."

I know people who are not vaccinated and it really all just boils down to "I don't like being told what to do" even if it's detrimental to their health or somebody else's.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to look into a booster shot since it's been 6 full months since I got my 2nd shot.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

I guess we'll find out who's hardcore and who's just reluctant.  Vaccination rates are starting to go back up and the US did the highest number of shots and first shots it's done in a couple months (800-900 thousand, with 500+ k being first shots).   Hopefully we can get shots back up to about 1 million and keep it there for a few months. 

As far as I know, booster shots haven't been approved/recommended for US citizens yet.  What I read is that they'll probably be advised for older age groups and immunio-suppressed.   Not sure the rest of us will be able to get a third shot on demand or not.  Lol, not even sure I want one even though I'm pro-vaccination.  If our future is masks and crowdless sports and the like, I may start eating only butter and trans fats and cut back on anything that would keep me in this hellish world longer.  I still work out because I enjoy it but my diet is definitely a lot worse than it's been in years.

Edited by Eoae

So, uh, one thing you should avoid is watching a Cronenberg movie, turning it off because it makes you too grossed out to eat, then turning on something else that involves torturing someone by pulling their teeth. Just. Fucking. Don't.

Edited by Contentious C

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just got fired.  On the one hand I hated my (not very good) job, but on the other I would always prefer to leave on my own terms.

Weirdly next month will be exactly 20 years since the last time I got fired, so at least I don't seem to be making a habit of it.

• Sad 6

Feel like I need to reiterate this today: I know this place isn't perfect, but nowhere is, but one thing I know is that no one, from the guy who times the length of matches on a stopwatch to the person who just posts a bunch of pics and gifs to the old southern guy who means well but maybe struggles with 2021, is alone here. This thread is full of frustrations and concerns, loss, addiction, illness, fear, and almost every post has someone reacting or responding and a whole bunch of people reading. Not all of those people are going to be the best, most supportive people, but on average, more will be than won't, with a certain anonymity and cover too. Life is exceptionally hard today. I woke up at 3:30 last night and just felt buffeted with bad stuff going on. I'm sure a lot of you woke up this morning feeling the same. But if you found your way here, to this message board, in 2021, and you're not the world's biggest ass, you're not alone. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Octopus said:

I just woke up from a dream where @Craig H lost a bet and had to buy me beer, but when the tab came he said “split the tabs.” I’m disappointed in you, Craig.

Man, that would be very uncharacteristic of me. I'm also disappointed in my dream self. 

• Haha 1