DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

My wife and I had breakfast with my brother and sister-in-law, and they asked how I was coping with the pandemic.

I kinda wanted to tell them the truth, but... that opens a whole can of worms.  So I said fine.

I just felt sad even talking to them.  Kept thinking of my kids and nieces and nephews.  They're just starting to lead their own lives.  At least I'm old enough to have had a couple decades to do stuff.  I'm hoping science can salvage the world for that generation.  I feel like it's probably too late for a large portion of the older generation.  My parents barely know how to turn on a computer, so they probably won't do well in whatever Great Depression/more digital era results from this.

I'm probably ruined no matter what happens from this point.

Sorry.  Just venting.

So I found out today via a random message on Facebook that I likely have a "long lost" half brother. This guy's wife sent me a message as such, and the information she gave points to this happening about a year before my parents were married. He would've been born two and a half months before their wedding, so the conception would've been a year before. I don't remember all the full details of my parent's courtship, but I believe it was brief, just a couple of months, and they were married right before he was shipped out to Vietnam, so the timeline does match up. She told me that my dad did know about him and that my dad did try to reach out shortly after he returned home, but he was denied by the women's father, then I guess never tried following up again. 

Anyway, those details aren't too important. I do believe it to be true, but looking up this guy on Facebook shows me he's likely not somebody who would really fit within our family at this time. Without going in to much detail about either side, let's just say his political leanings are far to the other side of the rest of us. I don't know if politics are a good enough reason to avoid reaching out to a long lost half brother, but with the current political climate, I dont think it would go well in the long run. 

Also, my father passed away over two years ago and my mother has been struggling a bit ever since. They were married over 50 years and were wonderful together. Introducing this right now could be too much for her. I also wonder if she already knows and they both just never told us after all this time? How would I even approach the subject with her, if I did? 

I emailed my other brothers letting them know the information I know to see what they might think about moving forward with it from here and am waiting to hear back. Its just such a weird thing to know right now.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Someone I considered a good friend, is no longer my coworker. She was a good friend, but a real shitty coworker. She was always late and calling out. Because she and the boss were friends, she'd basically be joined at her hip and do as little as possible. Her and I once almost got into it on the phone because I was calling to find out where she was since she was 20 minutes late and she kept insisting that she was off that day.  The end came when the company was looking for a mid managment level person to work the night shift. She put it for it and flat out told everyone that she was quitting if she didn't get it, and several other people didn't apply for it because it was assumed that she'd just get it anyway. Well, when the higher ups were going over the applicants and saw how often she was late and missed work, they were questioning why the hell was she even still employed, let alone thinking that she was the right choice to promote. So, to paraphrase Jim Cornette "They were really far apart." 

I am good friends with a coworker who is not a good employee. She misses a lot of work, disappears for hours, and has more family "issues" than any 5 people. She is constantly complaining about how our boss picks on her and is unfair because of this or that. I just give her a sympathetic ear and laugh to myself. Like he would give her crap about working from home one day. Meanwhile, I asked to work from home to care for my wife a couple days a week and he told me to stay home every day and do it as long as I needed. I guess when you're reliable and do good work, you don't get "picked on", lol. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 4

Guys, don't get me started on co-workers not pulling their weight, but I can tell you I know where you're coming from!

I refrain from posting this on any of the wrestling threads, as it has very little to do with it, but I read an interesting piece of news last weekend.

Here in Finland, in an attempt to curb cyber bullying amongst school children, they have apparently created a new font, which automatically alters negative phrases etc. into something kinder. It also blurrs obscenities etc. altogether, automatically.

They used the sentence "I hate you" as an example and said it was corrected into "I disagree with you" (wouldn't it be so much cooler if it was "we are very far apart on this one" ?)

This font, affectionately dubbed "the wussy font" (no,  it isn't really, it did have a name, but I forget) is meant to make the writer in question reflect upon the message about to be sent,  before actually sending it.

I found this interesting. I wonder if it will catch on? The idea is wonderful, in fact, but would it actually make a difference? Try anything, at this point. The cause is worthy enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post this in the jokes thread, but as it turns out it's been dead for 4 and a half years, and we're not supposed to bump dead threads now. So, I just wanted to ask, are there any medical experts here? I need to know if it's possible to donate skin cells from your butt, to be used in a skin graft for someone who's not a blood relative. Ass skin for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Supposedly there is supposed to be some sort of electrical storm tonight that will make the Aurora Borealis visible for a while. I texted my 20 year old nephew to tell him this and his response was "AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?"

I love that kid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/29/2020 at 1:39 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Supposedly there is supposed to be some sort of electrical storm tonight that will make the Aurora Borealis visible for a while. I texted my 20 year old nephew to tell him this and his response was "AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?"

I love that kid. 

Can I see it?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Super Weak Machine said:

The guy who made my sandwich yesterday looked almost exactly like Thijs van Leer circa 1971.

I originally read this wrong and thought the SANDWICH looked like that and was about to post "pics or didn't happen", then re-read the post and understood it correctly. Now, if it actually WAS the sandwich, it would have definitely belonged to the "Post an Interesting Picture"-thread.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone, it's finally happened. The big 4-0. I've got the 'Fuck Yeah! Socks!!!" stage of life. Fries are no longer appetizing. Salads are damn appetizing surprisingly. But it's been a good birthday though. Nice and quiet. Just me and the wife. Looking forward to about 50 more of these. Cheers everyone ?. Btw, what kind of midlife crisis car should I get lol?

Edited by Black Angel
  • Like 6