DVDVR Message Board

Apparently Dan Gilbert and LBJ have made up now, there's an article about it up on Yahoo Sports. Main quote from it:

"We had five great years together and one terrible night," Gilbert told James, and so started the process of reconciliation on Sunday night in Miami. "I told him how sorry I was, expressed regret for how that night went and how I let all the emotion and passion for the situation carry me away. I told him I wish I had never done it, that I wish I could take it back."

I'm not surprised Lebron returned to the Cavs, I did say there was a high possibility of it happening if the Heat didn't 3peat in one of the semi-final topics & I think I said something about he could go back to the Cavs and want to win a title for them. There's talk of Kevin Love possibly coming in & I'm guessing they have cap space available to land another free agent and they need some experienced players too to come off the bench when needed. I've heard that Miller & Allen might be following LBJ to the Cavs so they need to follow a formula similar to what Miami did when their first assembled the big 3 & co. Surprised that Miami signed Chris Bosh to such a big deal, I like Bosh as a player but wouldn't sign him to that kinda deal. They should have went all out to get Lebron sign the max deal, had Wade accept abit less and traded Bosh to make way for say a quality center & PG, then rebuild that way. I'd like to see Lebron win the title for the Cavs as it would be a great story, but we'll have to wait and see how the team gels and if there's still any animosity between LBJ and the Cavs fans and stuff because that plays a part. But to use a wrestling term, he should be coming back as a super over Babyface in theory instead of becoming a monster heel when he left to join the Heat.  

WHEN WILL MY SUFFERING CEASE.

Dude, cheer up!!! Your team kept Pau Gasol from becoming a Spur. Also, Rose may only miss half a season this year. 

How effective will Rose be when he does return though.  He will still probably be a quality player but no where near the level prior to him having 2 bad knees.

and no one is expecting them to win a title this year, right?  Or next really.  All I keep hearing is "no pressure to win!"

Maaaaybe in a third year...

So they're renting this one guy for the two years they know he's not going to bring them a title but not for a third or fourth year when he might be able to?

If they pull off a deal for Love (especially one that doesn't cost Wiggins, which is less likely) I think they immediately become the best team in the East unless they hit major chemistry problems, and could very well win the title this year.

Without Love, I think the team is just too young.

Here's a fun thought:  They trade for Love, sign Miller and Allen.  Imagine A.) How many points a Kyrie/Ray/Miller/James/Love lineup would give up and B.) how the fuck would you defend them?

Has there been any reaction from Wade yet? I'm just hoping he doesn't act like a child like Kevin Garnett.

Wade released a very nice statement

As a friend and a teammate, I am sad to see my brother LeBron leave to begin a new journey. In 2010, we decided to come together all for one goal — to win championships and we succeeded. We were friends when we first joined the league and created an unbreakable bond the past four years. Our collaboration will always be very special to me both personally and professionally. We shared something unique and he will always be part of my family. LeBron made the right decision for him and his family because home is where your heart is. I know this was not an easy decision to make and I support him in returning to his roots. As an organization, a community, and as individuals, we achieved the goals we set when we first signed on together. We are champions.

• Like 1

The two-year contract has more to do with the new TV deal that the NBA will sign in 2016.  It's going to increase the salary cap to around $80M.  LeBron will want a bigger piece of the salary cap pie come 2016.

But I can't lie.  The possibility of LeBron telling Gilbert good-bye again in a year amuses me.

No way, no how that LeBron leaves Cleveland again in one or two years. In fact, I would be floored if he does not retire a Cavalier. He is too thoughtful about his legacy to leave his hometown again, and understands the permanent ramifications that leaving Cleveland again would cause. LeBron is also a sharp businessman, hence this initial two-year deal. However, his return to Cleveland is a lifetime pact that cannot be broken.

No way, no how that LeBron leaves Cleveland again in one or two years. In fact, I would be floored if he does not retire a Cavalier. He is too thoughtful about his legacy to leave his hometown again, and understands the permanent ramifications that leaving Cleveland again would cause. LeBron is also a sharp businessman, hence this initial two-year deal. However, his return to Cleveland is a lifetime pact that cannot be broken.

I agree.  That letter pretty much guaranteed Lebron in Cleveland for life.  Incredibly bold move.

The dude just switched the narrative on it's head.  For some people, he was always going to need 6.  Just like Kobe needs 6.  This move really does change the entire discussion.  What's 2.. 3.. 4 in MIA compared to 1 in Cle?  Unprecedented stuff.

When the team has no chemistry and they either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round this year; then, he opts out and goes to the Trail Blazers, we'll all look like fools!

I think it's now highly unlikely he leaves in his prime barring a major incident that splits the team.

But Lebron strikes me as the kind of guy that should still have quite a bit of value even as his body breaks down, given his high basketball IQ and absurdly great passing, and I could see him latching onto a contender when he's 37 or so chasing one more ring.