DVDVR Message Board

Need to backup my Ipod Classic

OK, here's the sitch.  Right now all my music is on a laptop that's not long for this world.  I have a brand-spanking-new desktop with a beautifully empty hard drive and I want to get the music from my Ipod Classic (160 GB) to my desktop.  I've found a few utilities that accomplish this, but they're "free to try" and I'm looking for a straight-up free one.  Does such a utility exist?

Oh, incidentally, the laptop doesn't have a burner so I can't just backup to disc and then put it on the new computer.

I've used MediaMonkey to backup my two iPod Classics.  In fact, I recommend using it instead of iTunes altogether, because it's MUCH easier to add/delete files on a device with as much storage as a Classic than is iTunes.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

The free version is just fine.  I've also heard great things about MusicBee.

getmusicbee.com/

If everything is on the laptop now, you might consider iTunes Match.

It's $25/year, but it will upload everything on your laptop now into their cloud, and then you have it on any connected device/computer, either to stream or download.

The sweetest part is, every song you have that is on iTunes store it will then give you the high bitrate version...so your 56kb pirated copy of freebird suddenly becomes the official 320kb version.

The biggest drawback is how long it can take to upload initially if you have an ISP that gives you crappy upload bandwidth.  You also get iTunes Radio with it, so you might save some $$$ if that works as a substitute for Pandora or whatever.  Nice to have a radio service that is ad-free.

I did this without software. used windows explorer to get into the ipod. Used the view tab to show hidden files. Moved the music files onto the desktop. Once there opened Itunes and dragged the files into Itunes which unscrambled them back into their original form. I didn't any other choice at the time though the desktop they were on was fried. 

Your solution is what I was going to suggest. The only drawback is that the filenames are nonsense. But you can use a utility to rename them based on their ID3 tags.