DVDVR Message Board

The 2014 Emmys

Dolfan in NYC

How does whatever 'The Normal Heart' is get six nominations for the actors, and not get nominated as best show? I mean, if you had a terribly plotted, terribly shot show littered with continuity errors and with a story that made no sense, BUT it had six of the best acting performances all year, that would still be a great show, yeah?

How does whatever 'The Normal Heart' is get six nominations for the actors, and not get nominated as best show? I mean, if you had a terribly plotted, terribly shot show littered with continuity errors and with a story that made no sense, BUT it had six of the best acting performances all year, that would still be a great show, yeah?

imdb says it's a TV movie.  Still, your point stands.

If you had seen THE NORMAL HEART, you would know. It's terrible. It dominated the acting categories because 1) miniseries/movie was really thin this year, and 2) it's filled with movie stars and Emmy favorite TV players who get nominated based on their name, regardless.

Of the nominated actors, only Bomar is really good in it it. And the only other strong performance, by Taylor Kitsch, didn't even get nominated because, you know, they had to nominate Jim Parsons for struggling mightily to not be Sheldon and Alfred Molina for being Alfred Molina in a nothing role.

I should really be over the Emmys' fascination with MODERN FAMILY by now, but come the fuck on. You have a choice between Andre Braugher and Tony Hale, and you chose...some shmuck from that fucking show.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised it's turned into a SHERLOCK love-in, but that probably speaks to how weak a year it was in the movie/miniseries department. Better that than defaulting to Let's Award A Show That Tackled The Issues and giving shitty THE NORMAL HEART everything, though.

I mean, FARGO blew away everything else in this category by a wide margin, but it's on FX, so it was lucky to get the time of day to begin with.