DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: INSANE CLOWN POSSE

RIPPA

Shaggy 2 Dope once got a Cruiserweight Championship title shot against Lenny Lane

ICP and 2 Tuff Tony vs Glenn Giberti David Young & Kid Kash in a Dark Carnival match

Violent Jay eats a stunner

I'd really like to see this match from their own promotion in 2009:

Scott Hall, Sid Vicious, Corporal Robinson, Shaggy 2 Dope & Violent J vs. Trent Acid, Altar Boy Tom, Altar Boy Terry, Altar Boy Todd & Altar Boy Tim

That sounds like a trainwreck.

I love that Terry Funk casually mentions "the next time I have a retirement match" while telling that story.

I think the ICP hate is misplaced.  Sure, they're bad wrestlers but they seem mostly harmless.  Hell, there are much better wrestlers I hate more.  If I was in charge of hate week, Sabu and Santino Marella would be strong contenders and those two are hardly trhe worst of the worst.

(Konnan would still make the cut.

The Mike Awesome match is great for Awesome power-bombing him on the roof, then trying to save him as he falls off the bus: "I hate you I'm gonna destroy you with this power bomb....whoa whoa whoa...I don't want you to get hurt!"

At a WCW Nitro taping here, my brother and cousin got these amazing seats directly behind the announcers and while waiting for the show to start some juggalo comes up to them and says "ICP are gonna be here! And if you cheer for them and chant their name during the show, they'll come out and give you candy and stuff."  So this poor sad juggalo spent the whole night chanting for ICP but ICP were not there, did not show up and did not give out candy.  I like to imagine him as The Saddest Lil' Juggalo and imagine him going home and waiting in a pumpkin patch for the ICP to arrive.

• Like 4

I think the ICP hate is misplaced. Sure, they're bad wrestlers but they seem mostly harmless. Hell, there are much better wrestlers I hate more. If I was in charge of hate week, Sabu and Santino Marella would be strong contenders and those two are hardly trhe worst of the worst.

As we learned in the monthly thread, some people have a bizarre hatred of Zack Ryder.

Also, dafuq? Go to the store and drop a few bills (ones, the only bills I assume the little juggalump had access to) and you can get candy. Why you need someone in clownface to give you candy is weird.

If I hadn't already done the Harris Twins - they so would be showing up this week

There is plenty of room in the world for more Harris Brothers hate.

ICP.

not great wrestlers.

not great singers/rappers.

excellent entertainers.

haven't seen a JCW show in a long ass time, but i thought the first couple dvds were decent enough. hell, they poke a shit ton of fun at themselves in the commentary.

when they dubbed over the King of the Death Match japanese tournament, it was awesome. Lama Namanuemi.

they appeared in ECW and wrestled in WCW, WWF, and TNA. that's pretty cool. i don't remember any matches (at all) that were any sort of good, but they were never fucking terrible either. and i sincerely doubt they charged much for their appearances, so it probably paid off along the way.

that being said, "juggalos" can be the worst human beings on earth.

The best part of them being in TNA was like the whole crowd on the camera side was nothing but their fans. People were actually going to Nashville to see them. But TNA being TNA they were like "HEY...you being over doesn't count unless we want you over". Plus I think a couple of riots broke out when people couldn't get into the shows.

Sad to sa, I can't join in on the hate for ICP. There's just too much info out there that portrays them as decent guys with a deep love of pro rasslin. Yes, they've found a huge bunch of marks to work, and good on them for that. I pretty much feel that juggalos should be shot on sight, but that's just me. Fortunately, as someone said earlier, the juggalos are real big on wearing ICP apparel which makes them easy to spot and avoid or whatever.

As for ICP, who's to say how many people on here wouldn't behave exactly the same way if they had the money and notoriety to get away with booking themselves in matches?

No hate for ICP, but just oodles for their fans. Thankfully, all of the gatherings seem to be in the Midwest so I don't need to worry about NM being overrun with such. I'll just have to deal with all the faux MMA experts running around Gallup.

Phil: So far Konnan is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else. At least Hogan has entertained me on occasion. I really want Konnan to walk around on Central Ave. in Albuquerque some Saturday night and we'll see just how rowdy rowdy he is... The vatos locos in ABQ would make a breakfast burrito out of him.

Sadly, the whole "ICP are good guys" meme seems to kinda screech to a halt the very instant you bring women into the equation. They're nastily misogynistic at times, I mean they've got issues with women. Go find the infamous clip of Shaggy making a rape victim cry to see what I mean.

Otherwise, to describe them in short: great entrepreneurs, stellar shooty-comedy announcers, goofily inspired bookers, okay-to-forgettable rappers, incredibly amateurish filmmakers, and downright terrible wrestlers. Shaggy can occasionally crap out a decent highspot or bump, but Violent J is damn near as bad as me in the ring.

Easily their best contribution to wrestling (not counting those Stranglemania tapes) are the JCP shows. I'm a big mark for bizarro-world WAR-style "what the hell?!" matchups, and the Clowns are apparently even BIGGER marks for those. "Hey Shaggy, what would it look like if the Great Muta wrestled the Necro Butcher?" "I dunno J, let's book them and find out!" Now THAT'S cool. They're also one of the few indy promoters who actually pay their talent a decent wage, too. And those Flashlight Wrestling shows at the Gatherings sound SO spectacularly entertaining that I'd actually love to attend one someday.

ICP and 2 Tuff Tony vs Glenn Giberti David Young & Kid Kash in a Dark Carnival match

Aw damn it, why doesn't that video have David Young's hilarious prematch promo? David's got a legit phobia of clowns; and this being a Russo show, naturally that means he gets booked against them in a feud. He went on a bizarre rant that included something approximately like:

They're all nice and friendly at first, with the balloons and they're all "C'mere, c'mere little boy!" and then suddenly out come the teeth and the claws and then you're dead on the floor!!!

The best part of them being in TNA was like the whole crowd on the camera side was nothing but their fans. People were actually going to Nashville to see them. But TNA being TNA they were like "HEY...you being over doesn't count unless we want you over". Plus I think a couple of riots broke out when people couldn't get into the shows.

Not quite a riot, more like the Juggalos just multiplied the number of fights at the building and the number of people who got thrown out by security every week. (Legit at least a hundred of 'em showed up every week the Clowns were there, maybe two hundred or even more, which makes a big different in a building as relatively small as the Nashville Fairgrounds.) Plus, so much litter, Faygo bottles everywhere. Very few of the regulars missed the Juggalos once the clowns left. Still, the Clowns certainly made damn sure to please their own fans during their cup-of-coffee tenure in TNA, they got there early enough every week to have big-ass tailgate parties in the parking lot with whoever wanted to show up. (I didn't go, but I'm sure those had to be more entertaining than their matches.)

I wonder if Serious Darius will comment in here (assuming that's actually him and not a tribute account, which I think is the case)? I'd understand if he didn't, but it'd be neat to get an inside perspective.

Sadly, the whole "ICP are good guys" meme seems to kinda screech to a halt the very instant you bring women into the equation. They're nastily misogynistic at times, I mean they've got issues with women. Go find the infamous clip of Shaggy making a rape victim cry to see what I mean.

Would you say they have more issues than Vince Russo?  How wide is the gap on that front?

I am not a fan of ICP's music or wrestling but they get points for perhaps my favorite moment of commentary ever when they were building up Sting vs. Vampiro I think for the JCW title and they yell out that Sting's not a contender for the title because "He's never beaten Mad Man Pondo!"

• Like 1

Jingus:

Didn't know about the misogyny. Good to know that I can go back to hating on them as well as their fans.

I marvel at the notion that Violent J was a jobber at two tapings. Would that imply that he was a Power Plant alum? Or, did he just bs his way in? I'd venture to say that DEAN and I could work a better match than these two idiots and DEAN's in his forties and I'm in my fifties with a bad back and shot knees. These two are beyond terrible in the ring, the frigging Misfits were better. Hell, David Arquette was better. ICP reminds me of the two kids across the street playing wrestling. Of course, they're only like eight or nine so they have an excuse for being awful. ICP does not.